older software and new hardware

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LISABLUEANGEL
Level 1
Level 1

older software and new hardware

Post by LISABLUEANGEL »

is it true that you cannot run an older edition of liuxmint- say like isadora 9 on a brand new laptop thats not even 4mos old! i just wanted to know if you have to stick with a certain type of software meant for your type of hardware? say like can run petra cinnamon on this laptop but not isadora 9 because the modem chipset was too new for isadora 9...... i tried it and it failed.....
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: older software and new hardware

Post by gold_finger »

I would say "that depends". A "new" laptop doesn't necessarily mean you have components that are bleeding-edge new that lack linux drivers. If it's closer to a top-of-the-line model with newer graphics card, etc. then "yes" probably. But the main problem you have by choosing Mint 9 is that it is a version no longer supported by updates. So, if you had a lower to mid-range new laptop, the components MAY have been supportable under Mint 9, but you won't know that because you can't update it anymore to find out.

Best bet is to choose a version that is still supported by updates: 13, 14, 16 -- don't bother with 15, support for it ends in January.

Can I ask: Were you wanting Mint 9 Isadora for any particular reason?
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
LISABLUEANGEL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LISABLUEANGEL »

well,gold finger i really liked the look and feel of isadora 9 and im really in love with it! but i cannot get connected to the internet out of the box like i can with number 16 petra.....
so im going to stick with petra since everything works on it with my new laptop!
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

The big part of the issue is not really the age of the distro release. The big part is the kernel version. Newer kernels solve bugs, security issues and support newer hardware (new or "re-written" drivers). The minor part is that most packages - if not all - will also be outdated and remain unfixed.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

@LISABLUEANGEL,
LISABLUEANGEL wrote:well,gold finger i really liked the look and feel of isadora 9 and im really in love with it! but i cannot get connected to the internet out of the box like i can with number 16 petra.....
so im going to stick with petra since everything works on it with my new laptop!
Don't know which flavor of Mint you picked for 16, but if you haven't tried Xfce and/or Mate, try those -- they are closer in look and feel to what 9 was (assuming you used the gnome2 version for that). Just burn live DVD/USB's for those and try them out.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Newbie Questions”