Thinking of trying Linux. I have a few questions..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SolidHollow

Thinking of trying Linux. I have a few questions..

Post by SolidHollow »

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and new to Linux for that matter.

I was recently given an old Emachines W3503 Desktop that was running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. The computer did not come with the operating system disc so I attempted to reformat the computer without the disc. The computer rebooted and is now giving this error, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll."

Sooooo instead of spending 100$ on an outdated windows OS disk, I am thinking of trying Linux out since it is free. After all this computer was free so I might as well try something new. Who knows i might like Linux better than Windows?

My questions are: 1. Will the fact that I cannot access my Windows Operating system due to the corrupted file inhibit me from installing Linux Mint?
2. What is the easiest route to install Linux Mint? via USB or burning a DVD? (I will need help doing the USB route if so.)
3. Is Linux Mint compatible with my computer? Specs can be found here; http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-w3503/4505-3118_7-32178774.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Thinking of trying Linux. I have a few questions..

Post by Bolle1961 »

1 you can install Linux Mint

2 most important question is, is your computer capable to boot from USB, if not use a DVD

3 if you have still 512 MB you should use Linux Mint Xfce 13 or wait for 16 or 17 ( 15 is only supported until januari 2014 )
Last edited by Bolle1961 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

Can you give me a link to the download for that version?
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Linux Mint 13 Xfce http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=113

all downloads http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

Thank you very much. Ill post later if it worked or not. I really appreciate the help. I had burned a copy of Linux 15 and it booted up fine, However I didn't do the install in light or your suggestion. I'm waiting about 20 minutes til Linux 13 is done downloading. Thanks again! 8)
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

The disc booted fine, but I am running into a bump in the road. Hooking this old PC up to the internet is not an option right now. The installer suggest that it be online. Will this have a huge negative effect on the install or can I download possible updates later?
av8r0023

Post by av8r0023 »

SolidHollow: it will not have a huge negative effect. Updates can easily be downloaded later.
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

Thanks for the reply. There seems to be a big learning curve with this new operating system. Can anyone help me install my cisco WiFi USB device? I plugged it in and I get nothing at all. Model is AE1200 Cisco USB device. Please leave detailed responses because I am completely ignorant of anything to do with Linux. Bear in mind I am not more then an hour or so into messing with it.
av8r0023

Post by av8r0023 »

Open up a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+T and type

Code: Select all

lsusb
. Please post your results.
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

alright give me a sec I need to find a method to post the results off of the PC running linux as it does not have internet
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Solidhollow/media/_DSC0028_zps7a8924ad.jpg.html

I'm trying to get this image to work here. Give me one sec to fiddle with it.
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

Does the link work? I'm going to have to work with pictures here since the PC running Linux is offline. I would post directly but the images are to large, and it would take longer to edit them as I go. That's the best I can do for now, but let me know what I need to do next....
av8r0023

Post by av8r0023 »

I don't see the USB driver listed. Plug it in and try the command again. Is it a BCM43235?
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

Sorry lol I had taken the USB device out when I had ran the lsusb. Your spot on tho, that this the numbers listed for the Cisco device.
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Solidhollow/media/_DSC0029_zpsd995113e.jpg.html
av8r0023

Post by av8r0023 »

Bad news. Cisco does not support Linux on that device.

However, you may be able to run a windows driver using an application called ndiswrapper. In order to do this, you must be connected to the internet to install a few software "packages" (applications) and download the driver. Hopefully the irony is not lost on you. Do you have an ethernet cable you can plug in to your computer to connect it temporarily to the internet?

If so run this command in the terminal (which will prompt you for your password):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-dkms ndisgtk
Next download the Win XP version of the driver here:
http://support.linksys.com/en-us/support/adapters/AE1200

Next find the file, right click on it and choose "extract here." Inside should be a folder named XP. Inside this folder is your bcmwlhigh5.inf driver file.

Next open up "windows wireless drivers" using the main menu. Enter your password. Choose install new driver option. Click on choose location. Find your INF file. It should be under (File System) -> home -> (your username) -> Downloads (or whatever folder you put it in). Then choose install. Let me know if this works.
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

Let me see if it will reach the PC. I hope so. In the mine time i had did a little internet search on the issue. Let me know what you think about this article? Does it suggests that the link you gave me to the drivers wont work?

For some reason, the Win XP driver on the installation CD would not work. None of the other broadcom chipset drivers that I attempted worked for me either.
The solution

So, a search of here and Ubuntuforums yielded this link: http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_AE1200 and provided this repaired version of the xp driver: http://wikidevi.com/files/Drivers/Broadcom/bcmwl_4323x.zip.

Download the bcmwl_4323x.zip and extract (for my example to follow, my downloads directory)
I opened a Terminal window:
cd /Downloads/bcmwl_4323x/xp/
:~/Downloads/bcmwl_4323x/xp$ sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwlhigh5.inf
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper -l yielded:

bcmwlhigh5 : driver installed
device (13B1:0039) present

Exit Terminal window, unplug LAN cable, System Restart.
(Optional) If the USB Wireless card does not work after reboot, you may need to add ndiswrapper to your /etc/modules so that it loads ndiswrapper at startup.
You should be able to test if this is needed if upon boot, the LED on your wireless card is not lit. You run in terminal sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper | sudo modprobe ndiswrapper and then the LED turns on.
av8r0023

Post by av8r0023 »

Also, I forgot to mention that Linux Mint has a built-in utility called Driver Manager that allows you to enable proprietary drivers for your system. It may require a temporary internet connection via ethernet to download and install the drivers for you. I've never tried using this for a USB wireless card though. In my limited knowledge, PCI and built-in wireless cards have a much better success rate at working out-of-the-box than USB wireless cards.

Try various Google searches. If you get quickly overwhelmed, you can always try the Linux Mint help chatroom, available by simply opening up the Xchat application (the default chat room will be #linuxmint-help). Make sure you mention that you are a noob so they don't give you a whole bunch of instructions you don't understand.
SolidHollow

Post by SolidHollow »

Than LAN line doesn't reach. Can I download the program and swap it to the other PC using a USB?
av8r0023

Post by av8r0023 »

Try the "stock" driver I listed. If it doesn't work, then try the alternate/modified driver. If that doesn't work, report back here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”