Suggested Free AntiVirus

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MacGeek83
Level 1
Level 1

Suggested Free AntiVirus

Post by MacGeek83 »

I've been dabbling in the Linux world as of late and now have a LinuxMint station here at work as of today but we require to have AntiVirus on all computers including Mac or Linux. What is a simple and easy AntiVirus that I can install. The Software Manager does not list anything that I can see.

Thank you!
nomko

Re: Suggested Free AntiVirus

Post by nomko »

Quick explanation: Linux is virus free! Linux is not vulnerable for viruses and malicious software like Windows does. So, basically you don't need an anti-virus application at all.

However, i can image that you want such an application for the plain reason that you exchange files with Windows users. And that you want to scan them first. A noble reason!

Available in the repo's is ClamAV and the GUI ClamTK. You can install by opening synaptic and search for clamav and clamtk. Install these applications and you can scan for virusses on both Linux partitions and Windows partitions.
vandamme
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vandamme »

MacGeek83 wrote:....now have a LinuxMint station here at work as of today but we require to have AntiVirus on all computers including Mac or Linux.....
:lol: Typical IT Crowd knee-jerk: computers all get viruses!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Tell him you have Linux AV on there. ;)
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
nomko

Post by nomko »

vandamme wrote:
MacGeek83 wrote:....now have a LinuxMint station here at work as of today but we require to have AntiVirus on all computers including Mac or Linux.....
:lol: Typical IT Crowd knee-jerk: computers all get viruses!
Did it never came to your mind that the OP is referring to his/her work situation and that it might be a network issue combining Windows/MacOS/Linux systems??? He/she clearly states that antivirus is required on all systems, so that includes Windows systems as well MacOS and Linux systems. And yes, in such situation an anti-virus is a necessary when you want to avoid infection of Windows systems by an infected file that's been downloaded using a MacOS or Linux system. A Windows virus/trojan/malware/spyware/other malicious software cannot harm a MacOS or Linux system, but when that same infected file is send to a Windows system from a MacOS/Linux system, the Windows system will surely get infected by it.
Last edited by nomko on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacGeek83
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MacGeek83 »

If it was my personal computer I wouldn't bother. I've never installed Mac AntiVirus on my personal Macs but we I have to on my work Macs. I can't tell the auditor that Linux & Mac just do not get viruses :D
js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Post by js3915 »

nomko wrote:Did it never came to your mind that the OP is referring to his/her work situation and that it might be a network issue combining Windows/MacOS/Linux systems??? He/she clearly states that antivirus is required on all systems, so that includes Windows systems as well MacOS and Linux systems. And yes, in such situation an anti-virus is a necessary when you want to avoid infection of Windows systems by an infected file that's been down using a MacOS or Linux system. A Windows virus/trojan/malware/sp[yware/other malicious software cannot harm a MacOS or Linux system, but when that same infected file is send to a Windows system from a MacOS/Linux system, the Windows system will surely get infected by it.
+1

And there are some linux malware / viruses... Obviously harder to infect especially if your a good consciousnesses user.. But getting an infected document passing it to windows is the biggest concern as nomko said
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

clamav and rkhunter should suffice.

Return to “Newbie Questions”