How to disable PrtSc in Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rishiddh

Re: How to disable PrtSc in Cinnamon

Post by rishiddh »

phd21 wrote:Hi "rishiddh" and "chenaren", etc...

I just updated my text and screenshots from my last reply, please re-read it.

There are various screenshot (print screen, screen capture) applications available in addition to the default screenshot application that comes with each edition and version of Linux Mint.

"Shutter" is a great screenshot (print screen) application that anyone can install using the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), or using their PPA. It has many features.

"Ksnip" is another excellent, newly updated, screenshot application with a built-in painter editor, and can upload to "imgur" image hosting website. See post on "Ksnip" in this forum.
FYI - "ksnip" really nice screen capture app with Imgur upload and built-in painter functions
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=260112&hilit=ksnip

If you change the trigger Key (accelerator shortcut key), or remove it using the Backspace key, through the System Settings menu, it should stick (unless you are using the Live test drive installation version of Linux Mint).

Hope this helps ...
Thank you phd21, Yes I was able to disable PrtSc key's function for screenshot. My primary query was about remapping PrtSc key to Menu(new thinkpak keypad layout does not have menu key and has PrtSc in its exact place). And I have been trying to remap this(which works) and keep the changes permanently(does not work). Hence I wanted to disable screenshot application on my computer as I read on another forum this would help, but it did not. Hence was just trying revert those changes :)

And Thank you for the application suggestions, I shall try those out :D
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Are you wanting that Alt + P shortcut to work like that? If so, sounds good. Or is it just not maintaining that setting when you log in? If so, I can modify the script to set that up for you. I posted later to forget it, but then edited that comment saying I sorted it and tested it successfully, so if you've not seen that, I'd give it another go (download it again with that wget command), as I tested it and found the standard PrtSc shortcuts no longer work, which I guess in this case is a good thing. xD

By the way, if you go into the keyboard settings GUI and set those shortcuts to something else, then it should undo the effects of the script, at least until log in.

So you'd also like the Menu key (the "Win" key, also know as "Super") to run the default screenshot program you had in the original post? Can do. Just confirm it and I'll see if I can update the script accordingly.

EDIT:

Can you just run this gsettings set com.linuxmint.mintmenu hot-key "Print" in a terminal, then see if it yields the desired result? If so, I'll add it to the script. It should work, but I can't get it to work in a virtual machine; might just be down to my setup and/or it being a virtual machine, though.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rishiddh

Post by rishiddh »

Termy wrote:Are you wanting that Alt + P shortcut to work like that? If so, sounds good. Or is it just not maintaining that setting when you log in? If so, I can modify the script to set that up for you. I posted later to forget it, but then edited that comment saying I sorted it and tested it successfully, so if you've not seen that, I'd give it another go (download it again with that wget command), as I tested it and found the standard PrtSc shortcuts no longer work, which I guess in this case is a good thing. xD

By the way, if you go into the keyboard settings GUI and set those shortcuts to something else, then it should undo the effects of the script, at least until log in.

So you'd also like the Menu key (the "Win" key, also know as "Super") to run the default screenshot program you had in the original post? Can do. Just confirm it and I'll see if I can update the script accordingly.

EDIT:

Can you just run this gsettings set com.linuxmint.mintmenu hot-key "Print" in a terminal, then see if it yields the desired result? If so, I'll add it to the script. It should work, but I can't get it to work in a virtual machine; might just be down to my setup and/or it being a virtual machine, though.
Hi Termy, yes I want Alt+P to take a screenshot, I have assigned this key combination in keyboard settings GUI. Since the default screenshot key was the PrtSc key, which is in place of context menu(sorry I did not mention this before) i.e. the menu that opens with right click.
The screenshot shortcut is maintained for every login.
Termy wrote: I tested it and found the standard PrtSc shortcuts no longer work, which I guess in this case is a good thing. xD
I don't want the original setting to not work, and remap the PrtSc(which is assigned as Print key) to context menu(Menu key). This is change is reverting everytime I login and I need to run the code line everytime. On another query string I found how to automatically run a script on boot, and I have done that for the remapping code(I dont really like this solution, it seems like a makeshift solution to me :P, but it does the job).
Thank you for all the help :)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Oh yeah, it's absolutely not the ideal solution, because it's just a workaround, but hey... it works. lol Until they fix whatever has gone wrong, or you find the actual solution, it hopefully will suffice.

The gsettings command to allow Alt + P to take a full screenshot is: gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.keybindings.media-keys screenshot "['<Alt>P']" I tested this just now and it works swimmingly. You can add that to the script, if you like, to enforce that setting.

Oh and you're welcome. :)
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rishiddh

Post by rishiddh »

Termy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 pm Oh yeah, it's absolutely not the ideal solution, because it's just a workaround, but hey... it works. lol Until they fix whatever has gone wrong, or you find the actual solution, it hopefully will suffice.

The gsettings command to allow Alt + P to take a full screenshot is: gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.keybindings.media-keys screenshot "['<Alt>P']" I tested this just now and it works swimmingly. You can add that to the script, if you like, to enforce that setting.

Oh and you're welcome. :)
Hi Termy,
I added this command too :). Works perfectly.
Thanks a lot :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”