No sound - why?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Littlefatman
Level 1
Level 1

No sound - why?

Post by Littlefatman »

Hello,

I have recently installed Mint, and I am unable to get my audio working. I use a HDMI cable to connect my PC to my TV. I had this exact setup with Windows, and the audio was fine.

In Mint's System Settings -> Sound -> Output, I have the "Digital Output (S/PDIF) Built in audio" selected. When I click "Test Sound" and then "Left Speaker" and "Right speaker" nothing happens (no sound).

To see if the problem is with the application settings, I have played audio files in Banshee, Firefox and the preinstalled video/audio player. No audio, and while looking at the settings in each program, I can't see why.

The volume on the taskbar is set to 100percet, the TV's volume is all the way up, and each application's volume is at max.

I have checked t he HDMI cord's connection to the TV and the PC is snug.

I have all my bases covered, as far as I can tell, yet I am still at a loss. Help!

Thanks,

Littlefatman
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: No sound - why?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Is sound muted? Install Pavucontrol and check settings.
Littlefatman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Littlefatman »

administrollaattori wrote:Is sound muted? Install Pavucontrol and check settings.
Hi administrollaattori, thanks for the help.

I installed pavucontrol and checked to see if anything was muted, and nothing was, as far as I can tell.

I then played a music track in Mint's default player and proceeded to click on, push, scroll up and down every switch and bar and option in pavucontrol, to no sucess.

I then played music and movies in the default player, VLC, firefox and banshee simultaneously, all while clicking and pushing everything I could in pavucontrol, to no avail. Still no sound...

By the way, this is the PC that I am using - http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AspireRevo-AR3700-U3002-Compact-Desktop/dp/B00433SP6G

Acer Aspire 3700, and it is connected to my TV, a Sharp Aquos LC-32DX1.

Pulling out my hair on this one!

Thanks
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

QD Guide to Debugging Sound

Post by mike acker »

Fixing Sound Problems

it's like checking a chain: you have to go link by link.

in the tray you should see a music note. click this and then select Sound Settings. this should result in a "Sound" control panel ( image attached ) . check the output volume and the on/off switch. if you can't find the music note then go to the start menu , click system tools, system settings , then sound .

here you will see the available sound outputs* that have been identified and supported by your Linux/Mint system . if the sound output you are expecting to use doesn't appear then -- either (a) it is malfunctioning, or (b) your system doesn't recognize it ( in which case you need to get the driver for it, -- or get the Behringer UFO202 or similar USB/DAC) . or the system settings / sound dialog doesn't work right see Annex 1.

the "Built in" components -- are the ones on the motherboard. The PCM2902 is my Behreinger UFO202 USB DAC

N.B. My ASUS M5A88-M (motherboard) does have an HDMI output. This is not reported by the System Settings / Sound program . n/a for me; I use a Behringer USB/DAC

Next: you have to be connected to something if you wanna get any kind of sound. perhaps your computer is a laptop and has built in speakers. if so, select the built in audio and then run the sound test. if you don't get the "front/left" and "front/right" responses there's a chance your speakers have died.

your computer may have audio out jacks. if your computer has built in speakers and the 3.5mm stereo jacks the jacks are probably "self-shorting" i.e. they have built in switches so that when you plug in a stereo cable the signal is switched onto the cable that you are using. the switches could be bad in which case one side or the other or both might work in one mode but not the other. the computer has to sense that something is connected -- and if the switches are sticking** the computer might not recognize that it has any speakers connected.

once you have your system recognizing a connection it is time to test the connection. on internal speakers just run the TEST SOUND from the panel. you should get "front left" and "front right" sound-outs .

on external equipment you have more points of failure to check: make sure the cable you are using works. this would typically be a 3.5mm stereo cable, or a "Y" splitter with 3.5mm plug on one end and RCA plugs on the other to be connected to a stereo receiver/amplifier, -- or TV, DVD/CD player, etc.

make sure the receiver/amplifier is working : set it on FM for a minute; then switch it to AUX IN or LINE IN or REC IN and connect your stereo cable. leave the volume set to what was normal on the FM.

if you are using a self-powered speaker then these would need to be tested using a computer that is known to work; check with a buddy ( but not during football this afternoon : computers off during the game ) .

remember the connector cable is often the problem so you need to test with a cable you can show works -- like check it out on another computer. the trick here is to check things with parts that you can show to be working OK.

once you get the TEST SOUND thing working you can activate any app you like. Check to be sure it is not muted; and that the volume is set to 100% ( for starters / adjust later ) . be sure the app is selecting to the default output -- which is the output you have selected and tested ( above ) . you should get about the same volume level. if not you might have a signal mismatch-- e.g. feeding a line level signal into a MIC input, or feeding an amplified signal e.g. headphones -- into a line level input . in such cases you might adjust the voulme levels but you won't get the best sound . consider a USB connected DAC

this is a quick and dirty guide to debugging sound; i suspect that since you are playing thru a TV you are trying to use HDMI -- and if you system does not recognize HDMI then that would stop the sound . look at the TV see if it has RCA jacks for sound ( color code RED and WHITE ) . if you are trying to use HDMI consider testing with the RCA connectors . you would use a "splitter" cable for this, with 3.5mm plug on eone end and RCA jacks on the other .
~~
* the Sound Settings, -- is buggy: if you click on the "inputs" -- and have nothing attached the dialog will close abruptly on you .

**an old machine might suffer from corrosion.

~~
Amendment 1
you should install the PAVUCONTROL as recommended above . I did that just now. It reports the HDMI port and does not kill itself when asked about inputs.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mischivousmic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mischivousmic »

Hey I'm having the same issue, but I'm using headphones that I know work on a machine with a fresh install of linux mint 15 64bit (I installed last night because Ubuntu 12.04 lts was just not working out on this machine) I'm running a(n) HP A1430N upgraded to 4gb RAM and with an nvidia 210 1gb video card added in. I think the issue is that the machine isn't recognizing the onboard audio card, because when I open up the sound utility the only option I have is "Dummy output"

I'm pretty rusty on linux, took a class a couple years ago but I haven't played with it much since...
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

USING TERMINAL, start here:

Code: Select all

~ $ sudo lshw -C sound
[sudo] password 
  *-multimedia            
       description: Audio device
       product: RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
       physical id: 5.1
       bus info: pci@0000:01:05.1
       version: 00
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=0
       resources: irq:19 memory:fe9e8000-fe9ebfff
  *-multimedia
       product: SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
       physical id: 14.2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
       version: 40
       width: 64 bits
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=64
       resources: irq:16 memory:fe7f8000-fe7fbfff
 ~ $ 
this will display any sound equipment that your system recognizes . as you can see I have the HDMI port and the Realtec surround sound that is built in on my motherboard. i actually use the Behringer USB/DAC (UFO202) . if you are using a lap-top you aren't going to stuff a new sound card in it if your onboard sound stuff isn't recognized. so the easy solution is to get a UFO. ( they are stereo only ) .
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Dateline: homework

Post by mike acker »

sometimes it helps to google for your question......

i tried to get a list of supported sound cards but the lists i came up with were rather badly dated.

evidently a thing called OSS4 caused a lot of trouble a while back and Ubuntu evidently killed it. Hopefully the chipset in your system is PCI based; if it is it should communicate with Linux
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mischivousmic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mischivousmic »

mike acker wrote:USING TERMINAL, start here:

~ $ sudo lshw -C sound
[sudo] password 
  *-multimedia            
       product: RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]
       physical id: 5.1
       bus info: pci@0000:01:05.1
       version: 00
       capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
       resources: irq:19 memory:fe9e8000-fe9ebfff
  *-multimedia
       product: SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
       physical id: 14.2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:14.2
       version: 40
       capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=64
       resources: irq:16 memory:fe7f8000-fe7fbfff
 ~ $ 
this will display any sound equipment that your system recognizes . as you can see I have the HDMI port and the Realtec surround sound that is built in on my motherboard. i actually use the Behringer USB/DAC (UFO202) . if you are using a lap-top you aren't going to stuff a new sound card in it if your onboard sound stuff isn't recognized. so the easy solution is to get a UFO. ( they are stereo only ) .

here is my output from the command, looks like it's trying to output sound through my video card, I do not have an HDMI input on this monitor nor do I have speakers so figuring out how to get sound through the onboard card instead of my upgraded video card is apparently the task

my output below
~ $ sudo lshw -C sound
[sudo] password for brad:
*-multimedia
product: High Definition Audio Controller
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0.1
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.1
version: a1
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
resources: irq:16 memory:fcffc000-fcffffff

update- tried to plug my headphones into the monitor and test a youtube video, no sound output.
Littlefatman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Littlefatman »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. You took a long time to write that guide and I appreciate it.

I took some time trying to troubleshoot with you instructions. I have used the system sound setting and pulseaudio but have not seen any sucess. There is only one listed outout device, the "built in audio-digital stereo IEC 958" which I assume is the built in speaker on the TV i have my computer connected to via HDMI cord.

I took you advice that it might be my hardware that is malfuntioning to heart and tested it. I stole my girlfriend's blueray player and connected it via her HDMI cord to my TV. The audio works fine. I thought it might be my HDMI cord that is malfunctioning, so I connected the blueray player to the TV with my HDMI cord - audio is fine.

I don't have an external audio system, as you provded advice for testing, simply the built in TV speakers. I do have the red and white RCA jacks on my TV and a headphone out (3.5mm?) jack on my PC, though I don't have the cord to connect the two. Maybe this cord lives somewhere in the dusty recesses of a storage closet...

I previously used windows 7 and the audio worked fine, it was only after I changed to Mint that this problem occured.

I did some googling and reading on my PC and found these guides.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67819
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59877

It states,

"You need the Nvidia drivers 185 series. IMPORTANT: the 190 series driver breaks lpcm hdmi output totally or partially"

"Note: I wouldn't recommend trying to go beyond the 185 driver versions as they all break HDMI audio (apparently a fix is in the works, but for now, they don't work)."

If I am reading it correctly, there seems to be some precedence to my computer's nvidia ion drivers having audio issues. (The guide's author is using a machine similar to mine but a bit older) What do you think?
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Littlefatman wrote:Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. You took a long time to write that guide and I appreciate it.

I took some time trying to troubleshoot with you instructions. I have used the system sound setting and pulseaudio but have not seen any sucess. There is only one listed outout device, the "built in audio-digital stereo IEC 958" which I assume is the built in speaker on the TV i have my computer connected to via HDMI cord.

I took you advice that it might be my hardware that is malfuntioning to heart and tested it. I stole my girlfriend's blueray player and connected it via her HDMI cord to my TV. The audio works fine. I thought it might be my HDMI cord that is malfunctioning, so I connected the blueray player to the TV with my HDMI cord - audio is fine.

I don't have an external audio system, as you provded advice for testing, simply the built in TV speakers. I do have the red and white RCA jacks on my TV and a headphone out (3.5mm?) jack on my PC, though I don't have the cord to connect the two. Maybe this cord lives somewhere in the dusty recesses of a storage closet...

I previously used windows 7 and the audio worked fine, it was only after I changed to Mint that this problem occured.

I did some googling and reading on my PC and found these guides.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67819
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59877

It states,

"You need the Nvidia drivers 185 series. IMPORTANT: the 190 series driver breaks lpcm hdmi output totally or partially"

"Note: I wouldn't recommend trying to go beyond the 185 driver versions as they all break HDMI audio (apparently a fix is in the works, but for now, they don't work)."

If I am reading it correctly, there seems to be some precedence to my computer's nvidia ion drivers having audio issues. (The guide's author is using a machine similar to mine but a bit older) What do you think?
your #1 clue is -- it worked w/ Windows but not w/ Mint . this definitely indicates a driver problem. what you need is the mfr and product id for you card. then go on the audio forum and see if anyone knows which driver to use; also google for linux mint driver for your card . if you can't get a reliable answer then consider getting a Behringer UFO202 USB/DAC -- or stop at ABC Warehouse and get a splitter cable . before you buy a splitter cable though does the

sudo lshw -C sound
inquiry show your onboard audio -- or did the nvidia card cut it out ?

you've done a good job isolating the problem though
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

the thing that seems odd is -- if Linux identifies the hardware device you would think it would play it,--

from my reading though I think Linux likes pci devices,--

from Terminal try this :

~ $ lspci |grep Audio
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]
 ~ $ 
this should give you a quick look at the audio devices you can test with using the Sound Control
sound_control.png
both of you are having trouble with nvidia devices which is not surprising. please run the above command so hopefully we can see what the model numbers of the devices you have installed are .
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Littlefatman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Littlefatman »

Thanks again Mike! I have spent a good chunk of the day on this with no luck...but now I have some more options.

I ran the " sudo lshw -C sound " command as you suggested and got this as the output
PCI (sysfs)

*-multimedia
product: NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1b
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 02
resources: irq:45 memory:feafc000-feafffff
*-multimedia
product: High Definition Audio Controller
vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
physical id: 0.1
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.1
version: a1
resources: irq:17 memory:fcf7c000-fcf7ffff

Can I ask two stupid questions?

1. You said,

"also google for linux mint driver for your card"

I assume you are referring to the nvidia ION graphics card, right? My PC does not have its own independent sound card, correct? How can I tell exactly what the name of my card is?

2. You said, "From Terminal try this :

~ $ lspci |grep Audio
00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]
~ $ "

I am not that familiar with the terminal. How do I do this exactly? I hit the "Select all" in the code you provided and then pasted it into a terminal window and it spat out this:

alan@alan-Aspire-R3700 ~ $ ~ $ lspci |grep Audio
bash: /home/alan: Is a directory
alan@alan-Aspire-R3700 ~ $ 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
alan@alan-Aspire-R3700 ~ $ 01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]
01:05.1: command not found
alan@alan-Aspire-R3700 ~ $ ~ $
bash: /home/alan: Is a directory
alan@alan-Aspire-R3700 ~ $

Sorry for the stupid questions. I appreciate the help, and your patience!
Last edited by Littlefatman on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Littlefatman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Littlefatman »

Googling my problem and found a guy who has the same PC as me and the same problem, but I have to idea how he solved it...its too technical for me...can anyone help?
Ben Boyer (cordlessmodem) said on 2011-02-10: #8

Alight, I've found my problem. I wasn't being consistent between testing and setup through installs. I'm going to post details and links to my resources tonight but I'll list a quick summary here:
Allay -Dhw:1,7 wasn't working, but then I found and copy pasted allay -Dplughw:1,7 and worked perfectly. This is after setting "options snd-hda-intel=model:stack3-dig" in alsa-base.conf.
What I missed the first time I got aplay to output was my. Asoundrc file- I copypasted it from ( a very useful) forum post but I only did a small part of it. Doing the whole thing properly set the HDMI as the default audio on the right hardware.

Yet another thing I did properly this time was to add the alsa repository and update the modules to the most current.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this and hopefully I can make this easier to follow for someone with the same issue that's as bad with with directions as I am.
From this site

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s ... ion/144293
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Man, I was pulling my hair out on that one too. I spent I don't know how many hours googling and on forums to get this resolved ... getting my quad core 8 GB ram desktop that's plugged into my HDMI screen to produce sound properly with my 7.1 surround setup that we have in the Livingroom. This is not the first time that I've experienced this problem with Linux and I just got too frustrated and irritated at the amount of time that went into trying to find a solution ...
... especially since I like to tinker with my system and rebuild it every year for the heck of it.

So my solution ... a permanent solution forever ... was to go on eBay ...
There I spent $9.95 for a USB 2.0 Surround Sound 5.1 Adapter. It even has headphone & mic jacks. :wink:

I haven't looked back since. That USB adapter has instantly worked on any Linux distro that I've tried. I expected the sound to be pretty crappy but it's actually very good. If I play high quality MP3 songs or concert videos, I can crank the sound way up and it sounds pretty darn good. Gotta have good speakers for great sound too, of course. No more tinkering and wasting hours of time for me. Spend $9.95 (free shipping from those Asian countries) :D and you'll be happy, happy, happy ...
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
Littlefatman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Littlefatman »

LinWinux wrote:Man, I was pulling my hair out on that one too. I spent I don't know how many hours googling and on forums to get this resolved ... getting my quad core 8 GB ram desktop that's plugged into my HDMI screen to produce sound properly with my 7.1 surround setup that we have in the Livingroom. This is not the first time that I've experienced this problem with Linux and I just got too frustrated and irritated at the amount of time that went into trying to find a solution ...
... especially since I like to tinker with my system and rebuild it every year for the heck of it.

So my solution ... a permanent solution forever ... was to go on eBay ...
There I spent $9.95 for a USB 2.0 Surround Sound 5.1 Adapter. It even has headphone & mic jacks. :wink:

I haven't looked back since. That USB adapter has instantly worked on any Linux distro that I've tried. I expected the sound to be pretty crappy but it's actually very good. If I play high quality MP3 songs or concert videos, I can crank the sound way up and it sounds pretty darn good. Gotta have good speakers for great sound too, of course. No more tinkering and wasting hours of time for me. Spend $9.95 (free shipping from those Asian countries) :D and you'll be happy, happy, happy ...
Thanks for the advice LinWinux!

I don't think buying a USB adapter is an option for me because I am not using a sound system like yours, but the built in speakers on my TV.

Although, I understand and appreciate what you are saying. Spending this much time pulling my hair out over such a problem is not worth the $10 is costs to buy a small piece of hardward that will do the trick for me. I am now considering buying speakers that I can just connect to the headphone out jack...
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Not using external speakers may actually be the root of the problem. Our HD TV with HDMI also has built-in speakers and it's no fun at all listening to them when you're enjoying a concert or a good movie with lots of 3D sound going on. Could just be that Linux is not accepting or recognizing the sound portion of the HDMI in the TV since HDMI provides both, picture & sound at the same time ... or perhaps that the mainboard of the computer will not permit the use of two simultaneous sound configurations? When I switched to the USB adapter my external speakers worked.
The speaker/headphone jack never worked for me before ... perhaps because they can't both run at the same time?
(HDMI cable with picture & sound together ... PLUS ... another cable just for the speaker sound)

It seems to me that perhaps the use of the HDMI cable instantly cancels out the use of the speaker/head phone jack. Can that be possible? I guess one way to test that theory is by connecting the TV without HDMI cable, using traditional 5 strand (for HDMI use) video cables instead, followed by seeing if the speaker jack on the computer then works? That's probably the only thing that I haven't tried yet ...

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

the more i dig into this the more it seems trying to run HDMI on Linux via Nvidia is likely trouble.

until we can get to the core of this the easy way out is most likely a USB/DAC such as the Behringer UFO202 ( stereo ) .

NOTE: if you are trying to run the sound into a TV look on the TV for RCA jacks: RED and WHITE. These may be the audio inputs and if so you can connect the Behringer LINE out to you TV this way using an RCA patch cord .

CHECK THE BOOK.
you need to know if the RCA jacks on your TV are inputs or outputs. if they are outputs they are meant to hook into a amp and speakers.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mischivousmic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mischivousmic »

according to what I've found, the issue I'm having over here is that my onboard sound card drivers aren't included with mint 15 out of the box. I'm having some trouble but I'm trying to get those installed. I followed one set of instructions for installing the software and I ended up with a machine that wouldn't boot even in safe mode. Suffice it to say I'm beyond noob at te moment. now I have a different version of the driver to install and I'm trying to figure out how to install it properly...
mischivousmic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mischivousmic »

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1236

I've been using this because nowhere can I find my system saying anything about my realtek audio hardware, so I'm tyring to install drivers from realtek's site. the link the article provides is daed, you have to search on your own to find the right driver page. I'm still having trouble trying to install it because I'm such a noob. I'm all the way on the last step here, I input make install and I get the following message. I don't know what to do, I've been fighting this so long >.<

make install
if [ -L /include/sound ]; then \
rm -f /include/sound; \
ln -sf /home/brad/Downloads/realtek-linux-audiopack-5.16/alsa-driver-1.0.24/include/sound /include/sound; \
else \
rm -rf /include/sound; \
install -d -m 755 -g root -o root /include/sound; \
for f in include/sound/*.h; do \
install -m 644 -g root -o root $f /include/sound; \
done \
fi
install: cannot stat ‘include/sound/*.h’: No such file or directory
make: *** [install-headers] Error 1
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

on the Audio Support forum they ask for inxi -Fx data to help analyzing trouble:

mike ~ $ inxi -Fx
System:    Host: ALBERT4 Kernel: 3.8.0-19-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.7.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A88-M version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 1101 date: 03/16/2012
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 965 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 27199 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz 3: 800.00 MHz 4: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 [Radeon HD 4250] bus-ID: 01:05.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.1.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:05.1
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-3: Texas Instruments Japan PCM2902 Audio Codec driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 08bb:2902
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.8.0-19-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce port: d800 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 10:bf:48:fb:aa:5b
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e800 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 30:85:a9:ae:e8:1d
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 3000.6GB (14.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST31000524AS size: 1000.2GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: ST31000524AS size: 1000.2GB 3: id: /dev/sdc model: ST31000524AS size: 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 902G used: 400G (47%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 16.91GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 33.0C mobo: 31.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1630 sys-1: 794 
Info:      Processes: 178 Uptime: 1:18 Memory: 1224.3/15797.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.7.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
mike ~ $ 
this is from my ASUS based system, which is working OK ( although i have no amp that accepts HDMI so i can't test that ) .

this gives the best system analysis of any query command i've found thus far. what we are looking for: does the system find the hardware ( look under the Audio section ) . does the system assign a driver to each identified hardware ? again, examine the audio section .

let us see what your system reports, please

if the system identifies the hardware and assigns a driver -- it should work. unless the driver is defective. { one might remember from Linx forums recently that nvidia's work on drivers,...... left something to be desired. that's not exactly how Linus put it though :oops: }

lastly we note they have Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) installed . this is evidently an extensive topic. i found a couple essays on it. more later .
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Newbie Questions”