System Tray Icons Missing.....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
badtlc
Level 1
Level 1

System Tray Icons Missing.....

Post by badtlc »

When I first installed LM 16, the software update started upon first login and the icon showed in the tray. After a reboot, the icon no longer shows.

Deluge also has this issue. When I first installed it and started it, the icon showed up fine. After reboot, the icon will not show up after starting the software.

I have checked that the processes for the update manager and deluge are running but still no icons. I have tried searching but this search engine won't let me search for icons.

What am I missing?

Thanks.
Mint 16 Xfce 64bit
Core 2 Duo @ 2.13 Ghz
2 GB RAM
NuxNubkins
Level 1
Level 1

Re: System Tray Icons Missing.....

Post by NuxNubkins »

The update manager is the last icon to load for me after I boot. While it occupies space on my System Tray applet, it appears blank until the system actually decides to load it. Is there a blank space where it should be, or are you simply seeing no icons in the System Tray? On KDE, I had to modify my System Tray applet settings to show the update manager once again. For some reason, it was hidden after an update. Right click the System Tray applet area, then choose the settings link. You should be able to modify what's hidden and what's shown. I show everything as a general rule, because I don't want to miss anything happening in the tray - it's gotten me out of having to deal with some malicious software on Windows in the past.
badtlc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: System Tray Icons Missing.....

Post by badtlc »

I had somehow removed my system tray applet. Once I loaded that applet, all the icons appeared as expected.

Now I have another problem. My windows list applet is centering all my open window bars instead of left justifying. How do I fix this?

Thanks.
Mint 16 Xfce 64bit
Core 2 Duo @ 2.13 Ghz
2 GB RAM

Return to “Newbie Questions”