Application Appearance does not save changes between reboots

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yiannis

Application Appearance does not save changes between reboots

Post by Yiannis »

Dear all,

Lately I got some more time in my hands and I decided to delve into the Linux distro I have been using for the rest 2 years by starting from the basics: the appearance of my desktop. I have a Linux Mint 13 KDE dual boot with W7 with an ATI Radeon hd5470 1gb graphics card.

I went to KDE systems settings and I played with "Application Appearance" and "Workspace Appearance". And then disaster.

After the first reboot the font colour of the folders' text is white on a white background but only when I open a window (i.e.Home). When I highlight a folder (single left click) this becomes black. No matter how I change it (and save it) using different themes, colours, e.t.c. for every possible element of my desktop e.t.c. (especially when I change the settings in the "Application Appearance" Colors tab) after a reboot the colours (or lack of them) re-appear as if I touched nothing. It is as if the "Application Appearance" and "Workspace Appearance" do not respond at all in my laptop.

This has been happening for the last month and I am unable to find something online.

Could someone help me or point me to a useful source of info about this? I also have to say that I am completely newbie so I might have difficulties understanding some of your wording.

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Application Appearance does not save changes between reb

Post by caribriz »

Hi Yiannis,

I tried to recreate what you described - I set it so the home folder had white text under the icons on the white background.
And when I opened a file, the text was "invisible".

This rectified it for me (but you may have already tried this)

Go to Application Appearance > Colors > Scheme tab
Choose Default
At bottom left of window, click Defaults
A window may pop up, click Continue
At bottom right of window, click Apply
Logout/in

The appearance was back to the original black text on white background under icons in home folder.
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

Hi caribriz,

Thanks for your swift reply. I used the defaults button a couple of times already but nothing happened, both at the time of reverting to defaults and after a reboot. I was wondering if there is some kind of cache for system settings that needs to be emptied (?).

I think if I don't manage to get it sorted I might need to consider upgrading my distro and hope for the problem to be solved.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Yiannis,

Sorry it didn't fix your problem. I suspected you might have already tried it ...
It's a strange one :? Unfortunately, I don't know what else to suggest.
Hopefully, someone else will come along with some more ideas on how to fix it.

Good luck -
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

Hi caribriz,,

No worries. Many thanks for your time and effort. Maybe it's time for me to do an upgrade/fresh installation. They say if it works don't touch it but in my case it seems that I need to "touch" it. But the problem is a real bugger.

Many thanks again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”