Hangs on shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
astrojohn
Level 1
Level 1

Hangs on shutdown

Post by astrojohn »

I recently built a PC and decided I wanted a Linux OS - hadn't used Linux since I retired and Linux Min 15 - MATE seemed to be a good choice. Installation was easy, everything works as advertised - I'm very pleased overall. I installed VirtualBox with XP and it also works perfectly.

Now for the one annoying issue: VirtualBox (and the Terminal window for that matter) leave zombies behind - which I presume shouldn't really be a problem. And I'm not even sure the zombies are the source of what follows - may be just a coincidence. If I logoff, then shutdown, the shutdown process will sometimes hang waiting for "something" to happen. If I log off, log on, then log off again, then shutdown, no hang-up occurs. Any ideas anyone? Been a looong time since I worked intimately with Linux so I consider myself a newbie once again.

John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Hangs on shutdown

Post by bigj231 »

Could you switch to a different virtual terminal and see what the issue is? The keybinding for that is [CTRL]+[ALT]+[F*] where the "F*" is one of the function keys. I believe the log should be in F1.
astrojohn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hangs on shutdown

Post by astrojohn »

Tnx, I'll try that and see what happens.

Return to “Beginner Questions”