possible to mine bitcoins on linux ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

possible to mine bitcoins on linux ?

Post by gatorade »

anyone mining bitcoin on a linux system?

If so , what's your experience with it?
any drawbacks, security issues , or any other setbacks ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
snafu006

Re: possible to mine bitcoins on linux ?

Post by snafu006 »

You can mine bitcoins on linux and there are a few programs out there. Like bitcoin qt wallet to stor your coins.

For miners there is a few out there deepbit.net as a few linux mining programs listed of there site. You would want the right miner for your video card.

But you need to have a really good system to mine bitcoins. To mine the best you need some darm good video cards. Because you are using the video card to mine you will be using up a lot or electricity and your utitly bill will go up.

Also it could just be a wast of time because you are mining blocks and depending on hash rate the more you earn.

From low to High.
Khash, Mhash and Ghash. If you are mining at khash you will be waiting a year to make one cent.

Mhash you are doing better join a mining pool, you will make a little extra.

Ghash you should stay in the pool till you are mining at the 50 or above.

There are cpu mining software too but thats a wast of time too slow.

Gl

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
deathxxx

Post by deathxxx »

Also mining with Linux Mint is rock stable!
Mining bitcoins with videocards are not worth.
You will pay more for electricyti and will get less from mining.
With videocard you can mine litecoins, witch will make 900% more money.
Best cards is amd 7950/7970/7990, amd r270, r280, r290 series.
Or you need at least 5850/5870 series if you want to get someting from mining.
snafu006

Post by snafu006 »

deathxxx wrote:Also mining with Linux Mint is rock stable!
Mining bitcoins with videocards are not worth.
You will pay more for electricyti and will get less from mining.
With videocard you can mine litecoins, witch will make 900% more money.
Best cards is amd 7950/7970/7990, amd r270, r280, r290 series.
Or you need at least 5850/5870 series if you want to get someting from mining.
Ok so Nvidia video cards kinda sucks for mining i did not know that. I have a GTX660 and my MHash rate is like 30 to 35. But I just read ATi i better and for a 7950 vs 660 then ATi wins people getting like 400+ Mhash's and the price is the same huh. But still you need to get above 50 Ghash just to really break even.

Also found the for tom'shardware guid http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-12.html
deathxxx

Post by deathxxx »

Yes, nvidia have like 5-10 times less hashes compared to same price cards from AMD.
Mining uses OpenCL, but nvidia have Cuda. But anyway soon only profitable mining will be with ASIC's or FPGA's, or any specialized hardware for mining only.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

thanks for the feedback guys.

it sounds like , from what I've been reading , it's pretty hard to mine and be profitable. I wanted to try it , but I don't know enough about it to go out and build a computer specifically for this purpose. And , from what I can gather , that looks like the only way to do it and make it worthwhile is to have dedicated computer just for this. I was initially under the impression that I could set up my laptop and leave it on 24/7 and it could work. Some of the videos on youtube make it sound so simple.

I was watching a youtube video , and some guys set up this [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J6Z4aax_Dg[/url]
has anyone here set up something like this? how much would it cost initially to purchase these block erupters things?

I was also wondering how you use the bitcoins for paying for stuff. How does it work when you buy something that's worht , like $10 USD, how do you pay a fraction of a coin?
Do you just calculate the going exchange rate for that day and pay a fraction of a bitcoin?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

I was just watching some tutorial videos , and the comments posted were saying that none of these setups the guys were using would even allow them to break even on their investment. The commenters mentioned cloud mining would be much more profitable. Any thoughts on that?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
deathxxx

Post by deathxxx »

This eurupeurs is so slow, and dificulty for mining is so fast, so you will never back investiments.
Get one mobo with more PCI-E slots and buy AMD R9 270/280 cards, get Lowest price CPU, 1-2gigs RAM, one supply 1000W+ better if it's gold or platinium.
Or, just buy one ASIC from there: http://www.butterflylabs.com/

You can pay for a lot things with bitcoins. I never payed with coins.
There is excange rate of all cryptocoins:
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

wow, I didn't know there were so many different ones. So what's the difference in those coins?
Is Bitcoin the most valuable?
I was just thinking about those Bitcoin ATM's , how would you know if they counterfeited the coins?
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3
deathxxx

Post by deathxxx »

For mining with GPU's now, best method is to mine litecoins(LTC, FTC, NVC and so on...).
And yes, bitcoin for now is most valuable coin. But time can make differens.
Bitcoin was pretty cheap at beginig, so other coins can do that too, but no one cnow when or, if.
gatorade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gatorade »

you seem like you've been doing this for for a while , and it looks like you're pretty knowlegdeable on the subject. I've just got a few more questions , if you don't mind.

1. are those other currencies widely accepted ?
2.is bit coin more valuable just because they're the first one's out?
3.is it possible to mine , litecoin , for example and convert them to bitcoin?
4. how do you go about exchanging bitcoin into US dollars, or euros?

I'm just trying to weigh the pros/cons of making the initial investment. From what I've been reading , and how long it would take to acquire even one bitcoin , seems like it would be easier to make money as a bitcoin speculator that to actually mine the coins. The other option , as you mentioned , is to mine a different type of crypto currency, and hope that it goes up in value.
Asus N82JQ
Mint 17.3

Return to “Beginner Questions”