[SOLVED] (I think) Had to give up on Linux.... D*mn it!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] (I think) Had to give up on Linux.... D*mn it!

Post by SpookyWatcher » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:21 pm

I can't believe the amount of trouble I have had with my new Laptop. Acer V3-772G-9829.

It has the i7 Intel 4600 and GT750M. My previous Laptop (Asus G53VX) worked flawlessly with Linux Mint 14 KDE right out of the gate.

But with the new Laptop it has been nothing but trouble. First Linux Mint 14 KDE (32 or 64bit) would not install. Had to append "nomodeset" to compatibility mode just to get it to Live boot. Yes I md5sum'ed everything. Then when trying to install it, it would hang on "configuring hardware @ 66%" in the syslog it was something about the powerdevil.backlight. Nothing worked to get it to install. Not even Okulus's tutorials.

So then Luckily Linux Mint 15 KDE came out. This would actually live boot without any problems. And it would install without any problems. I even got bumblebee and nvidia to play nicely. Everything was looking good. But alas, another bug would rear it's ugly head.

I would install Steam from their website and download my X3 superbox (X3 reunion, terran conflict, and albion). Even got X3TC to run! Once... [sigh]

Now they keep crashing on launch saying could not find folder "blah blah blah" when it clearly was there. Reformatted 6 times with 32 bit 64 bit reinstalled steam...tried to find a way to download steam via software manager (in case that was the problem) and nothing worked.

Literally my only goals are to get Linux Mint KDE running with my steam games running with my playonlinux gog pharaoh running and two more programs that easily install with wine, gimp and 3d blender and kompozer.

That's it! That's All I want! I got it working perfectly on my old laptop. Is it too much to freaking ask???

So after literally 128 hours of crosseyed research, I gave up. I cut the wrapper on my Windows 7 that I also purchased along with the laptop and had everything installed in about 1.2 hours working exceptionally well. [another big sigh]

I so badly wanted this to go as smooth as my older laptop so I could cut the windows chord. So if ANYONE has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

SpookyWatcher

*** UPDATE ***

So since Mint 15 KDE always installed nicely with zero problems I did countless reinstalls in an attempt to get Steam to play nice. On one of the reinstalls I got lazy and just did the "use entire disk" install rather than manual install to give myself it's own /home partition. And wouldn't you know it...Steam played nice. At least the first game is running flawlessly on my system. Bumblebee and Nvidia and everything! Installing second game now just to be sure. Will report back.

Plus as a side note...I was not able to get Steam to play nice with 64bit. No matter what I did. So just went with 32 Bit and all is happy.

Now I just need to solve the problem of the cpu throttling in Linux Mint 15 KDE 32 bit. "Ondemand" is too weak. "Consertive" is still too weak. And "performance" is overkill. Wish there was a way to make "Ondeman" a little more sensitive. e.g. it kicks in the cpu to full throttle a little quicker.

Or at least I need to find that applet I keep reading about that will install in the panel. Can't find it anywhere or how to do it in Mint 15 KDE.

*** UPDATE #2 ***

All games work perfectly! Steam is happy. Entire system is happy. Have no idea why a seperate /home primary partition would have been the cause of all my problems. I'm not going to reinstall with a seperate /home to try to duplicate just in case that wasn't it...and somehow I did the "dance" better. <shrug> Leaving well enough alone. Yay Mint 15 KDE on my SSD. Win7...you're being demoted to the 5400hdd
Last edited by SpookyWatcher on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Had to give up on Linux.... D*mn it!

Post by xenopeek » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:34 am

I only have useless advice now; next time you buy a laptop, research first if its manufacturer actually supports it on Linux or not (in this case, Acer doesn't)--or if it will even work with Linux or not. If you can't find any posts about it (whether good or bad) anywhere on the Internet in relation to "linux", "ubuntu", or "linux mint" (like for this laptop), then that is a strong warning sign that you are buying a laptop for which you are going to be the guinea pig... At least now anybody looking to buy this laptop can find your post this way, and buy something else. For guaranteed success, http://linuxpreloaded.com/ has a list of vendors that sell laptops preloaded with Linux.

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:43 am

I am no expert....But did you share your issues / problems in Steam forums? You will get direct attention of other gamers and would say chances of resolution are high there!

[url]http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/[/url]
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux
For Nvidia Optimus discussion - [url]http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/5/846939854395048434/[/url]

What is your Nvidia driver version? Does it have any known issues?

Really appreciate your patience to make Linux work!
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:03 am

New computer. That means EFI and UEFI and it's problems for Linux installations. Turning off Secure Boot seems the most often used solution. Since you've installed W7 and there are still linux specific things you want to do, then download Oracle's vmware virtual box program, install it, and install the distro of your choice to a virtual hard drive. You could pick up a USB thumbdrive of 8-16 GB and test installing the system on that till you find a way that it works on that computer without bothering the hard drive installation. In fact, if you actually get such setup great and all works fine, you can later move it over onto the hard drive right from the USB, partition by partition. That's what I did when I added Mint onto my hard drive, just moved it's USB flashdrive partitions I'd done a full install onto and adjusted for a few months over to the drive where I already had windows and kubuntu.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:48 am

xenopeek wrote:I only have useless advice now; next time you buy a laptop, research first if its manufacturer actually supports it on Linux or not (in this case, Acer doesn't)--or if it will even work with Linux or not. If you can't find any posts about it (whether good or bad) anywhere on the Internet in relation to "linux", "ubuntu", or "linux mint" (like for this laptop), then that is a strong warning sign that you are buying a laptop for which you are going to be the guinea pig... At least now anybody looking to buy this laptop can find your post this way, and buy something else. For guaranteed success, http://linuxpreloaded.com/ has a list of vendors that sell laptops preloaded with Linux.

It's not useless advice. But I DID research it and found this guy's blog http://orkultus.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/linux-mint-install-on-my-acer-aspire-v3-771g-6851/ prior to buying.

His laptop is nearly identical to mine so I knew there were going to be issues but he had paved the way and he was much more savy than I. And if you looked at my other posts...it's VERY clear in the topic the exact laptop and the exact problems I was having. Compared to his experience everything was spot except the one problem I believe would solve everything. Linux Mint 14 KDE install hangs at "configuring hardware" @ 66%. I believe if I could get past that part, then Steam would play nice.

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:54 am

Spearmint2 wrote:New computer. That means EFI and UEFI and it's problems for Linux installations. Turning off Secure Boot seems the most often used solution. Since you've installed W7 and there are still linux specific things you want to do, then download Oracle's vmware virtual box program, install it, and install the distro of your choice to a virtual hard drive. You could pick up a USB thumbdrive of 8-16 GB and test installing the system on that till you find a way that it works on that computer without bothering the hard drive installation. In fact, if you actually get such setup great and all works fine, you can later move it over onto the hard drive right from the USB, partition by partition. That's what I did when I added Mint onto my hard drive, just moved it's USB flashdrive partitions I'd done a full install onto and adjusted for a few months over to the drive where I already had windows and kubuntu.

Thx for the help. UEFI was turned off. Windows 7 was not installed during my attempts to get Linux Mint 14 or 15 KDE working. I was running both Linux 14 and 15 successfully off the live USB. 14 KDE I had to append "nomodeset" to compatibility mode to get it to live boot successfully. Then it would not successfully install. When it would hang at configuring hardware @ 66% I shut down but noticed almost a complete install on the hard drive. So I tried to boot from it but it was missing grub. So I found a tutorial on fixing the SSD's grub from live usb boot. but that was way beyond my level of competence. I might try it again today. Linux Mint 15 installs PERFECTLY and runs very well....it just seems that steam doesn't play nice with it.

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:57 am

anandrkris wrote:I am no expert....But did you share your issues / problems in Steam forums? You will get direct attention of other gamers and would say chances of resolution are high there!

For Nvidia Optimus discussion - [url]http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/5/846939854395048434/[/url]

Yeah was over at those forums...A LOT. No problems with Nvidia Optimus. I actually got that down perfectly. Working Great. Was using Nvidia 319.32 and Bumblebee stable.

The only thing I haven't tried...and don't know why I haven't tried it yet is to try to install Linux Mint 13 KDE. [facepalms self]. Seriously don't know why I haven't tried that yet. Will do that today. I guess I haven't given up yet after a good night's sleep.

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:59 am

SpookyWatcher wrote:
anandrkris wrote:I am no expert....But did you share your issues / problems in Steam forums? You will get direct attention of other gamers and would say chances of resolution are high there!

Yeah was over at those forums...A LOT. No problems with Nvidia Optimus. I actually got that down perfectly. Working Great. Was using Nvidia 319.32 and Bumblebee stable.

The only thing I haven't tried...and don't know why I haven't tried it yet is to try to install Linux Mint 13 KDE. [facepalms self]. Seriously don't know why I haven't tried that yet. Will do that today. I guess I haven't given up yet after a good night's sleep.
Hmm...Sad. BTW, am running Mint 13 LTE but have upgraded Kernel, KDE, etc. Installation issues are surely Mint related but am not sure if X3 issues are related to Mint or Steam!

I only play supertuxkart. :mrgreen:
Cheers,

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:34 pm

anandrkris wrote:
SpookyWatcher wrote:

Hmm...Sad. BTW, am running Mint 13 LTE but have upgraded Kernel, KDE, etc. Installation issues are surely Mint related but am not sure if X3 issues are related to Mint or Steam!

I only play supertuxkart. :mrgreen:
***UPDATE *** Mint 13 KDE installed nicely. No problems. Steam seams to have installed nicely too. Ran one of three games and it runs (have not installed bumblebee or nvidia yet so performance was poor). Other two games are downloading now. So far so good. But with Mint 13 KDE my touchpad right click is not working.

Also I'm researching options to either upgrade to 14 KDE or just update kernal and kde like you. (not sure if that is actually the same thing).

Any advice on how you did it. I did a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. Did that do what you are talking about?

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Dist-upgrade is not supported nor is it recommended in Mint. That's a bad way to go about upgrading because your Mint repos won't update automatically and you'll likely end up with a broken system.

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:13 pm

TBABill wrote:Dist-upgrade is not supported nor is it recommended in Mint. That's a bad way to go about upgrading because your Mint repos won't update automatically and you'll likely end up with a broken system.
D*mn it! I already did it because I read that apt-get upgrade was the bad way to go with broken dependencies. And that apt-get dist-upgrade was the way to go.

So since I already did it...how do I fix? Complete reinstall? Everything seems to be working fine...still need to install bumblebee and nvidia though.

What is the best way to update the kernal and kde? Since 14 KDE won't install properly...how do I update 13 KDE to 14 KDE? I've been reading so much...I am so confused and blurry eyed.

Basically...I want to end up with Linux Mint 14 KDE installed and running. I can't install from live usb because 14 KDE always hangs at configuring hardware @ 66%. So somehow I have to go from 13 KDE to 14 KDE. Any ideas. Again..I've researched so much I've lost track of everything.

Thx

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:37 pm

If it's working I'd just make sure your repos match the repos of Mint 14. If they do, just let it be and count yourself fortunate. If it borks on you, I'd recommend just running Ubuntu versions if they'll run and Mint won't. If Ubuntu also doesn't work, you may have hardware issues with the specific kernel used in the install version of Ubuntu/Mint.

You could also try another distro to see if it fares better, such as PCLinuxOS since it's not Debian based but still uses Synaptic, or did last I used it. That at least keeps it somewhat familiar and mostly just works out of the box like Mint. If that works and Mint does not, it could be the kernel version or something in configuration different between the two distros.

Not suggesting you should leave Mint, just an option to test another distro that is easy to use and can confirm whether your hardware is an issue or if it's just a conflict with your hardware and Mint itself. No matter what, it's frustrating to figure out.

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SpookyWatcher » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:54 pm

TBABill wrote:If it's working I'd just make sure your repos match the repos of Mint 14.

How can I do that?

How can I compare my current kernal and kde to that of current Mint 13 KDE and Mint 14 KDE to see what I have?

Is it uname (something) -m? perhaps?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Code: Select all

inxi -S
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by anandrkris » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:46 pm

I use Kubuntu backports for KDE upgrade and for Kernel 3.8, i think, i followed instructions in Upubuntu. Although I got it installed kernel 3.8 I did face some issues and had to uninstall Nvidia drivers to go ahead with kernel upgrade. Followed this link and applied a patch.
http://www.cyberwizzard.nl/site/blog-linux-gentoo-linux/175-ubuntu-kernel-38-and-nvidia-drivers.html
Cheers,

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:03 am

Install problems on my Acer as well. Resolved when I found this.

This could work: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=102866#p588461
Desktop:
Mint-18.3 Mate 64 bit
MSI B85M-E45
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB DDR3 1600
2TB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17.3 Mate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm

SpookyWatcher
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] (I think) Had to give up on Linux.... D*mn it!

Post by SpookyWatcher » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:30 pm

So since Mint 15 KDE always installed nicely with zero problems I did countless reinstalls in an attempt to get Steam to play nice. On one of the reinstalls I got lazy and just did the "use entire disk" install rather than manual install to give myself it's own /home partition. And wouldn't you know it...Steam played nice. At least the first game is running flawlessly on my system. Bumblebee and Nvidia and everything! Installing second game now just to be sure. Will report back.

Plus as a side note...I was not able to get Steam to play nice with 64bit. No matter what I did. So just went with 32 Bit and all is happy.

Now I just need to solve the problem of the cpu throttling in Linux Mint 15 KDE 32 bit. "Ondemand" is too weak. "Consertive" is still too weak. And "performance" is overkill. Wish there was a way to make "Ondeman" a little more sensitive. e.g. it kicks in the cpu to full throttle a little quicker.

Or at least I need to find that applet I keep reading about that will install in the panel. Can't find it anywhere or how to do it in Mint 15 KDE.

Return to “Newbie Questions”