Linux mint sometimes does not shut down !

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CliveT
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint sometimes does not shut down !

Post by CliveT » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:28 pm

I have noticed that in the last couple of days Linux Mint on my laptop doesn't completely shutdown properly from the 'shut down' icon in the gui - in other words it goes through the shutting down process,,,but leaves the mint icon hanging at the end and then I have to force a shutdown by pressong the power button for a few seconds?

On the other hand if i use sudo shutdown -h now from the terminal, of course it shuts down without problems.

I have a few questions:

1. Any clues as to why this behaviour is happening and how do I fix it?

2.Of course I can continue to shutdown from the terminal in this manner..but is it okay to do this and should I have to?

3. I did think that maybe it could be a driver problem or something but I'm not really that 'clued' up on this sort of thing - is this likely?

4. In the driver manager I have nothing showing - how do I check if I have the correct drivers..or when I installed Linux Mint a few days ago, do the correct drivers get installed anyway?

regards

Clive

kitsuneae
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux mint sometimes does not shut down !

Post by kitsuneae » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Are you using KDE? [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=142033]If so, you are finding the same bug I am![/url] It's a known issue and not fixed yet. :|

On a side note, I should try that command. It sounds like it may be useful.

wraggqtyler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wraggqtyler » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:03 am

I am having the same problem. Is it a bug to everyone?

HoppityBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HoppityBob » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:53 am

I'm running Kde and my Samsung laptop never shuts down, nor restarts, nor resumes when the lid is opened. Terminal commands don't work either.

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Zalbor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 am

When booting, if you press E on Grub on the line that boots the system (not sure that's the right key but it should be shown on-screen), you can edit the boot line. I think if you remove the words "quiet splash" you'll get text output instead of the mint icon, both when booting and shutting down (but only for this session, so don't worry, it won't be permanent). Maybe that output will provide some info about why it's not shutting down.

CliveT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CliveT » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:29 am

Well everyone thanks for the advice given here. I have been tesing something for the last couple of days and so far it seems to work for me! Basically first before shutting down I disconnect from the internet (slide the little button to off) then I shut down either by the gui button (shutdown) or by typing - sudo poweroff in the terminal, so far I've had no further problems.

I'll report back if the problem reoccurs.

Clive

duncan222
Level 3
Level 3

Post by duncan222 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:52 am

Using Mint 15 (64) Cinnamon, Exactly the same problem as described in other posts, fails to shut down with logo remaining on the screen.
Seems it's a problem effecting a number of us.

Aminel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aminel » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:02 am

Same problem here too.

CliveT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CliveT » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Guys
If you disconnect first from the internet - does it make any difference ?

Please report back !

Ru1K
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ru1K » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:54 am

CliveT wrote:Well everyone thanks for the advice given here. I have been tesing something for the last couple of days and so far it seems to work for me! Basically first before shutting down I disconnect from the internet (slide the little button to off) then I shut down either by the gui button (shutdown) or by typing - sudo poweroff in the terminal, so far I've had no further problems.

I'll report back if the problem reoccurs.

Clive
Thanks, the "sudo poweroff" worked for me. In my case I don't need to disconnect from the internet, just the command on the terminal worked fine. At the beginning I thought that was KDE problem but I have the same problem on Cinnamon, hope they fix this soon.

daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:42 am

Strange, my mint 14 HD hangs with the backlight still working and indicators lit, needs a hard shutdown a lot of the time to completely close it down, not tried disconnecting or the terminal commands so will have to try those, yet my mint 15 HD shuts down cleanly every time . . . . :?

krypton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krypton » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:27 pm

CliveT wrote:I have noticed that in the last couple of days Linux Mint on my laptop doesn't completely shutdown properly from the 'shut down' icon in the gui - in other words it goes through the shutting down process,,,but leaves the mint icon hanging at the end and then I have to force a shutdown by pressong the power button for a few seconds?
Exactly same problem here with Linux Mint 15 "olivia" - MATE 64-bit, but my computer is a desktop instead of a laptop.
I have noted that when this issue happens, before the MATE logo appears, for half second (circa) a black screen full of messages (warnings or errors?) are displayed to the screen, but it's impossible to read them. Where I can find these messages? I know the existance of the folder /var/log/ that contain some reports and in particular the Xorg.0.log file that lists some hardware related messages. However, Xorg.0.log lists only an error related to fglrx module:

Code: Select all

[    31.001] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
[    31.002] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
[    31.002] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
[    31.002] (II) Unloading fglrx
[    31.002] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)
[    31.002] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[    31.002] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[    31.002] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[    31.002] 	compiled for 1.13.3, module version = 7.1.0
[    31.002] 	Module class: X.Org Video Driver
But it's normal, I think, because I don't use the proprietary driver for my ATI video card.
There are other significant logs to viewing the errors that can occur?
On the other hand if i use sudo shutdown -h now from the terminal, of course it shuts down without problems.
2.Of course I can continue to shutdown from the terminal in this manner..but is it okay to do this and should I have to?
If anyone knows the answer, what's the difference between doing the shutdown from the terminal and doing the shutdown from the start menu of the desktop environment, from the hardware point of view? Can the command "shutdown" provoke some damage to the harware if the server-x (MATE desktop environment in my case) isn't completly closed before launch the "sudo shutdown -h now" command (or similar)? Maybe can be an ingenuous question, but I don't really never understood the difference of the two methods.

However, apart of this further question, I have the same doubts of CliveT.
If you disconnect first from the internet - does it make any difference ?
I try this method for few days and let you know if something changes.

If someone of you is interested I have found this tutorial that describes how to make a shortcut of the command shutdown in the desktop:
How to Add a Shutdown (Power Off) Button to Your Desktop
[url]http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1113[/url]

allanh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:17 am

Hello,

My machine was also hanging on shutdown (Mint 15-64 bit). I use caffeine as a tool to turn off the screensaver. If I have this in disabled mode the machine hangs on shutdown. If I enable it the machine shuts down in the correct manner. It would appear that it is necessary to close all programs before shutting down.

Regards,

Allan

msccreater
Level 1
Level 1

Post by msccreater » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 pm

i have the same problem (mint 15 olivia 64), but it is not always like this. i don't know when it will appear, i will try the command sudo shutdown -h now , thanks for everyone

CliveT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CliveT » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Well everyone, its been about two weeks now and still no problems for me on this one...so it's a strange one that's for sure!

Return to “Newbie Questions”