pc or mac?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
botus
Level 1
Level 1

pc or mac?

Post by botus » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:59 pm

hi there i'm looking for a new laptop!
im thinking of Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" MD101.
becouse i love how it looks and the keyboard is so nice to work on!

And i was wondering about Lenovo IdeaPad 15.6" g580.

so the question would be:

how hard is it to install linux mint as the only primary os on the mac?
and will it run well?
will i find any major problems?

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: pc or mac?

Post by TBABill » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Running Linux on a Macbook is not as easy as on a PC. Search the forums for Macbook and you'll see lots of requests for help due to quirks with it. I own 3 Macbook Pros and I would not put Linux on them because OSX is so similar in operation, although locked down in customization. It's fast and works beautifully with MBP's.

Personally I would love to have an 11" or 13" Macbook Air. The new ones have phenomenal battery life, are lightweight and seem to work really well. Early models seem to have some wireless issues, but not sure if it's hardware (using the new wireless AC standard) or software/drivers. It'll get worked out, but man I'd love one. I'm currently running Mint on a desktop and I have a Chromebook for my personal use. I love it, but it's NOT a Macbook. My wife, daughter and son each have the MBP's and I never...seriously never...have to work on them or help with problems like we had with Windows machines.

I can't speak for the Lenovo, but with the Macbook you get a great machine, strong warranty, great support and a Unix-like operating system (Based on Free BSD). It's very similar to Linux so the transition last year was seamless.

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Post by passerby » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:09 pm

TBABill wrote:I can't speak for the Lenovo, but with the Macbook you get a great machine, strong warranty, great support and a Unix-like operating system (Based on Free BSD). It's very similar to Linux so the transition last year was seamless.
I've had good results with Linux on Lenovo systems, and judging by other forum results that appears to be the common experience. All of the drivers worked perfectly out of the box with Mint, Ubuntu and Debian. The only thing I'd be wary of is if the system comes with Win8 preloaded.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:19 am

botus wrote:hi there i'm looking for a new laptop!
im thinking of Apple MacBook Pro 13.3" MD101.
becouse i love how it looks and the keyboard is so nice to work on!

And i was wondering about Lenovo IdeaPad 15.6" g580.

so the question would be:

how hard is it to install linux mint as the only primary os on the mac?
and will it run well?
will i find any major problems?
Lots of Problems trying to install Linux on Apple :(
Most Lenovo's ...(IBM's) seems to have good Linux Support...Check the Ubuntu forum lots of stuff about Macs...mostly apply to Mint Also.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Lenovo now also makes a Chromebook for education purposes only. The key to that is all drivers that support Chrome OS are Linux, so I would bet that Lenovo is paying special attention to certain models of laptops for Linux compatibility. I'm not sure they push that across various model lines at Lenovo, but at least they're a genuine Linux supporter by way of Chrome OS/Chromebooks. That's got to be a bonus, and perhaps incentive, for Linux laptop buyers.

Knuxson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Knuxson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:50 am

I installed Linux on a separate partition of my Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) two weeks ago and had some issues during installation. I had to use the nomodeset command because I was getting a black screen when loading from the disc. However, once I got it installed Linux has been running great. The special keys for volume and screen brightness even work in Linux. IMO, though, I would not buy a Macbook to only run Linux. They are good computers, but you can find PC laptops with similar components for much less. A Macbook does have a nice look, good keyboard, and a good trackpad, but I don't know if I would spend $1000 more just for that. If you are going to use OSX, then I think the price difference is warranted. I have been looking at the Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p to replace my 4 year old laptop, as they come at a great price with pretty good components.

My Macbook Pro still runs great after 4 years though, but I think that has more to do with the OS than the hardware, as, again, you can get similar hardware in "PC" laptops. Before I had my Macbook, I had an Alienware with Windows Vista on it. It froze all the time. I am positive that it was Vista and not the machine that was at fault. So, my advice is when looking for a Linux only machine, I would go for a cheaper "PC" laptop over an Apple one. Of course, if you feel that the extra cost is warranted for the nice look and feel of the laptop, then go for it. It would just feel wrong to me to buy an Apple computer and not use OSX at all.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:34 pm

I prefer PCs (notebooks), they are often cheaper, may be faster and you have a choice of OS to install (obviously Linux), plus the OEM provided OS, usually the latest win OS, such as win8x.

I also think winx based oem notebooks or even desktop PCs, have later processors and for a desktop you can use your own graphic card choice or stick with the integrated (mainboard ) graphics: many are also supported (completey or partially) in a Linux OS.

I actually find the MAC OSX products awkward, especially with a touchpad: possibly because of the multiple open applications (running, but not currently activated) and the twitchy switching to a running app.
--maybe touchpads are the issue, but I also turn off all animations and iconic (SFX effects and appearances for the desktop)
  • Just as in Linux, I will probably pick another file manager than finder or nautilus or Nemo or Caja and so on for a better (in my view) double-pane file manager
    --such as Midnight commander style (based on the famous dos xtree model)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XTree

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Given a choice between the 2 - Pick the PC (Lenovo)! It has a larger screen, is much less costly, and has a much lower P.I.T.A. potential!

It's a win, win, win! :)
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

KarielG0
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KarielG0 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:52 pm

IMO getting a MacBook and installing Linux on it is worthless. If you buy a MacBook then for the system (ofc alongside all the other features). Like other users said if you want to install Linux on a laptop then go for a normal PC - you get the same (except OSX) for a smaller price. I don't really know much about laptops (I'm a desktop fan) but I heard that Linux is easy to use on ASUS and Dell and hard to use on Samsung.

Return to “Newbie Questions”