Lost mintMenu [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Lost mintMenu [SOLVED]

Post by scrognoid » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:33 pm

I think it's mintMenu, the cog icon and "Menu" in the lower left the does everything. I was playing with the panel on the side and suddenly it was gone. I have tried
sudo apt-get --reinstall install mintmenu)
This seemed to restore defaults except for the mintMenu. I tried Add to Panel but it thinks for ~30 seconds the throws and error:
The panel encountered a problem while loading "MintMenuAppletFactory::MintMenuApplet".
I can click Delete or Don't Delete applet. I've tried both to no avail.
I am able to Add to Panel Main Menu so I have some functionality.
Also tried
mate-panel --reset
which also thinks then throws
The panel encountered a problem while loading "MintMenuAppletFactory::MintMenuApplet".
Last edited by scrognoid on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 19.1 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Lost mintMenu

Post by passerby » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Gonna need more details.
What version of mintmenu do/did you have installed?
What version of mate (mate-panel specifically) do you have installed?
What updates, if any, were applied before this happened?
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:52 pm

What version of mintmenu do/did you have installed?
Version: 5.4.9
What version of mate (mate-panel specifically) do you have installed?
Version: 1.6.0-2+raring
What updates, if any, were applied before this happened?
None - "254 recommended updates available"
Linux Mint 19.1 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:17 pm

scrognoid,

The easiest solution might be to create a new user, logout and back in as the new user. If everything looks OK then copy the file .config/dconf/user from the new user account to your original account.

It also might be good idea to save the original .config/dconf/user to .config/dconf/user.bad just in case.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:49 pm

It worked. (Had to restart.)
Thanks.

solarcat
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lost mintMenu [SOLVED]

Post by solarcat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:11 am

Here's a very weird variation on this. MIntMenu vanished from my MATE panel twice in the past two days. When I tried to add it back, I got the same error message mentioned in the OP. The second time it vanished, my login screen also reverted to default Mint, when I had changed it previously.

Now here's the weird part. Simply creating a new user and logging out fixed it in both cases. I did not copy .config/dconf/user from the new user to the original user, or anything of the sort. I did nothing at all except to create a new user and log out. This not only fixed mintMenu but also the changed login screen. Several reboots did not cause it to lose the proper configuration.

Until next time it happens, of course. Or maybe having more than one user defined is the key. The first time I did this I deleted the new user after the panel repaired itself. This time I won't.

This is certainly an odd instability. Glad I found this thread. I was tearing my hair out. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”