[SOLVED] Moving Home Folder to new computer with Mint 15

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cheZ
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Moving Home Folder to new computer with Mint 15

Post by cheZ »

i have successfully installed Mint 15 ( Cinnamon 64bit ) onto a new Lenovo y580 Laptop , and now i must move my Home Folder onto the new y580 from my old laptop ( running Mint 11 64bit ). i have done this before in the past a couple of times , but wanted to ask for some clarification on a couple of things before i do it again.
i don't need to do a full backup & restore ( using mint backup , and frankly mint backup has been problematic for me in the past ) , as i plan to only move my most important personal data ( Home folder ) which consists of ; text documents ( in gedit ) , stand-alone link files from firefox ( dragged to desktop and saved as a file ) , various folders , various picture / movie / music files , openshot files , pdf files.
i plan to use Firefox SYNC to get all my passwords / prefs / add-ons / bookmarks onto the new laptop ( which already has a fresh install of Mint 15 & Firefox installed ).
i have set-up the new computer / mint 15 with the same admin password & name as my old computer.
my question is , should i possibly expect any problems with permissions or possibly unreadable stand-alone link files or text documents , etc ... if i simply move my Home folder ( and it's contents ) onto an external hard drive ....and then move it to the new computer ( inside the new Home folder ).
any advice & expert opinions appreciated , thanks guys ! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Una 64bit Edge
Thinkpad P52 Intel Core i7-8850H 128gb DDR4
Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD 2tb SSD
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2tb SSD
Nvidia P3200 Quadro / Intel UHD 630 Graphics
15.6"1080p FHD
WharfRat

Re: Moving Home Folder to new computer with Mint 15

Post by WharfRat »

cheZ,

A little trick for firefox. There's a .mozilla folder in your home folder. In the terminal you can move it to a different name e.g., .mozilla.new then use cp -a to copy your old .mozilla folder and everything will be as if you were running it on the old computer.

If you should run into any type of permission problem, just start your file manager with sudo or gksudo in the terminal, then reset the owner when your done.

Good luck :wink:
cheZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cheZ »

hi WharfRat ~ thanks very much for taking the time to reply , although ....even though i read your advice / instructions over and over more times than i care to mention , it still has me a bit confused. not being a terminal person so much ( i only enter simple commands / scripts that others understand much better than i ....and i rarely enter very many of them ...only for the occasional install / update etc.. ) , i can't seem to make much sense of your advice , although both tips sound perfect for what i am doing. any possibility that you can elaborate or maybe offer a more detailed step by step on those ? thanks in advance :) all the best ! ~ cheZ
15.6"1080p FHD
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Code: Select all

rsync -avz /target/ /destination
Note! there must be / after target! An example:

rsync -avz /home/ /media/destination
http://linux.fi/wiki/Rsync
http://translate.google.fi/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&prev=_t&hl=fi&ie=UTF-8&u=http://linux.fi/wiki/Rsync
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

cheZ wrote:hi WharfRat ~ thanks very much for taking the time to reply , although ....even though i read your advice / instructions over and over more times than i care to mention , it still has me a bit confused. not being a terminal person so much ( i only enter simple commands / scripts that others understand much better than i ....and i rarely enter very many of them ...only for the occasional install / update etc.. ) , i can't seem to make much sense of your advice , although both tips sound perfect for what i am doing. any possibility that you can elaborate or maybe offer a more detailed step by step on those ? thanks in advance :) all the best ! ~ cheZ
Lets say your files are on a flash drive mounted at /media/flash. Close firefox and in the terminal change to or make sure you're in your home folder

cd ~
Move the .mozilla folder

mv .mozilla .mozilla.save
Now copy your files from the flash drive

cp -a /media/flash/.mozilla .
For the file manager I use the Mate desktop so it's caja

sudo caja&
or you can enter

sudo -i

caja&
That will start the file manager with escalated privileges.

Good luck :wink:
cheZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cheZ »

hi WharfRat & administrollaattori ~ thank you both very much for all that percise info, i sincerely appreciate it :) because both methods were bit beyond my scope of understanding regarding Terminal commands etc... . i ended up sticking with the simplistic method i have used in the past with Mint of simply making a copy of the .mozzila hidden folder ( that resides in Mint's Home folder ) and moving that ( along with all my other standard non-hidden Home Folder contents such as Desktop , Pictures , Documents etc , as one can only move the contents of a Home Folder because the Home Folder itself will not allow itself to moved as a complete stand-alone folder onto an external hard drive ) to an external 500gb USB 3.0 Hard Drive ( that i prepared beforehand by formatting this external Hard Drive in ext4 with the GParted utility ) , and then simply migrating / moving it all onto my new computer with drag and drop off the external hard drive. it worked out fine ( im typing this from the new computer now ) , and this method maintained all my data ( approx. 80gb or so ) ....and once i replaced the default .mozilla folder with my old one ( in the new computer's Home Folder , must allow hidden folders in " view "to see it , then deleting the default .mozilla folder and replacing with the .mozilla folder that i moved over on external HD ) , all was perfect and as it was exactly on my old computer ... all ad-ons / extentions / themes / bookmarks & passwords carried over to the new version Firefox ( version 24 ) and worked perfectly.
on a side note , i actually tried to use a Firefox add-on called FEBE that claims to make a perfect Firefox profile backup ( and could supposedly restore it easily ) , but it was dreadful and did not work at all ( very buggy ) , and i do NOT recommend this FEBE add-on to anyone. however , if one is migrating from one computer to another as i did , and both the old and new computer have an active online connection , there is always the option to simply use Firefox Sync ( in the tools menu in Firefox ) , as that will , from what i have read ( https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... s-with-you ), sync all one's Firefox data ( everything including profile / add-ons / extensions / passwords ) from the home computer onto another computer ( or device like a tablet etc ) that has Firefox installed on it. one must first set up Firefox Sync on the home or base computer to use this " Sync " method. just thought it was worth passing that info along for anyone who may need it. once again , thank you both for all of your kind help , tips & advice. all the best to you both ! :) - cheZ
Last edited by cheZ on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
15.6"1080p FHD
cheZ
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Moving Home Folder to new computer with Mint 15

Post by cheZ »

oh , and a big P.S. ~ if anyone has to install the latest Adobe flash version for Firefox in Mint 15 ( or for an earlier version of Mint ) , here is the simplest method ; simply open Software Manager , then type in flash in the search field , you will see adobe-flashplugin in the search results , highlight & click on it , then click install. this will give your the latest ( and last supported ) Adobe Flash Plug-In player version ( 11.2.202.310 installed ).
you can then test your flash version here ; [url]http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/[/url]
i myself have Mint 15 64bit Cinnamon installed on my computer ( i7 Lenovo y580 ) and this version of Flash works perfectly in Firefox version 24. i am not certain if there is a different flash plug-in version these days for 64bit operating systems / machines , and frankly i do not know if the installer package from Software Manager installed a 32bit or 64bit version on my computer , perhaps someone else would know how to check this , or would know percisely which version gets installed with the Software Manager package. on a side note , do not bother or attempt to install or use the Firefox add-on " Flash-Aid " as it no longer works and is now totally unsupported by it's author ( it hasn't been updated in 2 years ). ~ cheZ
15.6"1080p FHD

Return to “Beginner Questions”