Cant even Start with Linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Cant even Start with Linux

Post by JayBee »

I am very new to Linux – so new in fact I cant even get off the starting blocks!
I downloaded the file:
linuxmint-15-mate-dvd-32bit.iso
……….and burnt it to a DVD. Then Ioaded it into my laptop and it ran on boot up and the “Linux Mint” window appeared and said it would ‘automatically boot in 10 seconds’ and counted down to zero but then nothing but the Linux Mint words stayed on the screen. No activity.
I burn a 2nd DVD and the same thing happened so why will it not progress further? What to do next?

The Laptop is an Acer with:

Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium M 755
Dothan 90nm Technology
RAM
2.00 GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x800@60Hz)
128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700 (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
Hard Drives
78GB IC25N080ATMR04-0 (PATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-825S
Audio
Realtek AC'97 Audio

Thanks in anticipation of a result.

JB :(

linbig
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cant even Start with Linux

Post by linbig »

Hi and welcome to the world of Linux.
Did you check the md5sum of the download ? In M$ you need something like this [url]http://www.winmd5.com/[/url]. In linux open the terminal and type

Code: Select all

md5sum path to your download filename
It should match EXACTLY with this 4b5ff169b019889aedf1d054b2d97447 . If it doesn't try d/loading again .
If it does match try burning at a lower speed (I always use 2x for isos on dvd and 4x for isos on cd) .
If still no joy come back and we will see what else we can do.

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

Many thanks for the information - I saw this software but the way it was explained in another article seemed to suggest I needed to have linux to start with so didnt go further. As it appears that I can use it with MS to check, I will do this and come back with the results.

JB

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

OK – I checked the Mint download with winmd5free and indead got 4b5ff169b019889aedf1d054b2d97447 so obviously its ok and then II checked the CD in my XP drive thinking I would only see a .ISO file but it has these listed below.
.disk
boot
casper
install
isolinux
preseed
autorun.inf
md5sum.txt
MD5SUMS
Mint4Win.exe

I used the CDBurnerXP to burn the ISO file. Am I right in thinking that it has extracted the files, so they are not bootable?
I have never had the need to make an ISO DVD but I did things just as the instructions said. Clearly I cant use the winmd5 tool on the disk burnt?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

JayBee,

Upon starting the live dvd, press the space bar when the countdown begins, then hit the tab key and a line will show. Hit the backspace key twice then add debug=* to the end of the line and press enter to start the boot process.

When it stops note the last couple of lines displayed on the screen to get an idea of where it's stopping. Remember booting a dvd is slow so give it a couple of minutes.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

Thank you for your support.

As Linux is new to me, I have no idea what keys do anything so I was ecstatic when the ‘Space-bar’ suddenly showed the menu during count down.

I naturally tried to get it to run on “Start Linux Mint” which it failed to do.

I then tried “Start in Compatibility Mode”…………deep joy!............ it seemed to start and run through something……..finishing with the line
“Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate to your CPU”.

I did pictures of process attached

So I am completely baffled – where do I go from here?
Attachments
Pics of process
Pics of process

Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit »

Are you sure that you downloaded the 32 bit version of mint?

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

Yes absolutely positive that it was the 32-bit version.

Zalbor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Zalbor »

You need a CPU that supports PAE, I don't think Pentium M does. I could be wrong though.

EDIT: You could try installing version 13. I think it doesn't need PAE and is supported for longer than 15. The drawback is that you won't have all the newest versions of programs.

EDIT, again: If I'm reading [url=http://ark.intel.com/products/27594/]this page[/url] correctly, your processor does have PAE. So the problem must be something else...

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

I have found a few posts on Internet that referred to the Pentium M and it not reporting or supporting PAE.
Unless someone else knows otherwise I will see if downloading version 13 of Linux Mint has any better success.
If it goes in ok,maybe there is room to migrate as an upgrade from 13 to the present version without doing a full installation.
I will give version 13 a try .

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

Well this has been a rollercoaster ride.
I downloaded the Maya version 13, burned and ISO disk and checked the signature = all correct!
I then booted up using the disk and amazingly the cogs started to turn!
I was given the opportunity of installing side-by-side which I took and everything seemed to go exceedingly well. I even got the slide screen tutorials. Eventually I was given the opportunity of continuing with Linux or rebooting – I decided to reboot but then I was faced with a black screen.

After waiting about five minutes with no indication of CPU activity I decided to do a hard shutdown as normal shutdown button was inactive.
I rebooted and was given the choice as you will see in the picture below
I decided to choose Linux and it burst into life which was short lived because I was then presented with “Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed”

I do not know of a way past this point to get in to reboot of its own accord.
I tried the spacebar and back space without success. So I rebooted by forcing a shutdown and then rebooting – went through the same procedure and again came up with the same screen.

I have looked at the partitions using Windows Partition Magic - it looks to be a mess and I think I am going to have delete them all, consolidate with only the Main ‘Windows’ Drive C: and reinput Linux Maya.

What do you think ? Sorry the Pics are un the wrong order.
Attachments
Partitions..jpg
bootup screen-Maya.jpg
errorDisplay-Maya.jpg

linbig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linbig »

From a personal point of veiw I would indeed let Mint use all of your hdd or format it thus :- 4Gb swap ; 10Gb / or root (system files) and the rest as your home partition. You can obviously play with the size of these to your hearts content but I don't think you would need any more swap than that.
Of course only do this if you want to be totally rid of XP.
State the obvious here....... but don't forget to put any files you want to keep onto some other media !!!!

P.S It's a great learning curve isn't it ?

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

JayBee,

A shot of gparted output might be better. With the live dvd booted and running open the terminal and:

sudo -i

gparted&
If you can manage to take the screen shot with print screen and save it you can attach it to the to the reply with Upload attachment. In any event lets get the order straight :lol:

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jjaythomas »

You need a CPU that supports PAE, I don't think Pentium M does. I could be wrong though.
Yes some M series will not run a PAE kernel. Some thou only won't install but will run from a cloned partition (clonezilla) that acually has a PAE kernal. (I have a M based based (ancient) tablet that will run from a clone But won't install from a live CD/DVD with a PAE kernal. :o So I make a small USB will clonzilla on another PC then use clonezilla to burn on it to a ready partition.

Another option is to try LMDE its 32bit version is non PAE (in witch needed can install PAE later), or try another linux distro, most debian based are non PAE if 32 bit. Ubuntu and derivitives (including Mint's other then the LMDE one) went to a PAE only kernal a few versions back. :wink:

J.Jay
EDIT LMint 13 was the last non PAE kernal version I think
2nd Edit (sorry) that graphix card won't run a cinamon DE( Ibelieve) so make sure try a Mate/XFCE/LXDE version13 or lower) or the LMDE mate variation :idea:

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

Hi All

I have got the computer down to 2 partitions now.
One has Win XP Pro on and the other Reformatted.
I then re-ran the CD Maya Mint v13. It appeared to work ok until re-boot. I see that the ‘splash’ screen is supposed to be BLACK at one point from the PDF notes – (who’s bright idea that is I don’t know) but from my point of view I can tell is the computer is idling/dead or on a black splash screen………..So after 5 mins I was left with hard booting it again. Dual boot screen came up but it still ends in tears = ‘Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed’.

I had booted and used ‘recovery mode’ and it moves on …………
Then the screen came up with ‘Recovery Menu’ so I opted for ‘Repair Broken Packages’ ………this eventually got Mint launched. However it will not boot normally. Attached pic sequence of what I did.

Tomorrow I will do what WharfRat suggested but the problem I have is that ALL this is new ground to me and I am having to look things up as everything is new to me. As an alternative to XP its not looking very user friendly.

I appreciate the help you guys have given so far.

JB
Attachments
repair.jpg

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

Food for thought J.Jay.

I will look into your suggestions – as I said before even the terminology is new to me so I have to look up everything you guys say. I know for a fact that the boot options don’t include USB so its CD or hard-drive.

On the face of it I would have thought that Linux people would have gone down the road of encouragement by including all PC’s as opposed alienating them with this ‘PAE kernel issue’ and graphics cards.

I was looking for a platform for using a virtual XP system without the hassle of Windows hang-ups. Becuse I use programs that have been built for that system, eg. Actinic Catalogue, MS Publisher etc.

Maybe there should be an incompatibility list, so as not to bother with Linux if their computer is not up to it. Hmm.

Thanks JB.

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

UPDATE:
I am sad to say that the Linux Program will not boot now when using the 'safe mode' method of boot up.
Obviously the 'fix' by using the 'Repair Broken Packages’ has now BROKEN it big time.
I will just have to reformat the partition and try WharfRat suggestions that way.

eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

Are you sure that your good old HDD is really healthy ?
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox

linbig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linbig »

Can I suggest that you download "Puppy Linux". The lastest version is here [url]http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/quirky/precise-5.7.1/precise-5.7.1-retro.iso[/url] and try installing it to your linux partition . The universal installer is in the 'set up' sub menu .
If "Puppy" can't boot your computer, I to, think the hdd may be on the blink.
I have used Puppy on many machines before without any trouble and indeed still run it on an ageing laptop of circa 2000 vintage.
The link to the Puppy forum is here [url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy[/url] if you need help.
Cheers and good luck !

JayBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JayBee »

OK, I have tried to make Linux Mint work but it is clear that it will not with this Pentium 4 laptop. I reformatted the partition and use Windows scan disk on it and Patition Magic, there are no reported problems. There never was an issue before any way. So unfortunately friends I think that I will have to pass on Linux Mint and move on to another system.

Maybe if I explain where I am coming from, you may just be able to send me in the right direction. As for my computers (1 emachine, 1 Acer, 2 HP), they are running XP Pro so I am looking for a replacement without the heartache of Windows. I also run a MacBook Pro.

I came across RoboLinux with its declaration that it can run windows within Linux. Great! The UTube video is convincing and with what little I know about Linux I drew the conclusion that it should be possible to run a Vitual Windows within the bounds of most Linux programs, like Linux Mint. That’s why I started with Linux Mint. 2 people I know sent emails to RoboLinux and didnt get a resonse so I am very unsure about that company.

Now if I have to move on, there is a lists of possible Linux candidates which are:

• Ultimate Edition
• Lubuntu
• Zorin 7
• PinguOS
• Ubuntu
• PCLinuxOS

Maybe this might go against the grain with you guys that are devoted to Linux Mint but sadly as friendly as you guys are I have to move on and find something that I can put on all my machines for consistency. Yes I can’t live without some of the Windows programs which I use daily – sorry about that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help JB

Return to “Newbie Questions”