internet connection mint 15

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sjr2
Level 1
Level 1

internet connection mint 15

Post by sjr2 »

Hi, I have intsalled mint 15 on a Dell Vostro 1000. I've activated the wifi using the device manager but I can't see how to locate my internet connection/router.The internet works fine with a cable and the router/internet service is fine because it works with other laptops.Can anybody tell me what I'm missing? I'd be really grateful.

Cheers!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: internet connection mint 15

Post by Spearmint2 »

go to Menu>Applications>Administration>Windows Wireless Drivers>

Have the windows drivers inf file available and install that. Hopefully you can use those drivers to run your wireless device.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
sjr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjr2 »

The thing is that the wireless device works - the wifi symbol is lit up. The problem is that I'm not connected to any network/router and I can't work out how to find the available ones so I can connect to mine. I'm new to linux - on windows you just go to available networks ort soemthing like that and click on yoursbut I can't find anything similar in linux. Any ideas?
rloftus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rloftus »

In the bottom right hand of the screen there's the Mint taskbar. Just to the left of the date you should see a little icon that looks like the connection bars symbol on your cell-phone. Click that and it should show you a list of available wireless networks. If you don't see your network right away then click on Connect to Hidden Wireless Network and enter the name and key for your router manually.
sjr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjr2 »

Thanks for your reply, but I don't have that icon. I do have a different one which shows I'm connected via a cable (I can get internet via the cable no problem) but clicking on that eitehr shows me the cable connection or network preferences. In network preferences I have the option of cable or proxy bu I don't understand the options beyond there (configuration url, http proxy, etc). Sorry but I don't know anything about this stuff really. Can you give me any more help?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

what exactly are you trying to do? Setup wireless on this same computer while the LAN cable is plugged in? While a USB cable direct from the modem is plugged in? Or are you trying to setup the router (modem/router combo?) so it will supply a wireless signal which computers with wireless can connect to?

If you want to setup wireless on the same computer, and your internet cable is connected to a wireless router, and if you know it's set to open access, then you should unplug anything between that wireless router and the computer and then set up the wireless on the computer.

If you have the router set to security mode of WEP or WPA, then you need the settings for that to input on whatever computer you want to set for wireless access.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
sjr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjr2 »

OK,I'll try and clarify:
1. My wireless router isn't open access has a 26 digit security key.
2. It works perfectly (I have another laptop with mint installed on it which connects no problem - during the installation in that case it asked me to type in the security key and the wifi just worked automatically when installation was finished. With the problem computer I wasn't asked for this information).
3. The wifi on the computer works -after help on another forum I enabled it using the device manager and the wifi symbol is lit up.
4. What I want to do is have the computer detect the signal from the router. In my previous experience with windowsthereisan icon you click and the available signals appear and you choose your own and put in the key. I can't find anything like that in the linux mint I've instaled. The icon a coupleof peoplementioned next to the date (like the bars on a mibile pohone) doesn't appear.

I hope that's a bit clearer.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

The thing is that the wireless device works - the wifi symbol is lit up.
Then it should be working. I only use wireless on a laptop sometimes, but I tossed a USB wireless adapter for 802.11abg into a slot on a desktop, even left my LAN port plugged to the router and this is my screen capture. Are you getting anything like this? This is how it should look. Immediately I see all the networks in my area. As I recall the chip on this is Zydas, on some no name wireless fob.

[url=http://glenburniemd.net/Linux/Networking.jpg]Wireless In Mint[/url]

Hmm, I thought I'd added this already, but here goes again.

Code: Select all

inxi -i
or

Code: Select all

inxi -v 3
which will show networking adapters and some related info.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dieselboyDB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dieselboyDB »

Hello and welcome to mint.
It sounds as though you may have a wireless issue due to the broadcom cards used in many of the dells and other brands.
Did the install hang while trying to install mint?
Got to the synaptic package manager do a search for broadcom..uninstall all broadcom drivers
Make sure your lan is connected you will need to download and install other drivers.
In synaptic package manager search b43. You will see 2 files firmware-b43-installer, and b43-fwcutter. Select and install you may have to reboot this should resolve most broadcom wireless issues..Good luck and let me know how it goes.
sjr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjr2 »

Thanks very much. For the advice. Just one question first. I have my hard disc divided into two - my daughter uses windows in the other part and the wifi works fine from there. If I delete all the drivers as you suggest, will that effect the windows part as well? Just in case I end up losing the wifi from windows and have no connection. You can see I'm new to this.
Cheers,
Sam
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

sjr2 wrote:Thanks very much. For the advice. Just one question first. I have my hard disc divided into two - my daughter uses windows in the other part and the wifi works fine from there. If I delete all the drivers as you suggest, will that effect the windows part as well? Just in case I end up losing the wifi from windows and have no connection. You can see I'm new to this.
Cheers,
Sam
If you only delete driver files from Linux, then it will only affect Linux. There is a NDISwrapper program in Mint which you can use to pull the drivers from windows also into Linux and hopefully it will work for you. Search on the Mint Menu items and you will find it. It will ask for the ".inf" file which should be in the INF folder in Windows partition. If while doing the install to Linux, and it asks for the driver file locations, point it at the Windows\system and the Windows\system32 folders. To find the particular INF file needed, (since there's often many of them) run a search on the INF folder for files with broadcom within it. Several may be presented, you can open in Pluma text program and figure out which one you need to point the NDISwrapper program at. A lot of modem files in windows INF folder start with mdm.....inf.
sjr2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sjr2 »

Sorry, but when it asks me to choose inf file no results come up if I search for "broadcom" and if I look in the list of files there are loads and I don't have the slightest idea what they are. Any more ideas? Thanks for your help anyway!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

sjr2 wrote:Sorry, but when it asks me to choose inf file no results come up if I search for "broadcom" and if I look in the list of files there are loads and I don't have the slightest idea what they are. Any more ideas? Thanks for your help anyway!
You go to the INF folder in windows system and run a search on that folder for all files with mention of broadcom in it. You then check or try each one till you get the correct one. Since you already use the correct one in Windows, yours will probably be different than these since I don't use a broadcom. Nevertheless, here's a screen capture of my search in that folder so you can see what I mean.

[rimg]http://www.glenburniemd.net/Linux/broadcomINF.jpg[/rimg]

Make a list of the ones you find on your computer, and try them out in Mint NDISwrapper install program. You can open INF files in a text editor if you want and first see if it's the correct one. Most of those I show above are various ethernet and bluetooth INF files for broadcom.

Return to “Newbie Questions”