Hover text on panel is black, need white (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
choochooal
Level 2
Level 2

Hover text on panel is black, need white (SOLVED)

Post by choochooal »

Screenshot.png
When I hover any running program or app etc on the panel in Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon, the text explanation like "firefox" or "banshee" shows up above the panel in black. Great but my wallpaper is black (or rather dark) and I can't see the text.
Also if I'm editing the text on a desktop icon, its normally white on blue (theme color) but when I hit F2 to rename the icon the text turns black again. It's the same thing, maybe the same setting but at least the same effect.
I've been all over several cinnamon.css files looking for any kinda setting.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. Dual boot with Windows 10
caribriz

Re: Hover text on panel is black, need white

Post by caribriz »

Hi choochooal,

I was going to respond in this other thread:
[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=149147#p781509[/url]
but will do it here instead ...

I'm not sure why, but I had to copy/paste a section of another theme's cinnamon.css file to get this to work in the theme from the other thread -
Ambiance-Minty-2.

In the cinnamon.css file of Ambiance-Minty-2, I "commented out" the StTooltip StLabel section of the file, and pasted this text under it:

Code: Select all

#Tooltip {
	color: #ffffff;
	background-gradient-direction: vertical;
	background-gradient-start: #648fb3;
        background-gradient-end: #446bae;	
	border: 1px solid rgba(255,255,255,0.1);
	border-radius: 3px;
	padding: 3px 10px;
	font-weight: normal;
	text-align: center;
}
That section of cinnamon.css for Ambiance-Minty-2 now looks like this:
cinnamon.css-in-Ambiance-Minty-2.png
Saved the file, logged out/in.

The panel tooltips in the theme now look like this:
cinnamon-Ambiance-Minty-2.png
If you didn't want the tooltips to have a background color, again comment out the StTooltip StLabel section and just put these lines under that section instead:

Code: Select all

#Tooltip {
	color: #ffffff;
	font-weight: normal;
	text-align: center;
}
Again, save the file, logout/in.

To get this:
Ambiance-Minty-2-with-white-panel-tooltips.png
Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix the other problem of the editing of desktop icon text color - except to say that I think it's not a cinnamon theme
(cinnamon.css) problem, but it's part of the gtk3 theme, the "Controls" theme you choose.

I think you would have to add a "desktop-mode" section to the file nemo.css in the /gtk-3.0/apps/nemo.css of your chosen gtk3 theme.
.... but I have had no luck with this myself.
choochooal
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Hover text on panel is black, need white

Post by choochooal »

Thanks a lot. This is close enough to get me in the ballpark. I can experiment and get what I want, I'm sure. Thanks again.
And it works like a charm. White with black background! Perfect for my needs!. I'll log this in my "tweaks" doc. I log every tweak I do when I install, so if I do a fresh upgrade I know where and what to do to get everything back to my desires. Backups are good but system updates can possibly overwrite files.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. Dual boot with Windows 10

Return to “Beginner Questions”