I updated, and this happened

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
coqi28
Level 1
Level 1

I updated, and this happened

Post by coqi28 »

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Bn3jAiY.png[/img]
In synaptics:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/CFVjj9K.png[/img]

I tried to uninstall one of the 2, but then both network icons disappeared.
How do i fix this?

I'm using linux mint 16 mate

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: I updated, and this happened

Post by xenopeek »

On a clean install of Linux Mint 16 those packages are all also installed. So that's not the problem. Checking with `dpkg -l | grep network-manager` gives:

Code: Select all

ii  network-manager             0.9.8.0-0ubuntu22     amd64    network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
ii  network-manager-gnome       0.9.8.0-1ubuntu5      amd64    network management framework (GNOME frontend)
ii  network-manager-pptp        0.9.8.2-1ubuntu2      amd64    network management framework (PPTP plugin core)
ii  network-manager-pptp-gnome  0.9.8.2-1ubuntu2      amd64    network management framework (PPTP plugin GNOME GUI)
How did you install Linux Mint 16. Clean install or in-place upgrade?

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

coqi,

The packages look OK - I have the same on mine.

It might have setup another connection. Check the connection files in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections Most likely there's two of them and you can move the wrong one to some other folder to test it or remove it after disabling the connection from the applet.

Good luck :wink:
ImageImage

coqi28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coqi28 »

xenopeek wrote:On a clean install of Linux Mint 16 those packages are all also installed. So that's not the problem. Checking with `dpkg -l | grep network-manager` gives:

ii  network-manager             0.9.8.0-0ubuntu22     amd64    network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
ii  network-manager-gnome       0.9.8.0-1ubuntu5      amd64    network management framework (GNOME frontend)
ii  network-manager-pptp        0.9.8.2-1ubuntu2      amd64    network management framework (PPTP plugin core)
ii  network-manager-pptp-gnome  0.9.8.2-1ubuntu2      amd64    network management framework (PPTP plugin GNOME GUI)
How did you install Linux Mint 16. Clean install or in-place upgrade?
It's a clean install, by update, i mean i used the update-manager to install security and package updates
Using dpkg -l | grep network-manager showed

ii  network-manager                             0.9.8.8-0ubuntu1~saucy1                 i386         network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
ii  network-manager-gnome                       0.9.8.4-0ubuntu1~saucy1                 i386         network management framework (GNOME frontend)
ii  network-manager-pptp                        0.9.8.2-1ubuntu2                        i386         network management framework (PPTP plugin core)
coqi,

The packages look OK - I have the same on mine.

It might have setup another connection. Check the connection files in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections Most likely there's two of them and you can move the wrong one to some other folder to test it or remove it after disabling the connection from the applet.
On that folder, there's only one file, which has the name of the wifi network that i'm currently connected to.
[url]http://i.imgur.com/SkqHWwZ.png[/url]

Thank you.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

coqi,

By any chance is there an entry in /etc/network/interfaces :?:
ImageImage

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Do you have both wireless and LAN ports being used at the same time?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

coqi,

Also what does this return :?:

inxi -n
ImageImage

coqi28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coqi28 »

WharfRat wrote:coqi,

By any chance is there an entry in /etc/network/interfaces :?:
The folder is empy:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QIQtVul.png[/img]
Spearmint2 wrote: Do you have both wireless and LAN ports being used at the same time?
No, only wifi.

Also what does this return :?:

inxi -n
Retuns this:

Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: ------------------------ 
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver: iwl3945 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: ------------------------
i didn't write here my mac address.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

coqi,

I'm perplexed :?

Right click on each of those applets, choose connection information and take a screen shot of each and attach them to your response.

Use the Upload attachment tab at the bottom of the text entry area.
ImageImage

RageRiot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RageRiot »

it looks like you have a additional network applet icon and somtimes does the same on my system

asuming they show the same infomation when you click them ( they relate to the same interface and are not sepperate applets for different interface) then you just need to right click and remove the duplicate.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Have you clked on each of those icons and chosen properties to see which one goes to what? You don't have internal wireless but chose to use a wireless fob for greater range or some other reason, so that you have two turned on, even if only one is actually connected? Have you tried right clk and disabling either one of them, turn it off.

When I leave my computer each day, I disable the networking icon and set the lock (CTRL-ALT-L), then enable it again when I want to use internet. See which one turns off but leaves you with internet, or vice versa.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

coqi28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coqi28 »

I'm perplexed :?

Right click on each of those applets, choose connection information and take a screen shot of each and attach them to your response.

Use the Upload attachment tab at the bottom of the text entry area.
The 1.png is the one next to the volume icon, the 3.png is the one next to the battery icon
RageRiot wrote:it looks like you have a additional network applet icon and somtimes does the same on my system

asuming they show the same infomation when you click them ( they relate to the same interface and are not sepperate applets for different interface) then you just need to right click and remove the duplicate.
I tried that but i don't get any move or delete option

Spearmint2 wrote:
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Have you clked on each of those icons and chosen properties to see which one goes to what? You don't have internal wireless but chose to use a wireless fob for greater range or some other reason, so that you have two turned on, even if only one is actually connected? Have you tried right clk and disabling either one of them, turn it off.

When I leave my computer each day, I disable the networking icon and set the lock (CTRL-ALT-L), then enable it again when I want to use internet. See which one turns off but leaves you with internet, or vice versa.
Well, ehem, i do have an internal wireless card: [url]http://www.amazon.com/Intel-wireless-3945ABG-Network-Connection/dp/B000EDQOK8[/url]
If i disconnect from one of the two applets, both applets disconnects, and so theres no internet
I don't use the ethernet connection because, well, i have a laptop, the point of laptops is being cable free, isn't it?
Attachments
3.png
1.png

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

You seem to just have two instances of the same program on the panel. Remove one of them.

hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hoppimike »

Well, I updated, and THIS happened! :shock:

[url=http://oi40.tinypic.com/155ospk.jpg][img]http://i39.tinypic.com/1z50zsj.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by hoppimike on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coqi28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coqi28 »

In the end, gived up, i reinstalled linux mint, then update and this time all went right, this issue shall remain as a mistery :shock:

RageRiot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RageRiot »

coqi28 wrote:In the end, gived up, i reinstalled linux mint, then update and this time all went right, this issue shall remain as a mistery :shock:

good to hear you are now up and running somtimes a reinstall can be the quickest solution if it'ss fresh to begin with but it's worth digging a bit deeper somtimes especially if you are in a situation where you can just reinstall because you seriously b0rked it :P

I moved to linux about 2-3 months ago but after the first 3 - 4 weeks I reinstalled before my sister came to visit for my birthday, since I got used to the system and tested stuff I wanted to apply what I learnt to get things set up such as gfx driver and I wanted to install it to my SSD where I had originaly has window 7. I just need to drives for storage after learning fstab and then setup my media server. me and my sister love watching lots of sci-fi it was a robot themed week for us :)

good luck in your venture with linux.

coqi28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coqi28 »

RageRiot wrote:
coqi28 wrote:In the end, gived up, i reinstalled linux mint, then update and this time all went right, this issue shall remain as a mistery :shock:

good to hear you are now up and running somtimes a reinstall can be the quickest solution if it'ss fresh to begin with but it's worth digging a bit deeper somtimes especially if you are in a situation where you can just reinstall because you seriously b0rked it :P

I moved to linux about 2-3 months ago but after the first 3 - 4 weeks I reinstalled before my sister came to visit for my birthday, since I got used to the system and tested stuff I wanted to apply what I learnt to get things set up such as gfx driver and I wanted to install it to my SSD where I had originaly has window 7. I just need to drives for storage after learning fstab and then setup my media server. me and my sister love watching lots of sci-fi it was a robot themed week for us :)

good luck in your venture with linux.
Thank you, and about the SSD,by the way you wrote it, you're implying that you have your movies in the SSD, i would recommend you only to use the SSD for the OS, as SSD have a very limited working life, i think most SSD have at max 100,000 I/o operations at which point it would break (pretty sure this is programmed obsolence).

RageRiot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RageRiot »

coqi28 wrote:
Thank you, and about the SSD,by the way you wrote it, you're implying that you have your movies in the SSD, i would recommend you only to use the SSD for the OS, as SSD have a very limited working life, i think most SSD have at max 100,000 I/o operations at which point it would break (pretty sure this is programmed obsolence).
sorry, maybe I did come accross a little confussing there. I intended to say I setup linux mint on my 64GB SSD and then configured fstab to mount my other HDDs (1TB and 3 TB).
fstab is the configuration file for static mount points. by default linux mint only mount the system drives so all other storage drives would need to be mounted manually by clicking in a file manager, but for the ps3 media server I can configure it to starp on boot up and have instant access to my media.

MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

coqi28 wrote:Thank you, and about the SSD,by the way you wrote it, you're implying that you have your movies in the SSD, i would recommend you only to use the SSD for the OS, as SSD have a very limited working life, i think most SSD have at max 100,000 I/o operations at which point it would break (pretty sure this is programmed obsolence).
Isn't that well enough known by now that they've added "leveling(?) code to the things? So that you won't see a sector that failed due to 10,000+ writes when the average (writes per sector) across the drive is only, say, 4,325?

I still wouldn't use one for data that I didn't have any practical need to retrieve faster than I could get it from a magnetic hard drive, but that's because of the expense (how many percent more would a 1tb SSD cost than a 1 tb magnetic drive?). YMMV, of course.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Newbie Questions”