LM was infected by FBI MoneyPak virus.. Need help! [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kitchkinet18
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LM was infected by FBI MoneyPak virus.. Need help! [SOLV

Post by kitchkinet18 »

Another fast and easy way to fix this is to open the software manager, remove firefox, and then re-install it.
Lassiman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: My LinuxMint was infected by FBI MoneyPak virus.. Need h

Post by Lassiman »

karlchen wrote:Hello, amtex.

Irrespective of the fact that following excollier's advice to install and run ClamAV is a good idea, I would like to ask one question:
I think that my LinuxMint system was infected by so called FBI MoneyPak virus.
What are the symptoms that tell you your Mint system has been infected by the FBI MoneyPak virus? Whatever one finds about it in the web all seems to suggest that FBI MoneyPak can only run on Windows systems.

Kind regards,
Karl
Cheers everybody. It evidently can happen, since I also have personal experience on the subject. I use Vista/Mint (Maya) dualboot and Mozilla as my browser. In my case the browser locked the ransomware tab, but I was able to open other tabs aswell without problems, besides the infected tab. For me the solution was just to clear everything from browser history through settings, and that was it. No additional "moves" -installations etc- required. Linux rules, baby.

ps. Windows browser was not infected in any way, so there's a first..
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

OzoneDev wrote:The FBI lock on Linux just locks down your browser session so you can't exit, search, change settings etc.. If you have your browser setup to not save anything you can just restart your computer..
Happened to me a couple months ago. Cleared the browser and all set.
Sorry, should have reported here.
My bad.
Just happened to a friend with Windows. Little more to do to clear it up. The beauty of Linux.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

kitchkinet18 wrote:Another fast and easy way to fix this is to open the software manager, remove firefox, and then re-install it.
Doing this reinstalls the software only; it is not going to reset Firefox to factory defaults. Deleting the configuration files as posted in the previous page is more effective.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

I have the FBI infection right now. I tried the solution offered by excollier, Aug 26, 2013, 11:56 AM - "Install and run clamav in Mint", but when I iopened the Clam website and went to the Linux page, there was no version listed for Mint nor Unix. Then following instructions by nomko, Aug 26, 2013, 4;30 PM, I opned Terminal and typed, "sudo apt-get install clamav clamtk" but could not enter my password after that. I could not enter ANYTHING after "{sudo} password xxxxx:".

I also tried to cancell Firefox using Software Manager, but nothing works there either.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you,
BoDill
Desktop: OptiPlex-990 ; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop: Dell Latitude E6420; Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Laptop 2: HP Pavilion g7; Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" Cinnamon
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Are you aware that you password is invisible in the terminal?
I mean you type but the screen doesn't show anything. You push enter and if you typed the right then the command runs. Otherwise it asks for your password again.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

There is no Linux infection. It is simply a deliberate JavaScript loop in Firefox.

What most people don't know is that this loop isn't infinite (it can't be). To bypass it, all you have to do is press the default button in the dialogue bog (I think it's cancel), or simply press the Enter key something like 100 times (it varies, but it's usually a round number from 50 to 100), then it disappears.
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

From BoDill, regarding the FBI infection,

After turning off my computer and restarting it, and a few other things which I mentioned above, I typed the question which is posted above. Then I turned off the computer AGIAN, left it awhile (while I read the local newspaper), and restarted it to pursue a solution. This time, it started up just fine, with no virus (or infectiones ,or whatever, etc.), and I didn't do anything more.

So, thank you for your patience and understanding, and thank you for clueing me in on the the "password" thing.

Greatly relieved,
BoDill
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

BoDill wrote:From BoDill, regarding the FBI infection... This time, it started up just fine, with no virus (or infections ,or whatever, etc.), and I didn't do anything more.
What happens when you start your browser?
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
BoDill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by BoDill »

To answer reorx, above,

I use Firefox and Google, and I honestly don't know which would be the answer to your question. The grey area at the top of my screen RiIGHT NOW says, "Linux Mint Forums . Post a reply - Mozilla Firefox".

Does that tell you anything? (I apologize for my ingnorance, as I frequently have to do). I do have a "Google" icon that I click on any time I want to find something on the Internet, and when I clicked on Google and typed in "Browser", I got articles on both Google and Firefox. I wanted to answer your question quickly, so this is as far as I've gotten. The best I can say is that my computer seems to be back to normal.

BoDill

P.S. After writing the above post, I went to a site called WhatBrowser.com and it tells me that I am using Firefox 35.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

BoDill wrote:P.S. After writing the above post, I went to a site called WhatBrowser.com and it tells me that I am using Firefox 35.
Why don't you ask Firefox itself which version it is? "Hamburger" Icon => Question Mark (?) => About Firefox.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

"Hamburger" Icon
I smile every time I read this--to me it looks more like pancakes :)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hm, pancakes would be perfectly all right for me, too. :)
Yet, I think I got the term "hamburger" icon from the Mozilla webpage. And the Mozilla guys should know whether Firefox brings along hamburgers or pancakes, shouldn't they? :wink:

This is what the menu icon in the upper right hand corner of the Firefox application window looks like here:
Firefox 35.0.1 menu icon, hamburger? or pancake?
Firefox 35.0.1 menu icon, hamburger? or pancake?
FF_MenuIcon.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 513 times
I wonder a bit what the cat would call it.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Yep. Could have been a universal "Next Exit" symbol for ihop though. :)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.

Return to “Newbie Questions”