Clueless in Oregon: CLI greenhorn [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Timberbeast
Level 3
Level 3

Clueless in Oregon: CLI greenhorn [SOLVED]

Post by Timberbeast » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Every time I do an update with apt-get, I get this message.
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://packages.linuxmint.com/ olivia/import i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/packages.linuxmint.com_dists_olivia_import_binary-i386_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
Hate to bother you people, but I don't have a clue how to fix this, since I got the message right after an update every time. And another update does jack sh**t. The system is working so well in spite of my stumbling around, I hate to screw it up. Figured I better ask. :?:

thanks
larry
Last edited by Timberbeast on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LM 17.1 Mate. There's no windows in this box. Not any more :D

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Clueless in Oregon: CLI greenhorn

Post by bigj231 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 am

You can ignore that warning. It doesn't do anything.
If it really bugs you, you can check your software sources application and sources.list file for duplicates manually, or try the Y ppa manager: https://launchpad.net/y-ppa-manager The latter option has fixed the same issue for me in the past, as well as solving other issues that I created. It's also pretty easy to figure out and much faster than searching through files.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

Timberbeast
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Timberbeast » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks for your quick response, bigj231. I tried to apt-get get the Y ppa manager: https://launchpad.net/y-ppa-manager that you suggested. It evidently doesn't like me, because I got this response:
larry@oldDell ~ $ sudo apt-get install y-ppa-manager
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
Maybe I have it screwed up more than we thought? As far I know, nothing is using the resource. I do have the machine playing tunes. Could that do it?
Thanks,
larry

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Apt is apparently locked due to another process that didn't complete. Try a reboot, then retry. It should be cleared.
LMDE3 Cindy

Timberbeast
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Timberbeast » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks guys. I was able to download the y-ppa-manager after the reboot, as tdockery97 suggested and ran it. That didn't fix the problem, but since it isn't a real problem, I won't worry about it.

thanks
larry

Return to “Newbie Questions”