mint 16 cinnamon freezes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Tejas_0
Level 3
Level 3

Re: mint 16 cinnamon freezes

Post by Tejas_0 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:52 pm

pit_blk wrote:
Tejas_0 wrote:
Delgesu wrote:Same problem here; specially when running Youtube. Never had this problem with Nadia (Mint 14)
Started having this problem with Nadia 4 mths ago. Now also experience same problem. Notice that FF rips thru swap space and ptr frozen. Remeday: Quickly Ctl+Alt+F1: ps -e and kill Flash plugin container.
O.k. thats it!!! Many thanks. I can provoke the freeze by playing youtube videos.
But I can not reach the Console in time
:wink:
  1. Normally run FF from command line with low priority: nice -n 10 firefox or from Console/Terminal renice it like so renice -n 10 -p pid (ps -C firefox will give pid) Verify with top
  2. Remember before YT to go to Console and find Flash plugin pid
  3. Get kill <pid> ready. Then (Alt+F8)
pit_blk wrote:So, what to do with this annoying Flash plugin container? Are there any solutions? Disable Flash plugin in Firefox and not watching youtube videos in mint 16?!?
Normal procedure that works for me:
  • Using extension QuickJava or PrefBar, turn off JavaScript, Flash, Java.
  • Browsing YT turn on JS/F
  • Watch until freeze, or Download using FlashGot / Flash and Video Download extensions
  • When Download starts turn off JS/F
  • Watch at leisure using something like VLC player
pit_blk wrote:So, what to do with this annoying Flash plugin container? Are there any solutions?
IMHO don't think it's so much to do with the Flash Plugin. Rather, an awkward YT script that sends FF JavaScript interpreter into a tizzy, looping on the Flash Plugin. So killing the Flash breaks the loop, and I have sometimes on return to X been greeted with the Unresponsive Script dialog, the unresponsive script being some system script, while the real culprit I have not been able to lay my hands on. :twisted: In the process have blocked a whole load of YT scripts, a side effect of which, being a faster computer. :idea:
Release: Linux Mint 16 "petra"
Edition: Cinnamon 32-bit
Linux mint 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:12:00 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux

Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Previous1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:45 pm

IMHO don't think it's so much to do with the Flash Plugin. Rather, an awkward YT script that sends FF JavaScript interpreter into a tizzy, looping on the Flash Plugin.
I can confirm the issue is only on youtube, any other flash videos had no problems in FF.
So, what to do with this annoying Flash plugin container? Are there any solutions?
The "solution" I've found was switch to Google Chrome...

Code: Select all

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list'
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable
I also went to chrome://flags and enabled (against stuttering)

Code: Select all

#ignore-gpu-blacklist
#force-compositing-mode-2
edit: enabling ignore-gpu-blacklist is bad advice and prone to crashing as well.
Last edited by Previous1 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit

pit_blk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pit_blk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:56 am

Thank you Tejas_0 and Previous1 for your answers. It sounds somehow complicated and I hope there is a better flash-plugin soon.

In the meanwhile my linux mint 16 hung two times again, despite I haven't used yt, but with opened ff with nearly all plugins disabled. So there must be some other problem. Because I have to work, I switched to ubuntu 12.04 for today and will go back to the nice minty 16, when I have more time....
“The question is not: do you have something to hide? The question is whether we control government or the government controls us?” Oliver Stone on NSA Spying

demonr6
Level 1
Level 1

Post by demonr6 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 am

I am having a similar issue when browsing that causes the lockup. I have experienced it on both Firefox and Chromium browsers. I cannot pinpoint if it happens while the page is loading or during normal browsing. The random number of times it has happened it has always been when I was on a forum and Flash is not involved but there is a lot of image loading going on for sure so possibly that is a culprit? When this happens I have control of the mouse but nothing else. I can however keyboard CTRL ALT Home my way out and back to the login which is better than having to manually shut down my laptop. Never had this issue before on the other distros of LM. It is annoying enough that I may have to downgrade because my primary use for this laptop is Internet use, checking eMail etc.

Tejas_0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tejas_0 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:38 pm

demonr6 wrote:The random number of times it has happened it has always been when I was on a forum and Flash is not involved but there is a lot of image loading going on for sure so possibly that is a culprit?
Try getting an Extension like QuickJava or PrefBar. They enable one to easily toggle Image Loading and Animated Images On & Off. See if switching them off helps.
Release: Linux Mint 16 "petra"
Edition: Cinnamon 32-bit
Linux mint 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:12:00 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux

pit_blk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pit_blk » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:17 am

Hello,

I would like to give a short status on my mint cinnamon freezes and what I found out in the meantime.
The freezes could be provoked by using Firefox and Youtube (as mentioned above).
I found out, that there was another problem with my ATI HD7790 and the proprietary fglrx-driver I used. I tried different ones, always installing like described here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/124292/w ... 513#126513
Main problem is, that there is no stable fglrx for saucy salamander. So you have to install the ones for raring, which in my case seemed to work first, but in the end caused the hang up of my system.

When I removed the fglrx-drivers completely, I got no more freezes. But: I got a very high CPU-load and Cinnamon was running in software-rendering mode. This is because the free radeon driver is buggy (Gallium 0.4) and is running in 2D mode. I think a bugfix is on the way, but I dont know how long we have to wait for it in linux mint 16.

So I switched back to ubuntu 12.04 LTS. But hey, its a nice linux also ;-)

Pit
“The question is not: do you have something to hide? The question is whether we control government or the government controls us?” Oliver Stone on NSA Spying

Gremuchnik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gremuchnik » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Ok. I can confirm the following:

1. It is not only YouTube. I have the same freezeup with other flash sites
2. So far, with me its only FF - never had it with Chrome, though I spend 99% of my time on FF.
3. I usually get a console via atrl+alt+F3. I tried killall firefox && sudo restart mdm but I cannot unfreeze the system.
4. I have not found anything in the logs.

I am on LM 16 Petra 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu Cinammon

Thanks,

G.

AnalBeard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AnalBeard » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:04 am

Can anyone who has experienced this issue confirm whether they have a setup similar to mine? I have a discrete GPU alongside my built-in GPU and Bumblebee manages the usage of the discrete chip as it sees fit.

I made a thread here - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=154275

hmvs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hmvs » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:07 pm

I have same issue, usually provoked by the video on different sites, but actually it's not the one case, it could be just a regular site.
Have two identical pcs, and have problem only on one of that.
in syslog and xorg log nothing that could help.
Do you have some solution or workaround?
Mint 16 Mate
Thanks

bibilmc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bibilmc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:52 am

Clear your browser history.Then Change the login password and root password

hmvs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hmvs » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Fixed by updating intel ingerated video drivers directly from intel video drivers repository.

lemmingNO3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lemmingNO3 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:12 pm

Lots of freezes

Mint 16 Petra
HP-Pavilion Media Center m8000n
NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430]
X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1680x1050@52.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.37 Direct Rendering: Yes
Driver: Nvida-173 Version 172.14.37-Oubuntu-4

I have FF open, but generally am not using it when freezes happen. I might be switching workspaces or editing a document, or upon returning to the computer just discover it is now frozen.

Has there been a fix for this yet? Or are we waiting for Mint 17???

Hulksmash
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hulksmash » Tue May 20, 2014 8:20 pm

I too, have this Nvidia GeForce nForce 430 on an HP Pavilion desktop. I was forced to stop using Mint after trying every single driver for this card. My system hung seemingly at random times. Will this be fixed in Linux Mint 17?

BillybobT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BillybobT » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:34 pm

Reorx wrote:What you are calling "freezing" might just be "pausing" i.e. poor performance... usually seen when viewing webpages with a lot of crap (scripts) and/or video on them OR when you have a lot of windows open. If your "freezing" is not related to web browsing then you might be right in that it may actually be a lockup. There was a topic here about this type of thing recently >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=148677
Not only does it freeze, but it stutters the audio and after about a minute it resets the computer.
Intel i5 3570K 3.4GHz
16GB Kingston Ram
2TB Seagate + 2TB Seagate + 750GB Hitachi + 2TB Seagate + 250GB WD external
nvidia GeForce 8800GT
Dual Acer 21" A221HQV
Mint 13 64, Ultimate Edition 3.5 64, Pinguy 11.10 64, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64

BillybobT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BillybobT » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:38 pm

It isn't just YouTube videos. Many other videos cause my PC to freeze and after a minute my PC reboots.
Intel i5 3570K 3.4GHz
16GB Kingston Ram
2TB Seagate + 2TB Seagate + 750GB Hitachi + 2TB Seagate + 250GB WD external
nvidia GeForce 8800GT
Dual Acer 21" A221HQV
Mint 13 64, Ultimate Edition 3.5 64, Pinguy 11.10 64, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:59 am

BillybobT
This thread is nearly 2 and a half years old
Please start a new thread with your question

Return to “Newbie Questions”