Security Concerns [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
craig100
Level 2
Level 2

Security Concerns [Solved]

Post by craig100 »

I've been using Mint for about 3 years now and love it. However, I've just read this article which has seriously wobbled me as I use Mint for business, not fun.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/canonical-dev-dont-use-linux-mint-online-banking-unsecure

Could someone please comment to either put our minds at rest or say if something is being done about it.

Many thanks,

Craig
Last edited by craig100 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Security Concerns

Post by shawnhcorey »

Enter this command in a terminal:

Code: Select all

grep -i secur /etc/apt/sources.list
If one or more lines are printed, you have security.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Epicurean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Epicurean »

I think this topic is relevant: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=148021&start=20
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Good Grief.

Mint tries to present to the user a stable and predictable desktop experience. As such and by default it disables kernel ( unless they are really serious ) and xorg updates from MintUpdate. For those of us who have used Ubuntu for any length of time can attest these will eventually ( not always ) result in a reboot to a black screen with white letters or something else that doesn't work.

But looks folks you have the ability to override this default action by enabling Level 4 and 5 updates in MintUpdate.

Think of it as the converse of how Unity on Ubuntu handles your attempt to find something in Dash and you ending up with a listing of things from Amazon. That happens by default but you can now turn it off.

If the end user is going to take umbrage at something it should be Ubuntu's questionable definition of "support" in "Long Term Support".
Last edited by altair4 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Sounds like Ubuntu FUD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt) to me... They have to do something considering the a$$-whooping Mint is administering to them... :mrgreen: Lately, there are as many Ubuntu refugees around here as Wondoze refugees! :lol:
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Re: Linux Mint Is a Vulnerable System ..

Unread postby xenopeek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:39 am
Full response by Clem to this controversy here: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/11/answering-controversy-stability-vs-security-is-something-you-configure/
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Reorx wrote:Sounds like Ubuntu FUD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt) to me... They have to do something considering the a$$-whooping Mint is administering to them... :mrgreen: Lately, there are as many Ubuntu refugees around here as Wondoze refugees! :lol:
Unity makes a wonder .. :lol:
clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Security Concerns [Solved]

Post by clfarron4 »

For those who've never experienced Ubuntu and Linux Mint installations breaking after a kernel upgrade (a minor version upgrade), the whole of issues seems like nothing. I remember back when Ubuntu used the 2.6.2x to 2.6.3x series and I had kernel upgrades which broke the system every other upgrade.

You might think this is extreme, but some people still have this problem with the current kernels.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

Return to “Newbie Questions”