gadgets

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Roger Bird
Level 2
Level 2

gadgets

Post by Roger Bird »

I am trying to become independent of iGoogle, which is going bye-bye in November. I have installed Linux Mint 15 Olivia MATE. I have been using Linux Mint 13 Maya MATE for perhaps 9 months and I love it. I am planning on converting my Linux Mint 15 Olivia MATE desktop to be similar in function to my iGoogle, upon which I have a bunch of gadgets, like a calendar and Table Styled Bookmarks and Astronomy Picture of the Day, etc. I see and have implimented the launchers for several locations in the Olivia desktop. My question is: Are there gadgets similar to the iGoogle gadgets that will run on the Mint 15 desktop?
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: gadgets

Post by xenopeek »

Yes you can. Install the package screenlets from the Software Manager, or just do:

Code: Select all

apt install screenlets
You'll find Screenlets then in your Accessories menu (if it doesn't show, you were to fast--it may take a second or two after installing a new program for the menu to be refreshed so close it and open it again).

The above installs the basic set of screenlets and you can get more online through the link in the application. However, if you really want to go all out you can additionally also install the package screenlets-pack-all. This will install a lot more screenlets ready for use :) The list gets rather big, but you have a lot more choice and many alternatives for common ones like calendars and clocks.

Now will these match with whatever iGoogle is (I feel either an Apple or a Google lawsuit coming...), I don't know. I haven't used this myself except just now installing it to give it a look. When you click the "Launch/Add" button to add a screenlet, it popped up behind the Screenlets Manager window here. So if it looks like nothing happened, drag the Screenlets Manager window to the side and have a look behind it :wink: You can right-click the screenlets to manage them (sometimes, like for the terminal, you need to right-click its border to get the screenlets' context menu).
Roger Bird
Level 2
Level 2

Re: gadgets

Post by Roger Bird »

For me, the screenlets are worst than nothing. They either don't work. They smudge. And they don't come back when I cycle the machine. What am I doing wrong?

Are desklets any better?

Return to “Newbie Questions”