playonlinux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ocaz13
Level 1
Level 1

playonlinux

Post by Ocaz13 »

How do i update playonlinux to 4.2.1 so i can use micrsoft word 2007, bcause my class wont accept anything but mircrosoft word
z1p101
Level 1
Level 1

Re: playonlinux

Post by z1p101 »

Go to the playonlinux web site and add their ubuntu repo per their instructions. Then a sudo apt-get update followed by a sudo apt-get upgrade should work but I haven't tryed it for a while. However, I did just install POL 4.2.1 the other day using their ubuntu repo.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

:arrow: Ummm... Libre Office can open and save in MS Word 2007 format... Just sayin'.. 8)
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
Ocaz13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ocaz13 »

libre office does odc, and they will only accept doc
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

.odc is the native format for Libre Office but it "understands" many other formats i.e. it can read and save in many other formats. It's true that in some cases, the "translation" is not 100% perfect but it is generally very good.

I have thousands of .doc files (originally MS Word 2000 files) on my office computer which runs on Mint 13 with Libre Office... it opens, edits, and saves files in .doc format at my office all day long... it also understands Word 2003 XML (.xml) and Word 2007/2010 XML (.docx) formats as well...

...just sayin'... :wink:

ETA: And if you're just handing in homework, Libre also can save as a PDF... EVERYBODY (OSs) can view/read, & print PDFs.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

MS Word was the first Office version that introduced .docx as the new default file format -- and that does NOT work well in any of the open-source word processor programs. If your classmates choose to use .docx, you will likely be stuck using Word 2007 as well.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

"My class woin't accept anything but Microsoft word (word2007 presumably) .."

That's because the Teacher/instructor doesn't know any better: no surprise there
http://dedoimedo.com/computers/libreoffice-vs-microsoft-office.html
  • The other way around
    As it happens, from Microsoft Office 2007 onwards, this suite can import ODF files without the use of third-party converters. So perhaps all you want or need to do is send your work to someone saved in the original format, which would be ODF of some sort
    ... (and this true as well)
    In our world, with the market dominated by Microsoft Office, you must use Word for your documents. You may like it or not, deny it or not, but at the end of the day, people on the other end, the weakest link in your chain, will demand it, and they don't care about GPL or portability or anything else. For casual use, any word-processing software will work.
  • In fact I have often thought why a word processor or office suite: any reasonably good text editor (not a word process or DTP (Desktop Publisher) program is all that is really needed for common office writing (memos, summaries and documents (not books)
    --something than can use formatting and support tables and image inserts..
Maybe a chance to educate the establishment
--if you feel brave!
CtrlAltDel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CtrlAltDel »

As Reorx stated, LibreOffice documents can be saved in .doc format.
Attachments
Selection_004.png
Mint 20 Cinnamon / i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720 / 8 GB Memory
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

CtrlAltDel wrote:As Reorx stated, LibreOffice documents can be saved in .doc format.
That's NOT the issue.

The issue is that folks using Word 2007 will automatically save new documents using the .docx format -- which will present various problems when trying to read, edit, and change these documents using apps other than MS Word.

Unless everyone else in the class changes their default to save Word docs in .doc format, anyone NOT using MS Word is going to have difficulties.

Return to “Newbie Questions”