did I screw up my system here?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
farmwife
Level 1
Level 1

did I screw up my system here?

Post by farmwife »

I installed Mint 15 KDE x64 and wanted to add a directory to the $PATH variable. This is the command I tried first:

Code: Select all

$ set $PATH = %$PATH% + /home/[username]/python
That did not return an error message, but my $PATH as displayed with echo $PATH didn't change. So I tried this:

$ set --help
That returned an error message. So I tried:

$ set
And that created so much output that it scrolled off the top of my terminal buffer. So I tried another way to get help:

$ set -h
Oops. No output whatsoever. So I tried this in order to find out what I'd done to my system:

$ man set
And got an error message saying there is no man page entry for set.

So how badly have I messed things up? Do I need to reinstall? I mean, everything seems to work fine, but I have no idea if there aren't problems brewing deep in the bowels of my OS.
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: did I screw up my system here?

Post by wallaroo »

Rest assured no damage done - any environmental variable changes only apply to the current shell, as soon as you close the shell (terminal session) they get thrown away.

Generally the commands to use are:
To list all environment variables use

env
To show a specific variable value use 'echo'

echo $PATH
To add to the existing PATH use

PATH=$PATH:/home/[username]/python
To make this PATH change permanent for you every time you login you will need to edit the '.profile' file in your home directory.
(You may see an example already in '.profile' where '$HOME/bin' is being conditionally added to your $PATH variable)

Return to “Newbie Questions”