MATE? Cinnamon?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Angeltoast
Level 1
Level 1

MATE? Cinnamon?

Post by Angeltoast »

A real newbie's question.
I have Mint 15 MATE, and love it, but what is the difference between MATE and Cinnamon? And what is KDE? And Gnome?

rloftus
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MATE? Cinnamon?

Post by rloftus »

Mate, KDE, Cinnamon and Gnome are all different Graphical User Interfaces that are laid over the same kernel. There are minor differences in the driver interfaces and some difference in program selection and functionality. Users choose which GUI they'd like to use according to their personal tastes. I personally use Mate because I like the stability of it, and I also like the way I can customize my color scheme through the Control Center > Appearance settings.

Recusant
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Recusant »

My first experience was with Cinnamon and i really liked it. Then i installed Mate on a friends P4 because it's supposedly less resource-intensive. I could not believe how much i liked Mate straight up. Very nice. The LXDE (is that right?) distro is also really nice (basic-looking). Cinnamon is prettier than the others, but i really like Mate.

Just thought i'd throw that out there. :)

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

It is hard to describe differences in desktop environment..

perhaps watch some video on line?

one such video is
Linux Desktop Environment-Gnome,KDE,Xfce,MATE,Cinnamon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID24jbKCZ5A

please note that this is more 'vanilla' or orginal, such as what you will see on xfce and mate.
in mint version of xfce and mate, there is mintmenu.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

it is possible to install each environment into the one Mint system.
- then choose one @ the login screen & log into it ..

or install them separately in different partitions. & pick from that menu.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

Yes, you can choose one to install initially and then add more once the system is installed. You choose which DE at login.

Angeltoast
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Angeltoast »

Thanks for all the advice - I guess I was lucky in making the right choice for me at the start, as I'm really happy with MATE

Return to “Newbie Questions”