Does/Can Linux Mint(?) Cinnamon(?)/Petra(?) provide a ...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Artaudo
Level 1
Level 1

Does/Can Linux Mint(?) Cinnamon(?)/Petra(?) provide a ...

Post by Artaudo »

Hello Everyone ...

I've been researching for about 3+ years now, as my other projects dictate my attention/work flow ...If there is an alternative OS to Windows ...That actually does Drag and Drop. Searching for the answer to this is still tedious. I am astounded that Windows is still the main leader in this product offering, and my instinct tells me it probably isn't ...I also find it hard to believe that Linux has not stepped up to this challenge.

That being said ...I am aware of several Linux distros ..and have played with several. Thing is, I have absolutely ZERO time to mess around with repositories (if that is still what they call them) and the like, to get my Desktop/OS environment operating as efficiently as my Windows 7 system. THAT BEING SAID ...I WOULD BE THE BIGGEST LINUX SUPPORTER if you all can help me with some finer details of this query ...Does/Can Linux Mint(?) Cinnamon(?)/Petra(?) provide a sound desktop environment which Drags and Drops and operates as soundly as a MS WIN OS Environment ...Cheers!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Does/Can Linux Mint(?) Cinnamon(?)/Petra(?) provide a ..

Post by xenopeek »

Artaudo wrote:If there is an alternative OS to Windows ...That actually does Drag and Drop
Can you be more specific? From the above we can't infer what you actually mean by that. Perhaps give some examples of what you can do on Windows with drag & drop that you believe you can't on Linux?

Artaudo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Artaudo »

Instead of running commands ...the ability to actually pick up for example, an image file ...drag it to a folder on the desktop ...and drop it into the folder.
In my earlier experiments with Linux distros ...this is not possible. Can the distro mentioned above ...Operate like Windows 7, for example.

Aleenik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aleenik »

Artaudo wrote:Instead of running commands ...the ability to actually pick up for example, an image file ...drag it to a folder on the desktop ...and drop it into the folder.
In my earlier experiments with Linux distros ...this is not possible. Can the distro mentioned above ...Operate like Windows 7, for example.
Ya, you can drag and drop files on Linux Mint 15. I've never used a distro/DE (Desktop Environment) where you can't (I didn't even know that was a thing) but then again I have only tried a few distros and DEs.

Also, you talked about ease of setup in your OP. Linux Mint is incredibly easy to set up. It's not like, say, Arch Linux.
Last edited by Aleenik on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

I've been using Linux full time at home since 2006; I've never had a problem with dragging a file and dropping it into a folder. It may depend on the desktop environment and file manager you tried. The Cinnamon desktop environment will let you drag & drop files. But the other desktop environments that Linux Mint offers (KDE, MATE and Xfce) also all let you drag & drop files. This is pretty common.

If you are unfamiliar with Linux; a desktop environment is a software collection with standard programs such as a file manager, a text editor, a calculator, and so on. The desktop environment also primarily is responsible for how the graphical user interface looks and behaves. You can use most programs on all desktop environments, and you can replace most programs (like a file manager) that come with a desktop environment with something else. This is all very modular.
Artaudo wrote:Can the distro mentioned above ...Operate like Windows 7, for example.
Can it operate like Windows 7? That is too broad and unspecific a question. Do I ever need Windows for anything? Nope, Linux Mint does all I need. Perhaps that answers your question a bit. Linux Mint won't run Windows software, but for most tasks there is a wide selection of programs available on Linux Mint. And if you must, you can use the program called Wine to run Windows software on Linux Mint.

To answer your question marks in your original post; Cinnamon is the name of one of the desktop environments that is available with Linux Mint. There are three other; KDE, MATE and Xfce. Though there are many more desktop environments you can install on Linux Mint, these are the four most popular with user of Linux Mint and hence these four are offered as a default choice.

Petra is the name of the upcoming release of Linux Mint in October/November this years; Linux Mint 16. The current release is Linux Mint 15, called Olivia, for which Cinnamon and MATE are already available and KDE and Xfce will be released soon (these are as of yet in testing stage).

Artaudo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Artaudo »

Thank You ...Your post(s) are heightened intelligence for me.
I had to abandon my search for a Linux environment that could operate like a traditional Windows environment (i.e. drag & drop), back around 2008-9, but I became well aware of the effort, energy and flexibility the Open Source community had put in it's applications. I am an internet guy, but I don't have time to research things like this as I would like. I hope this conversation will help those that are still in the DMZ with their choices between a Windows environment, and the reality of what you have pointed out Linux Mint and the like can do. I'm one of those that have gained some practiced awareness of the other environments you've mentioned, but I have not owned the opportunity to implement/test them.

I feel that there are a good number of Windows users that are not aware of the capabilities you have pointed out, that could sway them toward Mint and the like ...Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees! Cheers!

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Not trying to be rude here but it wouldn't take long to look at a few videos on YouTube which will show you the capabilities of Linux and that you can drag and drop files.
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Return to “Newbie Questions”