Crash on startup

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mazey
Level 1
Level 1

Crash on startup

Post by Mazey »

Hey there, never had problems with Mint but I needed to update some stuff and after googleing for ages and fixing some problems I can´t fix this one.

inxi -Gx gives this:

X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz

I think that my Mint crashes because Nvidia failed, but I haven´t got a Nvidia at all! I have an Intel. Any ideas? I tried a lot already.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Crash on startup

Post by WharfRat »

Mazey,

To get into your system highlight the normal mint entry in the grub menu then press 'e' in to edit the line then maneuver to the kernel line and enter modprobe.blacklist=nvidia at the end.

After you get in you'll have to check which nvidia package got installed and purge it.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage
Mazey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mazey »

Nope, Mint still crashes and lets me run in the fallback mode.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Mazey,

When in fallback check for nvidia with dpkg -l|grep nvid and purge the package. Also check /etc/X11/ for an xorg.conf file. Move it to .bak just in case.
ImageImage
Mazey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mazey »

Yea I tweaked my xorg.conf so it fixed some of the bugs I had.
Here you can find it:
http://beta.grou.pl/pastebin/view/64
--edit-- Just looking at my pastebin, seems that it reverted the driver to nvidia.
--edit2-- After reverting it to intel I get exactly the same, fallback mode/crash
This is the output on the commands you gave:

Code: Select all

ii  nvidia-304                                                  304.88-0ubuntu1                            i386         NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
ii  nvidia-common                                               1:0.2.76                                   i386         transitional package for ubuntu-drivers-common
ii  nvidia-current                                              304.88-0ubuntu1                            i386         Transitional package for nvidia-current
ii  nvidia-settings-304                                         304.88-0ubuntu1                            i386         Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
I tried removing some, but I get gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad error, need to do sudo apt-get -f install. Once installing there is a confict.

Unpacking replacement gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad:i386 ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.23-7.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gstreamer-0.10/libgstrtpmux.so', which is also in package gstreamer0.10-plugins-good:i386 0.10.31-3+nmu1ubuntu2
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.23-7.1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Protheus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Protheus »

Did you try

dpkg --purge --force-depends gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

apt-get clean

apt-get purge nvidia-304 nvidia-common nvidia-current nvidia-settings-304