Passwords on a live DVD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nuxem

Passwords on a live DVD

Post by nuxem »

While I have security on my mind I will also ask this question.

I have used a mint live DVD for a while now and I have never been asked for a password, I believe that this is normal for a live DVD. I was just wondering if this means that it is more likely to get infected in a live session than with an installed version of mint, (even though the infection should disappear on turn off). I'm assuming that malware can take advantage of the lack of passwords.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Passwords on a live DVD

Post by ninomrki »

I don't think you can infect a live DVD since there is nothing you can actually store on the live DVD itself any more
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Live-DVD are read-only media actually used indeed as secure self-contained environments that cannot be altered.

Some malware might however alter the BIOS or corrupt the HDD but this would be the case from any malevolent software you run on the host by any means.
nuxem

Post by nuxem »

OK, thanks.

But would it be easier for malware to get to the bios as their is no password required.
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

No. OS passwords basically only (try to) protect OS user account contents from prying eyes and integrity of the running OS.

Edit: BTW there is a root password on a live-DVD, even foiled with automatic logon when opening an initial session.
nuxem

Post by nuxem »

Thanks eanfrid.

Return to “Beginner Questions”