Using dd- Command, I lost my Partition, Can I get it Back?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ashfaq
Level 2
Level 2

Using dd- Command, I lost my Partition, Can I get it Back?

Post by ashfaq »

Friends, I was looking for a cloning software in linux, and found a webpage explaining the same,"http://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/linux-based-disk-cloning-imaging-software/" Bingo, while reading the first Option of DD command, I was tempted to test, I opened an terminal and fired ." dd if=/dev/sdb6 of=/dev/sda6 bs=1M conv=noerror and when it started, I realized, I had done a mistake, that is within 30secs, and I pressed control+c but I think it was too late.
I lost my NTFS Partition (Sda6) with a data of 79GB, as of now the partition, is not listed in Mint14, and win 7 lists, but the contents invisible,says it needs to format the partition, as the file system is damaged!
What is done is done, but now I am looking forward for help if I could get this partition back, In linux I am told it is possible, Please help me out how I could get this partition back, and working, a lot of Movies, Ghost Copies of previous Mint13, win7 is in thier. I don;t want to lose it.
Please help out with a proper tuturial. This happened because of dd may be dd could reverse it as well, which is something I am looking for... sincerely waiting to be helped.!!
Thanking you all in advance!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Using dd- Command, I lost my Partition, Can I get it Bac

Post by xenopeek »

Look into testdisk and photorec: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk. These tools can recover deleted files, also from deleted partitions. You won't get your partition back, but you can likely recover majority of the files. You will need another partition of at least that size to recover the files to.

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Zalbor »

When I ruined my partition table once, I used a terminal program called "gpart" to recover it, but it may be too complex for you...
The good thing about it though was that it recovered the partition in place. Windows never booted again and I had to reinstall, but I could copy my files using Linux.

ashfaq
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashfaq »

Thanks, Dear Zalbor, I will check the gpart stuff, I tried the testdisk but it could not find the partition. I did it in win7 though! after four hours of deep search, all the partitions were displayed even the one deleted, but on pressing "p"for files it stated damaged file system? and I could do no more! Or is there somethin else to be done. Please guide me if you do find anything! I will try out.

Return to “Newbie Questions”