Checking integrity of a distribution download

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
GatorNation1
Level 1
Level 1

Checking integrity of a distribution download

Post by GatorNation1 »

I downloaded Linux Mint 15 MATE and have the MD5 information. The file I want to check is linuxmint-15-mate-dvd-32bit.iso. Specifically, how do I check to see if this file matches the checksum I already have for the file, and the file is good before I use it?
z1p101
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Checking integrity of a distribution download

Post by z1p101 »

To check the hash of the downloaded file on Linux you can open a terminal, cd to the directory of the file, and enter

Code: Select all

md5sum myfilename.iso
or you can install GtkHash and use that if you want to use a GUI application. The program is pretty much self explanatory.

To check the .iso file in windows you can [url=http://www.snapfiles.com/get/hashcalc.html]install this[/url] and use it.

There are a lot of other ways but this will get you started.
GatorNation1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GatorNation1 »

Thanks, worked fine, got a good download, burned two good DVDs, got Mint 15 installed and up and running. Older than dirt here, in fact Methuselah was my younger brother. :-) So I guess the moral of the story is you CAN teach and old dog new tricks, it just takes a little longer. Having suffered the choice of CPM vs DOS 1.0 and then having to put a new BIOS chip in my first PC-1 to recognize two MONGO 20 MB Seagate S-238 drives, Linux is a welcomed change. To have a laugh on me, I wrote over Windows on my Dell workstation, a very soul-satisfying event. Now, will have to run my two Windows legacy programs, TurboTax and Quicken on my 50 inch plasma display in the living room, hooked up to an IBM computer, with XP installed. Thanks again.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

GN1;

You may be able to run your legacy Windoze apps under Wine, Crossover, or perhaps in a virtual machine running WinXP in VirtualBox... food for thought... for when you don't have anything better to do... :lol:

Older than dirt eh?... Yeah but did you ever punch holes in cards (with a purpose built hole puncher machine) in order to come up with a deck of cards that comprise your Fortran program?!?!? You then put the deck in a card reader to get it into the computer to run it... Had to be careful walking to and from the "computer center" in college... if not, you could get eaten by a T. Rex... :lol: "Personal" computers (as we know them) didn't exist back then... There was a device that resembled a personal computer... a Radioshack TRS80 - it didn't have a HD. Durable memory was a cassette recorder with a tape in it - aka a "tape drive" - SLOW sequential access memory... it was "better than nothing"... The good news is that there were no viruses back then (there was no MS-DOS back then)... this was about a decade or so before Linus wrote the first Linux kernel... ah, the good ol' days... :mrgreen:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
Stoaphil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Stoaphil »

Reorx:

Our IBM Cardreader was about 3 feet from our TRS-80s - which I believe were running TRS-DOS (TandyRadioShack) Fun Stuff!
GatorNation1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GatorNation1 »

For a time stamp, I used to register at the University of Gatorland, down in the basement of the Admin building. We had IBM punch cards, and I was informed my name was too long to fit on the card space allowed. I told them to cut out the parts of my name they felt like. Registering took as much as 12 HOURS or so, for you had to go get add and drop cards all across the campus when classes were filled. I always thought we should have gotten one credit for having registered successfully. And NO I will not miss Windows. I can do my TurboTax and Quicken on or before April 15th each year (National Day or Mourning) on my 50 inch plasma display (TV set) while holding a cold Youngling. All productive and fun stuff will be done under Mint 15.
GatorNation1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GatorNation1 »

For a time stamp, I used to register at the University of Gatorland, down in the basement of the Admin building. We had IBM punch cards, and I was informed my name was too long to fit on the card space allowed. I told them to cut out the parts of my name they felt like. Registering took as much as 12 HOURS or so, for you had to go get add and drop cards all across the campus when classes were filled. I always thought we should have gotten one credit for having registered successfully. And NO I will not miss Windows. I can do my TurboTax and Quicken on or before April 15th each year (National Day or Mourning) on my 50 inch plasma display (TV set) while holding a cold Youngling. All productive and fun stuff will be done under Mint 15.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

GatorNation1 wrote:For a time stamp, I used to register at the University of Gatorland, down in the basement of the Admin building. We had IBM punch cards, and I was informed my name was too long to fit on the card space allowed. I told them to cut out the parts of my name they felt like. Registering took as much as 12 HOURS or so, for you had to go get add and drop cards all across the campus when classes were filled. I always thought we should have gotten one credit for having registered successfully. And NO I will not miss Windows. I can do my TurboTax and Quicken on or before April 15th each year (National Day or Mourning) on my 50 inch plasma display (TV set) while holding a cold Youngling. All productive and fun stuff will be done under Mint 15.
Yeah, I had to chase punched cards to register as well... but registration was done in 1 large area with all professors attenting (seated at departmental tables) in possession of cards for their classes... Ahhhhh, the good ol' days... :mrgreen:

P.S.: Which "U of Gatorland" are you referring to??? Most "Gatorland" schools are in the south (but the one I attended was in the northeast)... Yuengling is a northeast beer (Pottstown, Pa.) I now live in Florida (a different gatorland)... :mrgreen:

[img]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120129084904/collegefootballmania/images/8/8a/Allegheny_gators.jpg[/img] [img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/Yuengling_logo.png[/img]

P.P.S: GO GATORS!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
GatorNation1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GatorNation1 »

Florida Gators. I am a native Floridian, raised in Miami, FL.

Return to “Newbie Questions”