mint 16 cinnamon freezes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pit_blk

mint 16 cinnamon freezes

Post by pit_blk »

I installed mint 16 cinnamon (64bit) - I like it a lot, much more than ubuntu/unity. Mint/Cinnamon is really great work!!

But while thinking about to use it as productive system and using it more often, I found out the system is freezing completely :-(
No possibility to get a console, no cinnamon replace possible. I have to do a Reset every time, with loosing all data in open programs ...
And I dont get any "error" warnings etc. and so I have no idea where to look for bugfixing ??
How should I proceed?

On the same PC I have Ubuntu (precise) 12.04.3 (64bit) running smoothly for one year now, with (nearly) no problems at all.

Thanks a lot for your help

Pit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Stratacast1

Re: mint 16 cinnamon freezes

Post by Stratacast1 »

So far out of my 2 computers (custom built PC and a Dell XPS L521x) I've only had one freeze that happened randomly. Save frequently? Maybe there will be a fix some day. Just gotta remember that 16 isn't an LTS so there will be bugs, especially compared to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which has been out a while now and is the current polished version.
Delgesu

Post by Delgesu »

Same problem here; specially when running Youtube. Never had this problem with Nadia (Mint 14)
Mohr

Post by Mohr »

Same problem here - though if you wait very long - it's ok again. But it takes about 5 Min.
I then changed to Mate - with only one line of command in the terminal. Works wonderfully.
(The very line - I don't remember - was something like "get-app or so... ". Was here from the forum ... :roll:
Delgesu

Post by Delgesu »

That's too bad because I really get used to Cinnamon, and I really like it (tiling, for instance)
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

What you are calling "freezing" might just be "pausing" i.e. poor performance... usually seen when viewing webpages with a lot of crap (scripts) and/or video on them OR when you have a lot of windows open. If your "freezing" is not related to web browsing then you might be right in that it may actually be a lockup. There was a topic here about this type of thing recently >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=148677
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
pit_blk

Post by pit_blk »

Reorx wrote:What you are calling "freezing" might just be "pausing" i.e. poor performance... usually seen when viewing webpages with a lot of crap (scripts) and/or video on them OR when you have a lot of windows open. If your "freezing" is not related to web browsing then you might be right in that it may actually be a lockup. There was a topic here about this type of thing recently >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=148677
no, in my case it is no "pausing" - which would be o.k. to fetch a cup of tea ;-)
It is really a lockup. Nothing I can do, only RESET helps.

I think about deinstalling the fglrx drivers (which worked reliable in mint 15 for me) or doing a fresh install of mint 16 ... but this would be a pitty, because everything was on place and seemed to work fluently :-(

pit
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Systems hate hard reboots... have you tried > Alt+SysReq(PrntScr)+R-E-I-S-U-B ???
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

try to test with newer kernel, such as 3.12.4
pit_blk

Post by pit_blk »

Reorx wrote:Systems hate hard reboots... have you tried > Alt+SysReq(PrntScr)+R-E-I-S-U-B ???
Me hating RESETs, too. But I have seen the mouse-pointer freeze, even the NUM-LOCK does not work.
I tried STRG+ALT+F1 ... to get a Terminal - nothing.

I will try the shortcut above to restart next time. Maybe I'll find something helpfull in the logs, if doing it this way.

Thank you Reorx for the hint!
Delgesu

Post by Delgesu »

Does the Mint team know about this problem ? :?:
pit_blk

Post by pit_blk »

Delgesu wrote:Does the Mint team know about this problem ? :?:
no, dont think so. Because I do not know what to report - no logs no errors - ??

BTW. The System froze again, 10min. ago. The shortcuts mentioned by Reorx did not work ...

clueless

pit
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

pit_blk wrote:
Reorx wrote:Systems hate hard reboots... have you tried > Alt+SysReq(PrntScr)+R-E-I-S-U-B ???
Me hating RESETs, too. But I have seen the mouse-pointer freeze, even the NUM-LOCK does not work.
I tried STRG+ALT+F1 ... to get a Terminal - nothing.

I will try the shortcut above to restart next time. Maybe I'll find something helpfull in the logs, if doing it this way.

Thank you Reorx for the hint!
It is done by depressing and holding down the Alt key and the SysReq (PrntScr) key and then typing slowly (with the other hand) r - e - i - s - u - b. This will reboot the system. If you substitute an o for the b at the end, it will shut down the system. Try it on an idle system to see how it works before trying it during a lock up...

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:

Image Image Image
pit_blk

Post by pit_blk »

Reorx wrote: It is done by depressing and holding down the Alt key and the SysReq (PrntScr) key and then typing slowly (with the other hand) r - e - i - s - u - b. This will reboot the system. If you substitute an o for the b at the end, it will shut down the system. Try it on an idle system to see how it works before trying it during a lock up...

Enjoy the Mint! :mrgreen:
You are right ... it works on a idle system - but we shouldnt call it shortcut :-(
Unfortunately it did not work, when mint freezes ... in my case.
I hope there is no hardware problem on my machine --- but ubuntu 12.04 was running very well during the last months.

I'll enjoy the mint, but I'm very :?:
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Have you tried wayne's suggestion?

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/12/kernel-3-12-4-install-upgrade-ubuntu-linux/
pit_blk

Post by pit_blk »

Previous1 wrote:Have you tried wayne's suggestion?

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2013/12/kernel-3-12-4-install-upgrade-ubuntu-linux/

Thank you Previous1 for the link - without that I wouldn't have tried !
So my mint 16 is running now with kernel 3.12.4
uname -a : Linux blkrav-mint-16 3.12.4-031204-generic #201312081207 SMP Sun Dec 8 17:08:59 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Let's see, what is happening the next hours ;-)

Thanks for your help so far!
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

Delgesu wrote:Same problem here; specially when running Youtube. Never had this problem with Nadia (Mint 14)
Started having this problem with Nadia 4 mths ago. Now also experience same problem. Notice that FF rips thru swap space and ptr frozen. Remeday: Quickly Ctl+Alt+F1: ps -e and kill Flash plugin container.
chroma601

Post by chroma601 »

When one attempts this, do you use two fingers to hold down the first two keys while typing the sequence that follows, or (gasp) all at once?
Of course I'm a noob...

I should mention I had to abandon Cinnamon for MATE. I loved Cinnamon, but my older laptop wasn't up to it. MATE has been just fine!
Tejas_0

Post by Tejas_0 »

chroma601 wrote:do you use two fingers to hold down the first two keys
Right hand.
chroma601 wrote:while typing the sequence that follows,
Left hand. Should work :D
pit_blk

Post by pit_blk »

Tejas_0 wrote:
Delgesu wrote:Same problem here; specially when running Youtube. Never had this problem with Nadia (Mint 14)
Started having this problem with Nadia 4 mths ago. Now also experience same problem. Notice that FF rips thru swap space and ptr frozen. Remeday: Quickly Ctl+Alt+F1: ps -e and kill Flash plugin container.

O.k. thats it!!! Many thanks. I can provoke the freeze by playing youtube videos.
But I can not reach the Console in time

AND Thanks to Reorx and the others:
Alt+SysReq(PrntScr)+R-E-I-S-U-B
does work! No more RESET ;-)

So, what to do with this annoying Flash plugin container? Are there any solutions? Disable Flash plugin in Firefox and not watching youtube videos in mint 16?!?

Return to “Beginner Questions”