Time format on lock screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0xnak

Time format on lock screen

Post by 0xnak »

Anyone know how to change the time format of the lock screen from 24 hour to 12 hour? It's simple enough for the panel clock, but I'm not sure how to do it for the lock screen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ginsu543

Re: Time format on lock screen

Post by Ginsu543 »

I had the same question. Any ideas?
0xnak

Post by 0xnak »

Sorry, to bump this, but it's been a month. Plenty of views, but only one reply (and it's someone in the same boat.) Any ideas? This was pretty trivial to change in 14 (gnome date and time settings), but that's gone now.
0xnak

Post by 0xnak »

I found this: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... er/pull/22 on github. It appears that this issue has been fixed/addressed. I'm not really familar with github or how pull requests work. How long until this change actually makes it into the main branch of cinnamon? Is there anyway to manually install this?
dowcet

Post by dowcet »

0xnak wrote:I found this: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon-s ... er/pull/22 on github. It appears that this issue has been fixed/addressed. I'm not really familar with github or how pull requests work. How long until this change actually makes it into the main branch of cinnamon? Is there anyway to manually install this?
I don't know much about this stuff either, but I think we may have to wait until a new version of the package (cinnamon-screensaver) is released?
fnadde42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fnadde42 »

0xnak wrote:Sorry, to bump this, but it's been a month. Plenty of views, but only one reply (and it's someone in the same boat.) Any ideas? This was pretty trivial to change in 14 (gnome date and time settings), but that's gone now.
Indeed. Why haven't this been fixed? Seems like most parts of the world uses the 24 clock so this problem should be fixed ASAP. I mean, it doesn't affect my productivity but it stings in my brain like a nail to my eyeball every time I see that 12 hour time format.
MikZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MikZ »

The sting goes both ways—it seems the Australian locale comes with a 24-hour format by default, which isn't what Aussies want. We can apparently set it in 2.6.13, but there's no indication what the format characters are, and all my websearching leads to people complaining about the old problem, which is that they can't customise the format. D'oh! (Please post any solutions here, because that post appeared higher in my search results.)
fnadde42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fnadde42 »

Well, now I'm happy since this issue was fixed with "Rebecca" 17.1. There is now a way to switch between 12 and 24 hour clocks. System settings > Date and time > Use 24 hour clock (check/uncheck). Mark this thread as solved.
MikZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MikZ »

Solved: Turns out Screensaver → Date → Time Format just uses strftime to format the time. Here's the correct way to format an AM/PM clock. The Aussie locale still needs to be fixed, but at least it's hackable, as Linux should be. :-)

Return to “Beginner Questions”