tracking cookies and cross-platform (browser) malware

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sydney

Re: tracking cookies and cross-platform (browser) malware

Post by Sydney »

As I said: "I really do not want to get into a privacy debate here." I asked a simple question with regards to scanners that can detect malware/spyware/tracking cookies. Every Windows user has at least one of them (or one / more of their counterparts). A privacy discussion misses the point.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Sydney wrote:As I said: "I really do not want to get into a privacy debate here." I asked a simple question with regards to scanners that can detect malware/spyware/tracking cookies. Every Windows user has at least one of them (or one / more of their counterparts). A privacy discussion misses the point.
Okay, little update, most (if not all) malware/spyware/tracking stuff only works on Windows systems. Why? Due to the much better rights management system of Linux. Due to the fact that most folders are not accessible for regular users but for root only. Die to the fact that Linux has am architecture that differs a lot from the Windows architecture. Due to the fact that Windows software doesn't run on Linux systems (yes, i know you have Wine, but i refer to Linux without Wine). There's nothing to worry about.

Only root can install applications under Linux. Only root has access to all folders and files. And knowing that every Linux users has a different password and knowing that a malicious application needs root access to install itself, it first must find out what the password is of the (first) user. And that's difficult without root access.....
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

@nomko: however, many things regarding privacy concerns, identity theft, browser hijacking, clickjacking, phishing/pharming sites and some other common web threats like CSRF and XSS are not related to the OS. These threats depend on the weaknesses of the browser you use and on the behaviour - cautious or not, mindful or not - of the mouse user...
nomko

Post by nomko »

eanfrid wrote:@nomko: however, many things regarding privacy concerns, identity theft, browser hijacking, clickjacking, phishing/pharming sites and some other common web threats like CSRF and XSS are not related to the OS. These threats depend on the weaknesses of the browser you use and on the behaviour - cautious or not, mindful or not - of the mouse user...
True! So, best advice then is not using the internet. Using the internet is like playing with the devil. You don't want to be exposed to any kind of online threads, stop using the internet... Easy as it is! :mrgreen:
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

The WWW is not the Internet ;)
Sydney

Post by Sydney »

@nomko: which is exactly why I asked about cross-platform issues (see header)
My first two sentences in this thread were:
"Hi, I'd like to know how to go about spyware / malware such as tracking cookies, cross-platform malware (Flash etc) and browser vulnerabilities in Linux, please ?
(Yes, I have read "Questions about Defragging or Antivirus ? Look here first" including all comments, but I am not inquiring about classic Windows-viruses)."

@eanfrid: thanks so much for coming to my rescue :-). It seems that I am not able to make myself understood :-(
nomko

Post by nomko »

Sydney wrote:Flash and browser vulnerabilities in Linux
Yes, you have the same risk with Flash and browser vulnerabilities under Linux as under Windows. That's true. When there's a leak in Flash, bad people can exploit them. Same for browser vulnerabilities.

But i won't be that concerned about it. I never came across posts or stories of Linux users who's system was hijacked.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

nomko wrote:...But i won't be that concerned about it. I never came across posts or stories of Linux users who's system was hijacked.
Here's an example from this forum about 3 months ago >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=143453
<note: the author of the 8th post in the thread! :mrgreen: >

Although I do agree that this kind of thing is not common. I think this example is the only one that I remember seeing as long has I have been running Mint (about 4 years).
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”