Sharing files over ethernet between linux and windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sergei6843284
Level 1
Level 1

Sharing files over ethernet between linux and windows

Post by sergei6843284 »

Hi, I am a new linux user.

I'm trying to share some files from my windows computer to my linux computer. They are connected via a crossover ethernet, which is incidentally the source of internet on the linux computer(it doesn't have a wireless card).

I've heard the easiest way to do this is via samba, especially if I'm going to being doing it a lot, or over the long term. Could someone walk me through it?

Thanks for the help!
Lingula
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Sharing files over ethernet between linux and windows

Post by Lingula »

If the Windows PC folders are set up to be shared, then you just need to browse the network from your Linux computer to see the shared folders. If that works, you can go on to automatically mount the shared folder. A quick Google search will give you directions.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

As wrote by Lingula do not forget to : On your windows PC , select the file-->right click on the file-->share
and more convenient select the folder-->right click on the folder-->share.

Not easy, I know and tansfering from W to linux is the newbie's first move.
And you will be disapointed because very slow after 2 mn running.

If you run dual boot PC.
Transfer with The windows Homegroup .
Restart with Linux Mint which is smart enought to read the windows files.
Copy files inside your Mint desktop...

I know, it is not very elegant.
But 2 good reasons to be smart (without being elegant) : 1000 time faster to set up and 8 time faster the transfer speed.
Bonne chance, Sergio
P.
Mint 17 "Qiana", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Dual Boot W8
Toshiba Satellite Satellite L50D-B Ram:8 GB Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Last time I checked, Homegroups were ONLY accessible in Win7 and Win8. To network to a Windows PC, you have to use Workgroups -- which are different.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

Workgroup...Homegroup that's a legend.
That works without changing the name.
No need to have the same name.
Cordialmente
P.
Mint 17 "Qiana", Cinnamon 64-bit 2.0.14 Kernel 3.13.0-27-generic x86_64 Dual Boot W8
Toshiba Satellite Satellite L50D-B Ram:8 GB Quad core AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics Firefox/Thunderbird inxi Fxz File
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

The following link to show that a basic need which should be made in a snap ........it's not
http://www.noobslab.com/2012/03/configure-samba-sharing-between-ubuntu.html
P.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

Sergio, I just read about Nitroshare [url]http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2012/06/nitroshare-share-file-over-local-area.html[/url]
It is eactly what I had in mind , a virtual box to share on a network.
I did not try but you should, that would solve your problem
saludo
P.

Return to “Newbie Questions”