is it ok to remove the system reserved partion to dual boot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

what partion should i delete?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:26 am

system partition
No votes
(C:)
No votes
recovery partition
No votes
HP_tools partion
No votes

Total votes: 0

disto bob
Level 1
Level 1

is it ok to remove the system reserved partion to dual boot

Post by disto bob »

I got a hp notebook 2000 but the fantastic manufacture came with 4 partitions :twisted: :lol:
heres all the ones its got

system-(the systems partition that has the boot files) a partition that can be avoided in install if partitions are already present and can be removed after install too

(c:) the partition that holds the win7 OS I don't think I would ever remove that :lol:

recovery the partition that has the recovery system its really useful probably wont remove this even though I have it on a disc

hp_tools a partition that has some uses but not really Shure if its safe to remove it might mess up recovery maybe but if ts safe I might remove it :D

I think the best to remove would be the system partition cause it can be removed and repair the system witch send it the boot files to the c drive or something if someone knows a safer way to do this or if I should even attempt this but i really want mint and ill get it either way :shock: :mrgreen:
Last edited by disto bob on Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: is it ok to remove the system reserved partion to dual b

Post by xenopeek »

The system partition might be the Windows boot partition? That is the common anti-competitive setup HP seems to do on behalf of Microsoft: 1 boot partition, 1 windows partition, 1 windows recovery partition, 1 HP tools / bloatware installation partition. From recommendations elsewhere on the forums, probably best to keep the first two partitions and burn an image onto DVD of the latter two partitions before removing them. IIRC, Windows will have an option to burn the recovery partition to DVD (as you'll need multiple DVDs).
disto bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by disto bob »

xenopeek wrote:The system partition might be the Windows boot partition? That is the common anti-competitive setup HP seems to do on behalf of Microsoft: 1 boot partition, 1 windows partition, 1 windows recovery partition, 1 HP tools / bloatware installation partition. From recommendations elsewhere on the forums, probably best to keep the first two partitions and burn an image onto DVD of the latter two partitions before removing them. IIRC, Windows will have an option to burn the recovery partition to DVD (as you'll need multiple DVDs).
do u mean hp recovery media yhea i did that it ate 4 my dics xD
i thought it just restored the image not bring u to the recovery menu to cool :)
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

IF you download and install EasyBCD from NeoSmart Technologies, it has an option to "migrate" the boot loader files from the system-reserved partition into your OS partition.

While, after that, you COULD remove the system-reserved partition, problem is that it is very small (usually 100MB or so), and not nearly big enough for a Linux distro.

After that removal, you would still have to resize other partitions and move them to the right to make room. IF you choose to do this, use ONLY the MS Windows Disk Management tool to do the resizing; do NOT use any Linux utilities (like GParted) to do this.

And, since you would then be messing with mounted Windows partitions, you would have to do a reboot inbetween to allow the resizing to work.

Another option, which actually works better, is to download and burn the free version of the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD -- and boot from that. That is a Windows partitioning tool and has a lot more options than the Windows Disk Management utility.

As always, before you do partition resizing or moving, you need to do a backup of each partition involved.
vandamme
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vandamme »

disto bob wrote:
xenopeek wrote:..... 1 boot partition, 1 windows partition, 1 windows recovery partition, 1 HP tools / bloatware installation partition. From recommendations elsewhere on the forums, probably best to keep the first two partitions and burn an image onto DVD of the latter two partitions before removing them.....
"do u mean hp recovery media yhea i did that it ate 4 my dics xD
i thought it just restored the image not bring u to the recovery menu to cool :)
"

Exactly what happened to me. HP G62. I dutifully made the 5 or so backup DVDs of all the bloatware, and blew away the partition to boot Ubuntu, Mint and Bodhi (can't make up my mind which I like best...). Then one fine day I had to fire up Windoze*.....no go. Put in my DVDs......no workie!!! :x GRRRRR!!! Well, I ended up with 2 more partitions after that!!! No windows or Gates, the doors were open!

Then one day my video crapped out at resolutions lower than 1366x768, so I couldn't see the bios screen or the grub screen. confused (Why This Foolishness?) So I reinstalled Windows JUST so I could reinstall the bios updater (didn't try it on Wine, that occurred to me later). (And it didn't fix my problem, the hardware is still sick.) The way to do it (reinstall windows) is get the clean, legal download from Micro$oft's Digital River (very hard to find the URL**) and it fits on one DVD. Installs OK, with no crapware. Type in the key number off your sticker and you're good to go. You'll get a boot partition and a Windoze partition, the rest is Linux's playground. Reinstall Linux after that, giving Windows its 80 GB or so to play in, and carve the rest into whatever partitions you need. I like one big primary home or data partition (ext4 if you don't need to see it from windows), and another primary with 3 extended for whatever distro floats my boat at the moment; good to have spares ready to go if you hose one, not that would happen to an expert like me :mrgreen: .

**Try this for the 64 bit windows home premium
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/where-can-i-download-windows-7-iso-i-have-a/7d964b05-2be9-4800-bc7f-3ca30356fc3d
or search around on their forum

* I have ONE essential website (I teach on it) that uses a Windows flash driver for audio, and can't seem to work around it. I need windows for nothing else.
disto bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by disto bob »

Mark Phelps wrote:IF you download and install EasyBCD from NeoSmart Technologies, it has an option to "migrate" the boot loader files from the system-reserved partition into your OS partition.

While, after that, you COULD remove the system-reserved partition, problem is that it is very small (usually 100MB or so), and not nearly big enough for a Linux distro.

After that removal, you would still have to resize other partitions and move them to the right to make room. IF you choose to do this, use ONLY the MS Windows Disk Management tool to do the resizing; do NOT use any Linux utilities (like GParted) to do this.

And, since you would then be messing with mounted Windows partitions, you would have to do a reboot inbetween to allow the resizing to work.

Another option, which actually works better, is to download and burn the free version of the Minitool Partition Wizard Boot CD -- and boot from that. That is a Windows partitioning tool and has a lot more options than the Windows Disk Management utility.

As always, before you do partition resizing or moving, you need to do a backup of each partition involved.
im gonna try this is it safe? I got backups anyway just want to be shure and lets say it breakes and I cant get to recovery should I make a repair disc?
and when u say migrate boot boot files do u mean change boot drive in bcd backup and repair? also, when I see view settings it looks like c drive is already boot drive? look:

There is one entry in the Windows bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Return to “Newbie Questions”