How to "downgrade" from 15 to 13?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bosseb
Level 1
Level 1

How to "downgrade" from 15 to 13?

Post by bosseb »

I downloaded and installed the "latset" Linux Mint which happened to be #15.
Then I installed and configured "everything" I needed for development.
Now I found that this version will not work more than 6-7 months after which the updates will not be available anymore! :evil:
It seems like only Mint 13 has a decent time span for use (until 2017).
So my question now is if/how it is possible to "downgrade" the current machine Mint15 to Mint13 and still keep all of he customizations I have made?
Or do I have to reinstall everything again?
THere should have been a prominent warning about this on the download page....

SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to "downgrade" from 15 to 13?

Post by SiKing »

Reinstall, it's the only way to be sure. :mrgreen:
BTW, the "warning" you speak of is here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php and always on the release notes.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

If it's working, keep it until January.
At that time you will choose between the 16 and 13. :wink:
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

killer de bug wrote:If it's working, keep it until January. At that time you will choose between the 16 and 13. :wink:
Personally I would not expect Mint 16 to be available before May 2014. This yields a gap of 4 months ...
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

bosseb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bosseb »

SiKing wrote:Reinstall, it's the only way to be sure. :mrgreen:
BTW, the "warning" you speak of is here: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php and always on the release notes.
OK,
does this mean:
- install 13 on top of 15 and keep user data and settings?
- or, install fresh by formatting the drive and lose everything done so far?

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx »

I would leave Mint 15 alone if it is doing what you want or need it to do... When it reaches the end of its support life, it doesn't stop working or blow up your machine! :lol: It just stops getting updates - no real tragedy there. I would use Mint 15 until the release of Mint 17 (the next LTS edition) which should be in about 1 year (~May 2014). The support life for Mint 17 should be 5 years making its end of support life = April 2019.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Post by passerby »

bosseb wrote: does this mean:
If you have a separate /home partition, I'd just format / and use the existing /home partition during install without formatting it.
If you don't, you can look at making a new partition, copying your /home data over, then doing the above.
You can just wipe everything and do a completely clean install, but if you spend time tweaking your system and/or setting everything up, that just seems like an unnecessary pain.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

bosseb wrote:
OK,
does this mean:
Each new edition is like "Do I want to be a Beta tester or not" the developers being the Alpha testers. If you weren't a Beta tester in Windows, why do that in Linux? I agree with Reorx, take the slow ride and procrastinate, why look for trouble on another Beta type release?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

bosseb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bosseb »

Spearmint2 wrote:
bosseb wrote:
OK,
does this mean:
Each new edition is like "Do I want to be a Beta tester or not" the developers being the Alpha testers. If you weren't a Beta tester in Windows, why do that in Linux? I agree with Reorx, take the slow ride and procrastinate, why look for trouble on another Beta type release?
Right, but I did not know this situation being not so used to Linux in the first place.
And on the Linux Mint main page the version 15 is announced as the Mint to get and a newcomer would not know that you have to beware of the beta status and possibly get an "old" version instead....

But as I see it now:
- Create a new Linux Mint 13 machine (no data transfer from the first one)
- Configure it like the first one (Linux Mint 15) (from memory or some notes)
- Use it with regular updates etc until 2017
- In 2017 "upgrade" to whatever at that time is the long time support version
Did I get that right now?

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

karlchen wrote:
killer de bug wrote:If it's working, keep it until January. At that time you will choose between the 16 and 13. :wink:
Personally I would not expect Mint 16 to be available before May 2014. This yields a gap of 4 months ...
Linux Mint releases new versions every 6 months as they follow the Ubuntu release schedule. So Linux Mint 16 will "hit the streets" shortly after Ubuntu 13.10 which will be released in September of this year therefor, no gap. Linux Mint 17 will be released in May 2014. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

But as I see it now:
- Create a new Linux Mint 13 machine (no data transfer from the first one)
- Configure it like the first one (Linux Mint 15) (from memory or some notes)
- Use it with regular updates etc until 2017
- In 2017 "upgrade" to whatever at that time is the long time support version
Did I get that right now?
That's it! Look for the LTS versions being issued (Long Term Service), otherwise every 6 months you are facing moving to the next Beta like version.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

bosseb wrote:There should have been a prominent warning about this on the download page....
While I feel for your situation, why would a warning on the download page be necessary? You installed Mint 15 directly, not from an upgrade, so why would you assume you could downgrade via "downgrade"? I haven't used an OS that I could downgrade before, but maybe there are some out there where you can?

If you go to[url]http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php[/url] you can see every release and its support end date. That's on the downloads/all page of the website so the info was there, although perhaps missed while you were having a look around.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I don't think any OS from any source has ever offered the ability to down grade in place. Upgrades, yes, but down grades..
The support cycle for Mint and Ubuntu is now nine months, not 6 or 7. We are kinda in an awkward spot, go back a year or wait a year for LTS. If you really want to just settle in for a few years go ahead and do a clean install of Mint13 and if you activate the Mint Backports repo you will be able to enjoy many of the features of 15 while still enjoying the stability of an LTS.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

bosseb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bosseb »

THanks,
I have now installed the Mint13 and lamp-server, openssh-server and a few other tools.
Remains still to fully configure it.
My use is as a test webserver with php and mysql support and such, so I probably do not need any eyecandy available in Mint15.
Most of the time it will be just quietly serving out the webpages I am working on in my Win7 workstation.

I have launched the update manager and it found 445 Mb worth of updates, which it is busy installing right now.

InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

bosseb wrote:THanks,
I have now installed the Mint13 and lamp-server, openssh-server and a few other tools.
Remains still to fully configure it.
My use is as a test webserver with php and mysql support and such, so I probably do not need any eyecandy available in Mint15.
Most of the time it will be just quietly serving out the webpages I am working on in my Win7 workstation.

I have launched the update manager and it found 445 Mb worth of updates, which it is busy installing right now.
Cool. I'd say you made the right move for sure since this is a server. Set her up and relax with nothing but security updates for 4 years.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Newbie Questions”