BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL poiner deference....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Sydney
Level 3
Level 3

BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL poiner deference....

Post by Sydney »

Hi everybody. I just bought a brand new Thinkpad T430s and am trying to run Linux Mint DE on it, but it keeps crashing. (So far, it's only a "naked" OS that I am playing with). I already tried re-installing MInt but that didn't help. Right before this last crash I plugged an external hard drive into one of the USB-ports. The drive did not start properly, it kept being shut on & off audibly. I unplugged it and connected it to another USB-port, where it ran fine. However, it did not show in "my computer" and before I could unplug it again in order to reconnect, I ended up with a black screen and a long error message (photo below - too long to type out). On the previous occasions, I did not read the actual messages, so I don't know if they were the same. What I'd please need to know is if this is a problem with the USB-port in which case I'd send the notebook straight back for an exchange or if this is an OS problem. I tried looking it up online and it seems like an OS problem ?? On the other hand, I have heard that people use this setup (T430s with Mint DE) without any problems whatsoever. (Irony: changing over from Win as wanting a more stable & reliable system, and I can't even get it up and running ?).
Thanks very much for your help and I do hope that the photo is readable.
Sydney

Oh boy, photo file too large, site won't upload it.
If anybody has any brilliant ideas as to how to upload this, please let me know (other than typing the whole message out), thx. The message has a ton of numbers, it starts with "BUG: kernel unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 00000024". Towards the bottom it says something about hub events, ret_from_kernel_thread and kthread_create_on_node+[more numbers]". Not sure if these parts are relevant ?
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL poiner deference....

Post by passerby »

You could upload the image to a third-party site (eg. imageshack) and link to it here.

Which version of Linux Mint did you install? Have you tried any other versions?
Kernel bugs in one version (eg. in Mint 13) may be fixed in later versions (eg. Mint 15).

Either way, I really think kernel bugs are out of the scope of the "newbie questions" board.
You may get more responses in another section.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
Sydney
Level 3
Level 3

Re: BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL poiner deference....

Post by Sydney »

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I posted the question in the Software - forum as you suggested and hope that that's the right one.
I also found a way to reduce the file-size of that photo, so it's online now.
I am trying to run the Mint version that is currently available on the download-site, which is Olivia.

Return to “Newbie Questions”