Xauthorization and/or Loss of sudo Permissions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
winterfresh
Level 1
Level 1

Xauthorization and/or Loss of sudo Permissions

Post by winterfresh »

I've been getting strange user permission errors...

E.g., my MintUpdate icon is shown unlocked and when I try to open MintUpdate, I get this error:
Failed to run /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py 'show' '6813' as user root.

Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file.

Does anyone know what that means???

Also, yesterday I opened the "User and Groups" config GUI and I was unable to select "Unlock"... it was grayed out as if I didn't have permissions to sudo... I'm losing permissions- what's happening? :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
winterfresh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Xauthorization and/or Loss of sudo Permissions

Post by winterfresh »

No, sudo from a terminal works fine.

Well, I booted up the pc today and I received some sort of a GUI error in a pop-up window when after logging in... unfortunately I didn't write it down. I'm assuming it's from the GUI error, but the MintUpdate icon didn't even show up and then I noticed that none of my favorite programs were listed in the "Start Menu" (what do you call that in Mint?). Also in Firefox I couldn't use the built-in search box or back/forward buttons.

I have a feeling something's terminally screwed up. Since installing about a month ago, some of the things I've done:
-Rearranged/renumbered some of my partitions w/ gparted
-Used VirtualBox a lot (had to make changes to enable usbfs)
-I'm down to about 4GB left on my partition (using 1 partition for root & home)

I also get a lot of text messages when I shut down the OS... something about bus connection failures (the text disappears so quick).

Honestly, I'm attempting to switch from Windows because I hate having to reinstall the system for best performance, but I'm getting the feeling I'm gonna have to reinstall Mint. :( That's what happens when a noob tries to be a power user... but, only one way to really learn I guess.
winterfresh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Xauthorization and/or Loss of sudo Permissions

Post by winterfresh »

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, what I first thought was a singular issue has mushroomed... time for a reinstall.

Return to “Beginner Questions”