Which is "lighter"? XFCE or Cinnamon?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BowWow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Which is "lighter"? XFCE or Cinnamon?

Post by BowWow »

passerby wrote:Of the LM distros, I'd go with LM 13 (32 bit), either XFCE or MATE. Definitely not a graphics-intensive environment like Cinnamon or KDE.
Thanks. Are you suggesting LM 13 because it is long term support?

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Post by passerby »

Yes.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

nomko

Post by nomko »

JosephM wrote:Actually those numbers seem right to me. I have Mint 15 with Cinnamon installed on my machine and it clocks in at about the 150-170mb range. However I installed it into VirtualBox awhile back to mess with some things and was suprised to see how much lower it's memory usage was. It was right around the 80mb mark. I don't know why the difference but it would be interesting to find out why.
The difference is that (IMHO) under Virtualbox you're only using the 2D fall back mode while installing it as it should be uses the 3D mode. And that is what eating resources/memory.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

That's not the case. At least on my machine, Cinnamon runs fine in 3d mode under VirtualBox.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Orbmiser wrote:Just not seeing the significance of a DE's window manager that runs in 50mb or 150mb..
On my 8GB of RAM machine I don't care either but on my 1GB netbook I can tell the difference. On my 512MB machine that 100MB (sometimes more) savings is enough to allow me to use Firefox instead of Midori and on my 256MB machine for some desktops is the difference between booting and not booting.

Return to “Newbie Questions”