Screen resolution before I log in

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Astronaut

Screen resolution before I log in

Post by Astronaut »

Any ideas how I can control the screen resolution before I log in - ie. on the MDM login panel?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Astronaut

Re: Screen resolution before I log in

Post by Astronaut »

Come to think of it, I don't think I have a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Would creating one resolve my problem?
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Post by manyroads »

I'm guessing no one (me included) understands what it is you want you do...
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
Astronaut

Post by Astronaut »

I installed Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon on my 5 year old Dell laptop and also went for the recommended Nvidia drivers since Noveau didn't work at all well. I like to use my laptop with an external monitor and with the laptop lid shut. Unfortunately, I am unable to get the MDM greeter screen to display on the external monitor - it only appears on the laptop screen even if the lid is closed. However, after I login, the Nvidia driver is successfully configured to only use the external monitor and switch off the laptop screen. How can I get the "external monitor on - laptop screen off" mode before I login?

Things I have considered:
* modifying the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, but I'm unsure what to change and the file seems to be missing from my installation anyway. The Nvidia config tool offers to create one for me, but how does it work without one?
* enabling root login, logging in as root and configuring the Nvidia driver there as well. This assumes the MDM greeter screen is effectively logged in as root but no one can confirm that for me.

Unfortunately, it seems no one is able to advise whether either of these might work. I was hoping someone with some deeper inside knowledge would be able to advise me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”