Graphics Drivers

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mkn777er
Level 1
Level 1

Graphics Drivers

Post by mkn777er »

This is my very first 'foray' into Linux. Installed on the computer running alongside Win XP. So far, so good. But, I want to load the driver for my graphics card (Nvidea 9800 GT) because I have 2 displays and the default driver within Linux is not cpoing very well. I have downloaded the driver (for Linux) from the Nvidea website but it will not run, giving me a red warning and saying it cannot open the file format, might be a binary file (or something like that). Anyway, Nvidea do say that the support files from Linux are better and should be used as a first option. But ....

Where and or how can I install the driver for the Nvidea graphics card? I'm sorry if this is a basic question but I have spent sometime exploring Linux and these forums to try and get an answer but without success. Many thanks

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Graphics Drivers

Post by passerby »

Rather than go with the manual approach, you can install nvidia drivers directly from your package manager.
Open a terminal (Menu > Accessories > Terminal) and type in "jockey-gtk" without the quotation marks. Jockey will spend a minute looking for drivers, then show a list of drivers applicable for your system. Choose one and hit "Activate". After it installs, a restart should be all that's needed.
If that doesn't work, you can also install the drivers directly from the terminal. For a quick and simple solution, just run "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings", no quotation marks, then type in your password when prompted (it won't display anything while you're typing).
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldbwl »

Or, Click on the Menu Button, Type "Driver", click on the Driver Manager and select a driver from the list shown. I found the "Recommended" worked perfectly for me with the exception of the Boot Up Graphic. It will usually revert to an ugly text "Linux MInt" instead of the nice fading graphic. But if you can live with that you should be pleased with the rest of the performance.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ mkn777er: Please tell what Linux Mint version you have, then I can guide you further.

On Mint 13, you have "Additional Drivers" in the menu where you should be able to install the NVIDIA binary driver; on Mint 15 you can do this using the "Driver Manager" program.
On Mint 14 it's somewhat hidden; you need to open "Software Sources" and go to the drivers tab. This program takes some time to load, please be patient.

In case you can't find it: the nvidia-current package from the Software Manager can also be used.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

mkn777er
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mkn777er »

Many thanks for the replies. I have had some success using the method suggested by AlbertP. I am using Mint 14 and was able to locate the 'additional drivers' in the Software Sources. The 2 screens are now working better but not up to the standard I had (have!) with XP. For example, the max resolution I can get with Mint is 1152 x 864 whilst with XP it is 1280 x 1024. The driver appears to be a long way out of date. Is there anything I can do to get an updated driver so that fully use the functions of the graphics card? Thanks again

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Have you tried setting the right resolution with NVIDIA X Server Settings?

The Software Sources program should also offer you the 310 driver version, and probably more (but still marked as experimental). The one you have now, is likely version 304.88.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

mkn777er
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mkn777er »

Yes your absolutely right, I have version 304.88. I'm not sure how to set the correct resolution with Nvidia X Server Settings? I have also tried (I think) some of the other 'experimental' drivers but that did not appear to make any difference.

Sorry to be a bit of a numpty, but as I say this is my first time with Linux Mint 14. First impressions, I like it, a lot, but it would be nice to get the resolution correct on my screens, at the moment the font is a little too big and not razor sharp which is what I am used to. Thanks again for the advice.

Return to “Newbie Questions”