Beware of Tutorials.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
beeman
Level 3
Level 3

Beware of Tutorials.

Post by beeman »

Beware of tutorials.
I have just completed an install of Mint 15 using the advice from the Mint main site Tutorial and got in a hell of a mess.
The Tutorial suggests that a software backup would be a good thing, as it would save reloading your software selection. DON"T DO IT. It will add extra software and produce so many errors that it's not funny.
I had at one point 2 'settings' both producing different results, 3 'online accounts' programs, a terminal that failed to work, the list was endless. It took me hours to figure out what went wrong as I was reluctant to do a re-install. I finally gave in and did it without the software backup. Now I have a superb working copy of Mint 15, with no errors.
I would suggest that Tutorial should be removed as it's drastically, and dramatically outdated.

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Beware of Tutorials.

Post by robert-e »

I will not argue that backup before upgrade could be problematic, as I have always done a clean install after saving the files from my /home partition. That said, perhaps using a hard disk backup utility like Clonezilla, might be a better option. That way, if your upgrade goes south, you could restore your cloned image back onto your hard disk and be back where you started...and may be a bit wiser.

In my case, I find a cloned image made about once every couple of months seems to work. I need an 8 gig flash drive for this. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Bob

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I always do a clean install, and only concern myself with my own data: I can save that

Backup or failsafe approach is a mantra that people tend to promote, whether or not it makes much sense in a specific case
--that approach is usually reserved for a case where you might want to back-out from an installation to get to a previous setup; when installing a new OS, this is a waste of time: apart from your own data, usually would be in /home/userID

You can try that approach if you want to avoid having to reinstall an application setup, you have already made, but in that case, you could save your application set and restore them after you finish the normal and simple installation: takeover the hard drive and complete an install of that OS..
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-get-list-installed-software-reinstallation-restore.html
--one way of managing this process, if needed.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

As a counter-example -- as long as Canonical refuses to provide any kind of simple roll-back on an upgrade, spending 5-10 minutes doing a Clonezilla (or, if you want a really friendly GUI -- RedoBackup) image backup can get you a working system back, should the upgrade trash your working system.

KirbySmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by KirbySmith »

Not sure how the tutorial is phrased, but the software backup that Mint encourages is actually creation of a list of software that was added to Mint, not the software itself. This list can be used to reinstall the software in a form compatible with the new Mint version. The process uses the Backup Tool in Menu/Administration.

kirby
Desktop 1: DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-D/AMD Athlon 64 San Diego/BFG GeForce 7800 GT/Mint 18.3 MATE
Desktop 2: Gigabyte 770T-USB3/AMD Phenom II X4 965/EVGA GeForce 9800 GT/Mint 18.3 MATE
HTPC: Asus C6H/AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, Asus Geforce 1080 Ti/Mint 18.3 MATE

beeman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beeman »

The only way to clear this problem would be for another to load as I described and see what happens. I still suggest that the Tutorial "How to upgrade to a newer release (score: 325)" should be removed as it's dangerously out of date for the current updates.

js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Post by js3915 »

One thing i would be nice if linux was abit easier for upgrading from release to release. Rolling distrobutions like arch have advantages and disadvantages. Distros like slack suggest you make a root partition and /usr partition then you simply update the distro all your apps stay supposedly though ive never tried that method.. Ubuntu updates though apt-get but what happens if a fail in the middle like power glitch or internet disruption? Mints way is backup software then install new os then restore from backup

Return to “Newbie Questions”