Automatically open .deb when downloading

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
thomas.raines
Level 1
Level 1

Automatically open .deb when downloading

Post by thomas.raines »

When I download a .deb package, I ge the pop up asking me what I want to do, open with or save. I would like to just have it open with Gdebi Package Installer, so I clicked on "browse" button, but I have no idea where it is located. When I right click on a .deb after I have saved it, it is already associated with Gdebi. How can I tell the downloader to open a .deb with Gdebi?

Thanks to Karl, post #2, I was able to accomplish this. Now when I download a .deb file, it is automatically opened in the Package Installer GUI.
Here's how:
In terminal:

Code: Select all

which gdeb
It gave me the output of:

/usr/bin/gdebi
I then found a .deb that I would like to download. When the prompt appeared to ask me what I wanted to do, I choose "Open with" and clicked the "Browse" button.
I navigate to /usr/bin and found 2 different gdebi binaries (non-GUI and GUI) . I selected the GUI

gdebi-gtk
This opens the .deb file in the Package Installer GUI, where you can now install your .deb.

**Note
I also cheched the "Do this automatically for file like this from now on" so I don't have to keep browsing for it.
The file will automatically download to the temp folder, and run as it should.

Thanks again Karl!
Last edited by thomas.raines on Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Automatically open .deb when downloading

Post by karlchen »

Hello, thomas.raines.

The answer to this question on the location of gdebi can be got easily:
so I clicked on "browse" button, but I have no idea where it is located.
Open a terminal window and execute the command

which gdebi
Voilà, question answered. By the way, it is the same folder where most user commands can be found.

On this statement:
When I right click on a .deb after I have saved it, it is already associated with Gdebi.
This association is valid inside your filemanager. But it is not valid inside your internet browser, too. Would be a bad idea if all the existing mime typ associations which your filemanager knows and uses for local files were used in the same way by your browser, too, because it would open a whole bunch of new security risks. Therefore your browser has got a different set of rules how it handles different file types.
This means you will have to tell your browser to open .deb files received from the internet in gdebi automatically.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Return to “Newbie Questions”