dual boot linux and xp with linix mint o separte hard drives

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
derekdgl
Level 1
Level 1

dual boot linux and xp with linix mint o separte hard drives

Post by derekdgl »

Hi i have decided not to give up on this but i want to dual boot xp and linux
I have xp installed on primary hard drive(sata)
I have installed linux mint on separate second hard drive(sata)

I have tried easybcd on xp but it will not run or i could not get it to run

Is there a simple solution for a newbie to linux solve this problem beside selecting os in bios on startup

I have installed Linux mint with the primary hared drive disconnected,installed no problem

connected primary drive selected Linux in bios and at the terminal ran the command "sudo update grub"

dual boot does not load up only xp as normal

any suggestions welcome

monkey1911
Level 1
Level 1

Re: dual boot linux and xp with linix mint o separte hard dr

Post by monkey1911 »

I'm running a similar set up, Win7 on sda1 and Mint 16RC on sdd1. The GRUB boot loader needs to be installed in the MBR of your Primary boot hard drive. By installing Mint with your Primary drive removed, GRUB was installed to your 2nd drives MBR.

easyBCD is a Vista or newer thing, so it won't run on XP, There may be a way to get GRUB installed properly from inside of your current set up, but I'm not a GRUB guru.....I've always let the live DVD installer handle the initial install and setup of GRUB, all I do it delete entries as needed due to updates. If all else fails you could always redo the install with both drives hooked up and just make sure you pick the right options for the dual boot setup.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

monkey1911 wrote:The GRUB boot loader needs to be installed in the MBR of your Primary boot hard drive. By installing Mint with your Primary drive removed, GRUB was installed to your 2nd drives MBR.
That is correct.

Boot up into your Mint system, open a terminal and type the following to find out the names of the two drives in the computer:

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
The output will show something similar to below just before listing each drive's partitions:
Model: ATA WDC WD6400AAKS-2 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 640GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
The bolded part is what you are looking for on both drives. They will probably be /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, so that's what I'll use below. If yours have different names, use those.

Now to install grub to the 1st drive:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Then update grub's menu:

sudo update-grub
Reboot and you should now get choice of Windows or Mint.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

For future reference here is a guide on how to set up a dual boot using two separate drives. This is how I do mine and it works great. In fact my Linux drive actually has two linux installs. One for regular use and another partition I keep for testing new distros.

[url]http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/07/23/dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7-on-a-computer-with-2-hard-drives/[/url]
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

derekdgl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by derekdgl »

Hi thanks for that I will try your advice and post results

Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

I, too, dual boot my machines. sda has Windows and sdb has several different Linux flavors. I generally leave sda alone and let grub handle sdb. If I want to boot into Linux on startup, I press ESC on my notebook to get a boot menu which allows me to select the drive I wish to boot to.
Linux User #384279

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

If I want to boot into Linux on startup, I press ESC on my notebook to get a boot menu which allows me to select the drive I wish to boot to.
Smart man.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

derekdgl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by derekdgl »

Biker wrote:I, too, dual boot my machines. sda has Windows and sdb has several different Linux flavors. I generally leave sda alone and let grub handle sdb. If I want to boot into Linux on startup, I press ESC on my notebook to get a boot menu which allows me to select the drive I wish to boot to.
Hi I could do that it is f11 on the desktop PC and you have to be watching to press f11 in time. i prefer a menu option which give you a chance to decide on what os

derekdgl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by derekdgl »

went with f11 boot option after all

Return to “Newbie Questions”