Maybe Infected

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
everready
Level 3
Level 3

Maybe Infected

Post by everready » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 pm

O.k. here's what i have: This machine runs Windows XP and Linux from a flash drive, normaly i use Sandboxie Security essentials and private firewall for protection, but day before yesterday i left safe harbor without Sandboxie, now i can't boot back into Windows, I'm assuming its an infection I'd have a better idea if i could get back in.. Has this happened to anyone else, and if it has, did you find a way to get back? :?

Thanks guys..
everready

I put this here because I'm not a guru not even close.. :oops:

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Maybe Infected

Post by passerby » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:32 pm

What actually happens when you attempt to boot into Windows?
Do you get to the XP splash screen? Does it display any error messages whatsoever?
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

everready
Level 3
Level 3

Post by everready » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 pm

I have an ASUS motherboard, just istalled a couple months ago so I'm not real familiar with it. When this started i was having a problem with my email, i was getting a message that Windows mail was unavailable so i kept trying, all to no avail. Then i tried system restore because I've had good experiences using it, tried that several times to no avail, wouldn't restore to any date. Then i saw a setting on the motherboard that reads reset optimum defaults, a friend told me that would set everything to default, that's when things really went south, a flash on the screen and then nothing. Somehow after trying various combinations on the keyboard i was able to get to the boot screen, the only drive it will boot to is my flash drive.. I can get the safe mode screen but again it won't go into safe mode

Hope that's enough info..
everready

everready
Level 3
Level 3

Post by everready » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:30 am

Maybe that was too much information, this happened before when i used Windows exclusively, using Linux you get used to the idea of no virus infections so i dropped my guard.. Oops'! If i could just get into safe mode i might be able to sneak up on it, and avoid having to do a fresh install.. I'm dreaming right.. :lol:

everready

everready
Level 3
Level 3

Post by everready » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 am

This may be what I'm looking for its called "Tool To Create a Windows USB install stick from Linux" at least it sounds pretty close.. I'll have a look see and if it works I'll try to keep you posted..

A while back we wrote about creating a bootable windows 7 USB drive from Linux using Unetbootin, but newer Unetbootin versions can't do this anymore (you can still use an older version though) and you have to manually format the USB drive to NTFS, which may look a bit complicated for some users. But thanks to WinUSB, this process is now a lot easier!

http://www.iasptk.com/ubuntu-ppa-repositories/12862-tool-to-create-windows-usb-install-stick-from-linux-winusb

everready

Return to “Newbie Questions”