Internet appears connected but doesn't work (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
beansandjeans
Level 3
Level 3

Internet appears connected but doesn't work (SOLVED)

Post by beansandjeans »

Hi all, wanted to see if anyone might have some ideas about what might be causing this problem.

I recently moved and we got new DSL service. We have a combination modem and wireless router.

When we first setup the internet, I used it with my laptop, which runs an earlier version of Linux Mint. It works on that computer no problem with both the wired connection and the WiFi. But then when we set up the desktop computer and plugged it in then it appeared to make a normal wired connection, and the little indicator shows the computer as being connected, but no webpages will load. I opened the task manager and it shows just a bit of data being sent but nothing being received.

This same desktop computer dual boots with Windows 7, and there the internet is working normally. I've also used this same computer and this same Mint installation (Mint 13, MATE) with other DSL connections and didn't have a problem. So I'm a bit stumped as to what's going on now. I've restarted everything a bunch of times but nothing helps. The only thing I can think of is that maybe one of the settings got out of whack for some reason.

So if anyone here has some ideas for what I might do to diagnose or try to fix this problem that would be much appreciated. This is the the computer we use with our large monitor for watching movies, and I'd rather not have to keep using Windows all the time there.

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by beansandjeans on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Internet appears connected but doesn't work

Post by WharfRat »

beansandjeans,

Open the terminal application and paste back the output of these:

Code: Select all

inxi -i

rfkill list

ping -c2 google.com
ImageImage
beansandjeans
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beansandjeans »

WharfRat wrote: Open the terminal application and paste back the output of these:

inxi -i

rfkill list

ping -c2 google.com

Thanks WharfRat.

For the first one it shows: "Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:30:67:bb:6d:0a"

For the rfkill list, all I was able to get was "Command 'rfkill' is available in '/usr/sbin/rfkill'
The command could not be located because '/usr/sbin' is not included in the PATH environment variable.
This is most likely caused by the lack of administrative privileges associated with your user account."

I tried doing "sudo bash" and running the command again in a root terminal, but then I just waited forever and never got anything back at all.

For the ping it just says "ping: unknown host google.com" which isn't really a surprise since I can't get to Google or any other website on any browser.

Anyway, hope that might be helpful towards figuring out what's going on...
z1p101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z1p101 »

I'm assuming your using some kind of router using a DHCP service with your DSL equipment. Your computer may be looking for it's old DCHP lease which is no longer there.

Open a terminal and type this to remove the old information

sudo dhclient -r
and then to try and get a new lease

sudo dhclient eth0 
and then to test it.

ping -c 2 google.com
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

I suppose that the reason is missing DNS-settings, because nowadays Mint does not make /etc/resolv.conf file, which determines DNS-settings. You can make /etc/resolv.conf yourself and network should work again .. :wink:

An example with Google's public DNS on /etc/resolv.conf file

nameserver 8.8.8.8
https://developers.google.com/speed/pub ... docs/using
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

When you are trying to connect, use another computer with working connection to access the router interface and find out what it shows regarding the first computer connection. While in the router program, see if the number of assigned IP addresses have a limit set by DHCP.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
beansandjeans
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beansandjeans »

z1p101 wrote: Open a terminal and type this to remove the old information

sudo dhclient -r
and then to try and get a new lease

sudo dhclient eth0 
]
Thanks z1p101 - That worked like a charm!

Everything working normally again now :-)

Thanks everyone else who posted suggestions here, and sorry about the delay in reply. Will mark it now as solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”