Change default password length

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ryland
Level 1
Level 1

Change default password length

Post by Ryland »

I tried to change the password I set during installation of Mint Cinnamon but there is a restriction in place requiring 8 characters, although not during installation! I choose to run with a 6 character password and don't like my computer telling me what I am allowed to do or not do.

Could somebody just tell me where the necessary configuration file is so I can change it.

(please don't reply with security lectures, I prefer to make my own decisions - no offence - :-)

stratus_ss
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Change default password length

Post by stratus_ss »

you should be able to set any password you like by logging in as root and changing the password

Code: Select all

sudo su -
passwd <your user>

Ryland
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ryland »

That's what I thought until tried it :(

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 »

Warning: Edit this file incorrectly could pose a serious security risk on your machine.

Open the /etc/login.defs file with administrative rights and look for the line beginning with:

Code: Select all

PASS_MIN_LEN
Change the number on that line to the desired minimum length.

Got to love NSA Linux security manuals.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

Ryland
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ryland »

Thanks,I went to login_defs and that said it was deprecated by pam.d so I put "minlen=6" in common-password and then from a further google search removed "obscue" from /usr/share/pam-configs/unix

It seemsto have fixed it for me but I may have gone further than i needed to. Thanks to everyone for thier help. I will mark this post as solved.

Ryland
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Change default password length - resolved

Post by Ryland »

Thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”