Need some help with increasing linux partition in dual boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
danny2146
Level 1
Level 1

Need some help with increasing linux partition in dual boot

Post by danny2146 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:03 am

Hi, I've been using linux for quite a while now and relize that I rarely use Wins7 anymore, so I need more space on my Linux partition. I tried using Gparted, shrinking the Wins7 partition was no problem but when I tried moving the extended partition to cover the unallocated space, it said error while resizing or something like that.
Here's a screenshot. Please help, I'm still a noob when it comes to linux
http://postimg.org/image/ydlh5mj5z/

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Need some help with increasing linux partition in dual b

Post by WharfRat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:13 am

danny2146,

What you're doing should be fine. Make sure that win7 system boots. It doesn't always like being resized with utilities like gparted.

Were you doing this from your installed system :?: The root partition has to be mounted in order for it to run gparted, but you can't resize a mounted partition.

The only way you can resize a linux '/' partition is to do it from live media e.g., your mint installation cd.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:40 am

Your problem is caused by trying to work from inside the installed Mint OS. This requires that the Mint partition, /dev/sda5 be mounted. In turn, this requires that /dev/sda3 be mounted.

Gparted will not perform any action that will modify a mounted partition.

The way to do this is either boot from your Mint install medium (DVD or USB) to the live desktop and use Gparted from there to resize the unmounted /dev/sda3.

An alternative is a live CD version of Gparted or a disk repair OS like Parted Magic. Actually, any Linux distro that installs Gparted as part of its basic software load will work (Ubuntu, Puppy, PCLinuxOS, Zorin, etc).
Registered Linux User 483387

danny2146
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danny2146 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Errr.... Looks like Wins7 stops booting after I resize it, not much a big problem, although I still wish for it to work (lol). Anyways, I was doing this from a liveCD that was used to install the version of Mint that I'm using now. Was that the reason that I can't resize it, or do I need to use Gparted from a different OS (say Ubuntu)?

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:59 pm

danny2146,

I don't see any reason why it won't expand to the left :? Was there any 'detailed' messages along with that error.

Another thing I should mention that I failed to yesterday is that, since you're going left, your system will not boot after resizing. You'll have to chroot and reinstall grub :wink:
ImageImage

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Another thing I should mention that I failed to yesterday is that, since you're going left, your system will not boot after resizing. You'll have to chroot and reinstall grub
Which is why I like having a /boot partition, LOL. You know not to touch it and it only needs less than 150 megs.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

danny2146
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danny2146 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:27 am

After tweaking around a bit (an hour long...) I finally flipped out. Enough is enough! I've had it with this freaking Windows on my freaking laptop. Can anybody show me how to uninstall it and let Linux take hold of the whole HDD?

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:56 am

Simplest way to get rid of Windows is to reinstall Mint using the "Use entire drive" option.

One click will replace Windows with Mint. It will also, unfortunately, overwrite the existing Mint installation. I would back up the existing Mint Install to a usb stick or an external HDD, then go ahead with th new installation.

This also eliminates the need to repair or reinstall Grub after expanding the existing Mint installation.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:51 am

Aging Technogeek wrote:Your problem is caused by trying to work from inside the installed Mint OS. This requires that the Mint partition, /dev/sda5 be mounted. In turn, this requires that /dev/sda3 be mounted.

Gparted will not perform any action that will modify a mounted partition.

The way to do this is either boot from your Mint install medium (DVD or USB) to the live desktop and use Gparted from there to resize the unmounted /dev/sda3.

An alternative is a live CD version of Gparted or a disk repair OS like Parted Magic. Actually, any Linux distro that installs Gparted as part of its basic software load will work (Ubuntu, Puppy, PCLinuxOS, Zorin, etc).
fascinating. I'm itching to test out a MINT system. I'm running UBUNTU 12.04 LTS right now,..... I have 2 1TB drives in my system with about 481.9 GB free on drive 1 ( the boot drive ) . I gather I should be able to get the MINT image, burn the ISO onto a DVD and boot that up, then use gparted to create a MINT partition on drive 1

this way I can start reviewing my software tools ( office, music, and photography ) . ( drive 2 holds backup copies of key directories ) .
¡Viva la Resistencia!

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:07 am

danny2146,

Since your current installation is only 22gig, get a 32gig usb stick and dd that partition to the usb dongle then make sure you can loop mount it so you can later copy anything you need from it.

Instead of having only a '/' partition, setup a '/', /home and swap using the live cd. Make the '/' 16gig, that should be large enough. If you plan to have a lot of applications then make it 22gig.

Swap 2x your memory and the remainder home. Then during the install choose other and set the mount points.

After installing you can make a /media/img folder, mount the saved image to it and copy what you need from your saved /home folder to your new installation.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:01 am

Did anyone read the message in gparted? It says he's trying not to move that unallocated section within the logical volume (extended section) to the left, but the whole logical volume (sda3). Could this be as easy as making the unallocated section into a PRIMARY partition, format in ntfs, and then attempting to add into sda2?

EDIT; I just read this again for the 4th or 5th time. He's trying to add a part he carved off windows to the Mint install? Not adding that unallocated part to the windows partition? The message on gparted doesn't match up with what he's trying to do as I read it. It says "move sda3 to the left and grow it from 26.22 GB to 37.79 GB" OK, that's been accomplished, he's managed to add the carved off section to the extended section.

I see no instruction on gparted which says he's then tried to merge the Mint Linux section sda5 with the unallocated space yet.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:08 am

Spearmint2 wrote:Did anyone read the message in gparted? It says he's trying not to move that unallocated section within the logical volume (extended section) to the left, but the whole logical volume (sda3). Could this be as easy as making the unallocated section into a PRIMARY partition, format in ntfs, and then attempting to add into sda2?
BINGO :D

He's sizing the wrong partition :shock: Good catch :wink:
ImageImage

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:22 am

BINGO :D

He's sizing the wrong partition :shock: Good catch :wink:
I added an Edit. His confusion had me confused for a bit too, :lol:
As I understand it, he cut off part of the windows partition, moved it to the right thereby increasing the extended section, but didn't then add it to the Mint partition, seemingly thinking that when he moved it to the extended section it just magically should have also merged with the Mint partition. He did one step and needed to do the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtB11iTPfIw]"two step"[/url].

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:03 pm

It does not really matter what danny2146 is trying to do. As long as he is trying to modify /dev/sda5 (Mint) or /dev/sda3 (extended partition containing Mint) from inside the installed Mint on /dev/sda5, it will not work.

As stated earlier, Gparted will not modify a mounted partition. It also will refuse to modify an extended partition with a mounted logical partition inside of it. The ony way to work on /dev/sda3 or /dev/sda5 is to unmount both partitions. This requires working from a separate primary or extended partition on the HDD, or from a live desktop or specialty Os like Parted Magic.

danny2146
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danny2146 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:30 am

Wow I think there is a bit of a confusion regarding my first post. What I did were I tried to shrink the Wins7 partition to a smaller size so I can use it for the Mint partition (this was done on a liveCD of course) then from there I resize the /sda3 to the left and then after that I can resize the logical partition inside it (the /sda5). But when doing this (resize the /sda3 to the left, the message popped up. I can't do anything beyond that point, and now somehow wins7 won't boot (I think I have an idea of what is the reason).

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:50 pm

danny2146 wrote:...and now somehow wins7 won't boot.
That's because you "broke" it using a Linux utility to modify a Windows OS filesystem partition. Had you simply used the builtin Windows 7 Disk Management utility, you would not be having this problem.

You can only fix this with a Win7 Repair CD -- which you probably also did not bother to create before you started messing around using Linux utilities on the Win7 OS filesystem.

danny2146
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danny2146 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:26 pm

Well, sh*t... I don't have a repair CD for windows... I guess that's it between me and windows then. Feel kinda bad, since now I just broke a $100 software. So that means my only way here is to make Mint take over the whole hard drive?

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:10 pm

danny2146 wrote:Well, sh*t... I don't have a repair CD for windows... I guess that's it between me and windows then. Feel kinda bad, since now I just broke a $100 software. So that means my only way here is to make Mint take over the whole hard drive?
Last ditch effort is get into linux and reinstall grub. I doubt that will work, but you have nothing to lose at this time.

If you can't boot linux then chroot from the cd and do it that way.
ImageImage

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:00 am

Yes, run the "side by side" and maybe you will get lucky.

Return to “Newbie Questions”