Software manager does not uninstall

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
zedgar
Level 1
Level 1

Software manager does not uninstall

Postby zedgar » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:37 am

I've uninstalled a number of various apps using software manager. Deluge, Transmissino, Xchat, Thunderbird etc., but none of them were removed. Although software manger has the only option to install them.
Restarts and updates didn't help.
An example with Deluge:
I'm on Mint 15 (64bit)
Any ideas?

Thanx.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Software manager does not uninstall

Postby WharfRat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:04 am

Deluge shows as "Not installed" :?: Isn't that correct if you uninstalled Deluge :?:
Image ImageImage

odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Postby odo5435 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 am

WharfRat wrote:Deluge shows as "Not installed" Isn't that correct if you uninstalled Deluge

You would think so if your Software Manager looked like this, but then you wouldn't expect to see Deluge showing up in Mint Menu, or the 'About Deluge' window, or the Deluge window appearing under the others.

Unless the OP is cleverly showing different states (installed/uninstalled) of the same program at the same time.
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7 :::<<>>::: Linux Registered User No. 545697
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Postby WharfRat » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:09 pm

odo5435 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:Deluge shows as "Not installed" Isn't that correct if you uninstalled Deluge

You would think so if your Software Manager looked like this, but then you wouldn't expect to see Deluge showing up in Mint Menu, or the 'About Deluge' window, or the Deluge window appearing under the others.

Unless the OP is cleverly showing different states (installed/uninstalled) of the same program at the same time.

Ah, I looked at the screenshot before my second cup of coffee which opens my left eye. Maybe Software manager doesn't purge or the menu cache still contains the option :?:

Doing an aptitude or apt-get purge deluge might be needed.
Image ImageImage

zedgar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zedgar » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:29 am

Thank you folks.
@WharfRat terminal purge did the job.

But as I've mentioned above - strange thing is - it happens with other apps as well - transmission:

thunderbird, xchat... etc.

I've installed ubuntu-tweak and it also shows delute install option only:

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Postby WharfRat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:22 am

zedgar,

Does a desktop file or symlink show in /usr/share/applications/ for the residual menu entries :?:

For instance installing the application hexchat will place a file hexchat.desktop in /usr/share/applications/ The menu constructs the entries from this location.

Code: Select all

bill@mint /usr/share/applications $ dpkg -L hexchat|grep applicat
/usr/share/applications
/usr/share/applications/hexchat.desktop
bill@mint /usr/share/applications $

I'm not familiar with the internal workings of the menu system, but there is an application that you can use to update the menu if an installed application doesn't show in the menu. It's called xdg-desktop-menu. The man page shows that you can also uninstall an menu entry.

Probably the easiest thing to do is just delete the desktop file from that folder and do a forceupdate with xdg-desktop-menu. That shouldn't be necessary. but it's the only thing that I can think of.
Image ImageImage

zedgar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby zedgar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks again WarfRat.
Yes, entries are visible in /usr/share/applications. I'll try xdg-desktop-menu.

Return to “Newbie Questions”